New to real world aviation, and boy do I have questions! Plus my introduction.

What next gen planes are you looking forward to hopefully getting to fly?

• Total voters
Would you say that I should try to get as many hours without one of the Pilot Mills?

Thanks!

A Pilot Mill or any school is just going to get you your ratings, The FAA sets the hours required for each rating. So no matter where you go (for the most part) you are going to end up with the same ratings and around the same number of hours. I would look at Part 141 schools, they follow an FAA approved syllabus, that requires a certain number of hours of BOTH Ground and Flight training. Schools like ATP are part 61 where its self study, its up to you to learn all the ground stuff, and if you're not understanding something, there may or may not be help available.

Going thru school with the least amount of debt should be a huge goal. Especially with the low starting pay as a pilot.

A Pilot Mill or any school is just going to get you your ratings, The FAA sets the hours required for each rating. So no matter where you go (for the most part) you are going to end up with the same ratings and around the same number of hours. I would look at Part 141 schools, they follow an FAA approved syllabus, that requires a certain number of hours of BOTH Ground and Flight training. Schools like ATP are part 61 where its self study, its up to you to learn all the ground stuff, and if you're not understanding something, there may or may not be help available.

Going thru school with the least amount of debt should be a huge goal. Especially with the low starting pay as a pilot.

Going through school without debt is my priority. I will be keeping everyone updated.

Thanks!

Yeah and while I am sure you are up to it and wish you luck, if nothing else at least get you Private and of course it is always good to get the Instrument rating. It's all I can hope for now that I have seizures. But if I end up being seizure free for ten years I can at least do that. Yeah, I looked into the big flight schools before I graduated high school though. Almost went down to Florida and got into debt, but I am glad I got the sixty hours I did the cheaper way--local but with good instructors and at my own pace without getting into debt. Having some stock left to me form my grandmother helped but my dad helped me, to. And if I had to work, then I still could have done it at my own pace, though I understand, especially if you are older, the desire to get it done fast as you can.

At least get the private done as fast as you can. If you have the money to get that, just do it. Longer time between lessons does make it more expensive upon the whole, though sometimes you have to pay as you go and money ain't always there. But having lessons often helps. At least get the private done quickly in other words. Then you can do the rest. Private is the first step and at least you can get in the air for fun.

Yeah and while I am sure you are up to it and wish you luck, if nothing else at least get you Private and of course it is always good to get the Instrument rating. It's all I can hope for now that I have seizures. But if I end up being seizure free for ten years I can at least do that. Yeah, I looked into the big flight schools before I graduated high school though. Almost went down to Florida and got into debt, but I am glad I got the sixty hours I did the cheaper way--local but with good instructors and at my own pace without getting into debt. Having some stock left to me form my grandmother helped but my dad helped me, to. And if I had to work, then I still could have done it at my own pace, though I understand, especially if you are older, the desire to get it done fast as you can.

I am sorry to hear that you can't fly due to that reason. I wish you the best of luck in staying free for ten years! I am looking to get my Flight Instructor and with Instrument so I can get a job teaching others. What do you think?

Back