Newbie to jetcareers forum

David Sullivan

Greetings to all of my fellow pilots,

I recently just came on to this site. I am currently a licensed Commercial pilot (ASEL) with about 280 hours of flight time. I am currently working on not only my single-engine add-on for Commercial, but also my CFI Initial as well. I am currently studying out of Dunkirk Aviation in Dunkirk, New York (KDKK). My ultimate goal is to become a professional pilot, whether it be with an airline, a cargo carrier, or whatever. My thing is that I'm flying something big and (preferably) built by Boeing. Although I am receptive to Airbus as well. On the side, I am a ramp agent for Southwest Airlines out of Buffalo International Airport (KBUF). I am open to any and all discussions related to aviation (whenever I'm not working or studying of course). Please feel free to drop me a line if desired! Take care, and Happy Flying!

First off, welcome to jetcareers! I believe that you will come to realize just how great of a community that we have here. These guys and gals have been awesome to get to know over the past few years. Congratulations on all of the aviation achievements that you have already accomplished, and good luck with your future training.

Just remember, don't get all caught up in wanting to fly a shiny 747 and let that be your main career goal. Remember... MORE MONEY, MORE TIME OFF!

Welcome to Jetcareers!

First off, welcome to jetcareers! I believe that you will come to realize just how great of a community that we have here. These guys and gals have been awesome to get to know over the past few years. Congratulations on all of the aviation achievements that you have already accomplished, and good luck with your future training.

Just remember, don't get all caught up in wanting to fly a shiny 747 and let that be your main career goal. Remember... MORE MONEY, MORE TIME OFF!

Welcome to Jetcareers!
First of all thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to expanding my aviation knowledge in any way that I can. Most importantly, I'm looking forward to getting to meet all of the wonderful people that are out there in the aviation community in addition to the wonderful folks that I've already met up with in my time during my training and during the time that I have spent working for both AirTran Airways and now Southwest Airlines as a ground agent. That said, I do try to be as realistic as possible in relation to my aspirations. If that shiney B747 is in my future - great. If not, and I have to "settle" for a B737 or a B717, I will still be extremely happy as long as I do get to make good money along the way like you said! On that note, time for me to get this ball rollin'! :)

Welcome to JC! I'm out in Delaware but head out to New York a lot. If you ever want to grab a beer and chat, let me know. I did about 2 years at Southwest as a ramp sup and loved it. Oh the stories Derg could tell....

Welcome to JC! I'm out in Delaware but head out to New York a lot. If you ever want to grab a beer and chat, let me know. I did about 2 years at Southwest as a ramp sup and loved it. Oh the stories Derg could tell....
Thank you for the intro! If/when I'm able to get down Delaware-way, I'd probably have to fly into BWI and rent a car for now as I'm working on getting my instructor certificate (ahhhh yes, those fun times). That said, when/if you decide to come up to Western New York (can you say Niagara Falls?), feel free to send a shout my way! That would be cool to discuss aviation over a brew or two! Good luck with all of your endeavors and take care!

Welcome to JC. People with a passion are always very welcome here from what I've seen. :)

MORE MONEY, MORE TIME OFF!

First you have to find the money. Also, don't forget to have fun and enjoy the adventure along the way!! You don't want to wake up one day and find yourself flying a Wumbo Jumbo Jet 5000 and feel bored, and wishing you had more fun along the way.

Welcome mate! Im working for WN ground on the other side in LAX.
Good to hear from a fellow SWA ramper! Hope all is well out there! I know it's been getting busy here now that the schools up here have let out. Of course, what with Canada right at our doorstep, we get a lot of our neighbors to the north coming down to fly out of KBUF as well. Cheers!

Good to hear from a fellow SWA ramper! Hope all is well out there! I know it's been getting busy here now that the schools up here have let out. Of course, what with Canada right at our doorstep, we get a lot of our neighbors to the north coming down to fly out of KBUF as well. Cheers!

The loads are starting to get a little heavier! What's BUF like? I've never ventured out that far East and I really need to abuse the travel perks!

The loads are starting to get a little heavier! What's BUF like? I've never ventured out that far East and I really need to abuse the travel perks!
This time of year, we get heavy ourselves. In particular the flights that go to MCO, TPA, FLL get filled because of all the kids going on them. Add all of the folks that we get from Southern Ontario (Toronto, Hamilton, and surrounding areas) and there you have it. It's not to say that we are full with no chance of getting in or getting out, but this is our busy time of year outside of the Holiday season (Xmas, Thanksgiving etc). That said, ways that you can connect to BUF from LAX would possibly be through PHX, LAS, MDW, and BWI. So you do have plenty of options to play with. And if you do venture yourself this way, Niagara Falls is only about a 20-minute car ride from the airport. Bring your passport and have fun if you do come this way! Hope this helps!

Back