Night Flying

Louie1975

2 Questions:
How is a displaced threshold identified at night? Are the red threshold lights put there? If not, there needs to be another way which I cannot seem to find.
Also, on runways/taxiways that have centerline lights, do the aircraft wheels(expecially small ones on a light GA aircraft) and centerline lights affect each other if you taxi/take off on centerline?

Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
2 Questions:
How is a displaced threshold identified at night? Are the red threshold lights put there? If not, there needs to be another way which I cannot seem to find.
Also, on runways/taxiways that have centerline lights, do the aircraft wheels(expecially small ones on a light GA aircraft) and centerline lights affect each other if you taxi/take off on centerline?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The green threshold lights mark the beginning of the threshold. The VASI will also be coincident with touching down in the usable portion of the runway.

2. CL and TDZL lights are recessed and have no effect on landing on top of them.

Thanks Mike, yea I just realized I wrote red lights when I meant green lights. I know red lights are at the end.

Louie

[ QUOTE ]
2. CL and TDZL lights are recessed and have no effect on landing on top of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although you can feel it when you hit them. I use that to my advantage when trying to get seemingly drunk students to taxi on the centerline. "Hit as many of those little bumps as you can!!!"

We do our best to avoid the centerline lights during takeoff. It becomes a nuisance and a concern for passengers if you bump-bump-bump down the runway. Normally rolling about 6 inches to the side of them does the job.

Since we're on the subject of night flying/lighting. Here's some interesting tidbits.....

Anyone ever seen an aeronautical light beacon/code beacon? A few airports have these. It's a type of airport identifier whereby a light (green for land) emits the airports ID in morse code in lieu of the airport beacon.

Some old federal airways also have a variation of this called a "course light" in which lights on the ground along a federal airway flash coded beams of light along the airway. These were designed in the days prior to electronic navaids, but a few can still be found in use today.

Also, anyone seen stop bar lights or taxiway clearance bar lights? Only place I've seen these is at SLC. Used during periods of low viz (below 12 RVR), stop bar lights are a series of red lights that run along the runway hold line as a "stop sign". When ATC clears an aircraft to enter the active, the red lights douse, and green taxiway centerline lead-on lights come on "leading" the plane into position for takeoff.

Clearance bar lights are yellow lights positioned across taxiways that, during low viz conditions, allow aircrews to know where to stop when given holding instructions during taxi, but prior to active runways. Also, runway guard lights that consist of elevated flashing yellow lights mark where runway and taxiway intersections exist to prevent inadverently turning onto a taxiway/runway intersection and creating a runway incursion.

Anyone remember the airport beacon for a hospital heliport?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hospital at home was just like the normal heliport light...Green, Yellow, White

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hospital at home was just like the normal heliport light...Green, Yellow, White

[/ QUOTE ]

Might not be standardized. Hospitals here are Green/Amber (yellow)/Red.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting...never seen such. I guess this good old country boy learns something new everyday.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting...never seen such. I guess this good old country boy learns something new everyday.
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just wondering if there is a standardiztion for this. Either one could be right.

I've never seen this and don't think I've seen it in the AIM. I really don't know. The Jepp private textbook lists:

Civilian land airport-Green, White
Heliport-Green, Yellow, White
Military-Green, White, White
Water airport- White, Yellow

It would be something good to find out though...Just in case I ever had a problem and wanted to know where to jump.
grin.gif

Ok, here's my old one question ground-eval. What does a green rotating beacon on an aircraft signify?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, here's my old one question ground-eval. What does a green rotating beacon on an aircraft signify?

[/ QUOTE ]

Engaged in AR.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Engaged in AR.

[/ QUOTE ]

In laymens(sp?) terms please?

BINGO for MikeD!!!

Paraphrasing from FLIP AP1B "A green rotating beacon is displayed on Navy/Marine aircraft involved in Air Refueling operations."

I always figured that if someone knew that trivial fact, then his head was so deep in the books that I probably couldn't stump him on knowledge of regs.

Back