New to real world aviation, and boy do I have questions! Plus my introduction.

What next gen planes are you looking forward to hopefully getting to fly?

• Total voters

GameSyns

Known for that one post.
Hello All!

I am currently just starting on my future path of hopefully flying for a living! I already have arranged ground school that won't hurt my pocket and is near by, but that is it, just ground school. I am looking for a school that I can plan to going to once I finish my current educational plans. Anyone have any sort of recommendations for me? Any words of advice? Any sort of anything I should know?

Homer-Simpson-work-taking-notes-resized-600.jpg

I am aware that chances of being hired out the door without any prior jobs is next to none and understand that more than likely I am going to be a flight instructor before any kind of pilot for an airline. I was looking at American Flyers and maybe moving close to one of their campuses, but I am not to sure that is a good idea. I looked at ATP and already saw that that was not the school for me, being that a 150 day course was going to hit my wallet for 65 grand. Just let me know of schools that are preferably in California.

4a7163fa04fe309d166ee9a25f9f9e28.png

A little about myself:

Why did I decide I want to start flying?

I decided the first time I went through a security checkpoint. I knew this was a safe job. *Just Kidding*
I really fell in a deep love of flying probably when I rode on my first Southwest flight and just got to on a trip, I think the flight was more fun than the trip combined, and I believe we all had our special moment that had us hooked. I think it was a little over 12 years ago I became fascinated with flying and lets just say, every time as a kid I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I said I wanted to be a pilot. Of course parents being parents they would just say, "You want to be a pirate?" It is now the joke of the family when ever I talk about with them when we are all together for the holidays. :bang:

What do I want to fly when I get my MEC (I think that is what the multi-engine thing is)?

I believe once I get enough hours the new fleets will be coming in and that is what I want to fly. Personally, I would not mind flying an A350 XWB or a Boeing 787, or even a 777 X. But the most realistic next gen plane I may fly is the 737 MAX.

P1-AE996B_AIRBU_20060614213202.gif

What airline?

Easy question, ANY! Well as long as the benefits are nice and the pay is somewhat decent. Also, if you have nice looking Flight-Attendants, that is a plus. :cool:

84692421.IFbx3qNn.HamburgAug07067.jpg

What do you do to ease the need for flying?

I help run a Virtual Airline and stream my flights to a platform called Twitch.tv. I get to talk to others with the same enjoyment of flying and it is great to meet other people.

FSX_Logo.png

Well ladies and gents, I think that is my introduction and I am happy to have gotten to meet you guys!

Sincerely,
GameSyns

Last edited:
Also,

Big thanks to Bumblebee! He is a acquaintance of my father who contacted me and told me to go on here it is great place for knowledge and to meet wonderful people! Thanks!

I would recommend that you be sure the flight attendants are proficient, rather than nice looking…plus you may be working for a captain who prefers her fight attendants be men.
This is true! I never know what I may encounter! I am think proficient and good looking flight attendants are the best!

Great introduction and Welcome to JC. I think I share the same opinion as many here when I say, train at a place within your financial means. Dont go into debt. Although ATP is a respectable school, its expensive and the debt will take years of regional FO pay to pay off. Find a good school with healthy affordable airplanes. Perhaps join a flying club. Dont rush it, take your time, get a degree and fly on your own dime.

Last edited:
Welcome! I think it will be interesting for you to come back to this thread in 3-5 years and see if where you are then is different from where you want to go now. What I have found looking into aviation jobs is that the industry has so many possibilities, it's hard to know exactly where you'll end up! I think participating in this community will help you make better decisions, but remember the final decisions you make will be for you to make and you only.

And have fun!

Great introduction and Welcome to JC. I think I share the same opinion as many here when I say, train at a place within your financial means. Dont go into debt. Although ATP is a respectable school, its expensive and the debt will take years of regional FO pay to pay off. Find a good school with healthy affordable airplanes. Perhaps join a flying club. Dont rush it, take your time, get a degree and fly on your own dime.
As someone that is in close to the same boat as you, I agree with everything said above. Just go out and fly. Don't worry about what airframe you want to fly later, or what airline, that stuff is all very very far away. Go down to your local airport, do an intro flight and start knocking out hours. Also, find a flight instructor that you mesh well with and cares about your progression. A good instructor is worth far more than most students think. Its often these guys that can walk you in the door to your first aviation job. Good luck and most of all, have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also it will take about 10 years to go from I want to be a pilot to landing that job with a Major Airline. Yes it can happen quicker but I'll bet 10 years is a pretty good average.

Also it will take about 10 years to go from I want to be a pilot to landing that job with a Major Airline. Yes it can happen quicker but I'll bet 10 years is a pretty good average.
Heh I've been flying since 2005 and I still haven't broke 200 hours. No debt tho, YMMV.

It might be 20+ years before you see those airframes, it might not, you might have the airlines in sight but end up in a charter gig. Aviation changes by the SECOND! And I really mean that. and your goals will most likely change as well once you get a good taste for the industry as well.

You are very enthusiastic! That is great, do your research, and pick out what's best for you, and do it with the smallest amount of debt possible. I went to ATP and opted out of CFI school and did my CFI at American Flyers SMO. If I had to do it all over again, between the 2 I would pick American Flyers.

As long as my pay check goes up every year, my debt gets smaller, my kids stay healthy, my wife still loves me, and my current job lasts for 30.6 more years. It does not matter what I fly.

I like Flight Sim, too. I just played last night. Decided to take a fly around Chicago in a Cessna. I will say real flying, in a way, is much easier. Well, at least in the small aircraft. Never actually flown a jet in real life. I find the controls for the jets on Flight Sim easy enough, but the joystick is so lose on Flight Sim that it's way harder to control a Cessna in real life than on the game. Finally shut down the engines with full flaps for fun after I got board and ended up killing myself. The mistake the instructor would say: "When your engine failed you had not picked a clear place to land but kept changing it without good reason." Well it's my opinion real flying is more fun and easier. Having the feeling helps you keep better control and the controls of the plane are not as all over the place.

I see where someone can go wrong, I would just be happy to fly an airplane for a job. That is what I would be happy to just do.

It might be 20+ years before you see those airframes, it might not, you might have the airlines in sight but end up in a charter gig. Aviation changes by the SECOND! And I really mean that. and your goals will most likely change as well once you get a good taste for the industry as well.

You are very enthusiastic! That is great, do your research, and pick out what's best for you, and do it with the smallest amount of debt possible. I went to ATP and opted out of CFI school and did my CFI at American Flyers SMO. If I had to do it all over again, between the 2 I would pick American Flyers.

Would you say that I should try to get as many hours without one of the Pilot Mills?

Thanks!

Back