NFCT

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Can a non-federal control tower issue violations/pilot dev's like an FAA tower can?

Mike,
Don't quote me because I'm not 100% sure but I don't think towers issue violations. All we do is forward the info on to ops and they probably contact fsdo and they handle it from there. I would imagine that COntract towers follow the same protocol

Mike,
Don't quote me because I'm not 100% sure but I don't think towers issue violations. All we do is forward the info on to ops and they probably contact fsdo and they handle it from there. I would imagine that COntract towers follow the same protocol

Oh ok. I wasn't sure myself if I was using the correct terminology, but you still answered what I was looking for, that all towers pretty much do the same thing in this regard. Have just always wondered if there was any difference here.

Can a non-federal control tower issue violations/pilot dev's like an FAA tower can?

For what its worth, when I was talking to the tower controllers (FAA) at MRI, they told me that if someone gets in trouble, they fill out a form and pass it up the chain of command, I'd assume (key word here) that NFCTs can too. The only one I can think of nearby is Allen AAF up at big delta, next time I head that direction (which won't be for awhile) I'll ask.

For what its worth, when I was talking to the tower controllers (FAA) at MRI, they told me that if someone gets in trouble, they fill out a form and pass it up the chain of command, I'd assume (key word here) that NFCTs can too. The only one I can think of nearby is Allen AAF up at big delta, next time I head that direction (which won't be for awhile) I'll ask.

As an FAA controller my career could hinge on reporting/not reporting. If I was a contract controller I wouldnt dream of jeapordizing someone elses career or passion. Id find other ways to communicate a need for more vigilance.

When I was flying into an NFCT (ASG) they were about the same as every other controller. Do your job and they don't care. Put the plane in a bad position or put your plane in a position to collide with another airplane and they will report you. The chain of command is more like Controller -> Supervisor -> NCFT Company Supervisor -> FAA Regional Controller Supervisor -> FSDO. Hope that helps.

oh absolutely. ANY tower (except for military) can issue a pilot deviation. FCT, NFCT, FAA, DOD towers are all bound by the same regulations. FAAO 7110.65

here is the regulation:

2-1-26. PILOT DEVIATION NOTIFICATION
When it appears that the actions of a pilot constitute a pilot deviation, notify the pilot, workload permitting.
PHRASEOLOGY-
(Identification) POSSIBLE PILOT DEVIATION ADVISE YOU CONTACT (facility) AT (telephone number).

[SIZE=-2]REFERENCE-
FAAO 8020.11, Aircraft Accident and Incident Notification, Investigation, and Reporting, Para 84, Pilot Deviations.[/SIZE]

it does not distinguish between a Non-Federal Contract Tower, a Federal Contract Tower, an FAA Tower, or a DOD Tower. if you screw up, it doesn't matter who signs the controllers paycheck...u screwed up and can be violated.

now if your DOD you are pretty much protected. the base commander is the determining authority, not FSDO. and as you can probably guess the base commander is going to rule in favor of his OFFICER pilots and not the ENLISTED air traffic controllers. no matter what just happened.

anyway...YES, a NFCT can violate you.

As an FAA controller my career could hinge on reporting/not reporting. If I was a contract controller I wouldnt dream of jeapordizing someone elses career or passion. Id find other ways to communicate a need for more vigilance.
but at the same time...if u could educate instead of violate, then by all means. do it.

plus, i don't want to do the paperwork. neither do YOU want me to do the paperwork. (were in agreement i'm sure)

i love reading that controllers have backbones. i kid i kid. seriously though it is good to see that if you can educate rather than violate then it is all good!

i know i am hijacking here a little bit but why do controllers feel it necessary to give a number knowing all good and well that the crew has a 3 hours flight ahead of them? why dont they just have the arrival airport tell the crew call the number? i guess what i am trying to say is why have a crew worry about what the call is over the whole flight rather then just tell them when they are finishing their flight?

i love reading that controllers have backbones. i kid i kid. seriously though it is good to see that if you can educate rather than violate then it is all good!

i know i am hijacking here a little bit but why do controllers feel it necessary to give a number knowing all good and well that the crew has a 3 hours flight ahead of them? why dont they just have the arrival airport tell the crew call the number? i guess what i am trying to say is why have a crew worry about what the call is over the whole flight rather then just tell them when they are finishing their flight?

Because that take alot of coordination. I might not even have a line to the tower at your destination to let them know. It wouldnt be logical to tell ever controller along your route about it hoping they all remember to pass it along finally ending at your destination. Plus maybe your destination controllers are too busy to tell you. Maybe your VFR and ATC doesnt even know your destination. Its just much easier to tell you when it happened and then wait.

yea that is a good point. thanks for the response. i need to get my atc fix soon. i find those places absolutly fascinating!

Back