New Search for MH370

RDoug

Another Search Begins for Long-Missing Malaysian Airliner

• Ocean Infinity, a Houston-based company, could receive as much as $70 million if it finds the plane’s debris field or two data recorders within 90 days . . .
  • But under the agreement, the company will receive nothing if it does not find the missing Boeing 777, which disappeared over the Indian Ocean on March 8, 2014, with 239 people aboard.
  • Ocean Infinity describes itself as a technology company specializing in collecting high-resolution geophysical seabed data. The Seabed Constructor can use up to eight unmanned submarines, known as autonomous underwater vehicles, which can operate independently and at depths of nearly 20,000 feet.
  • But aviation experts say that finding the wreckage is not likely to answer the question of what went wrong. In particular, it is unlikely that any information could be retrieved from the plane’s cockpit voice recorder. Even if it functioned after years deep under water, the recorder operates on a loop, and the crucial early part of the flight when the aircraft altered course would have been erased.

But aviation experts say that finding the wreckage is not likely to answer the question of what went wrong. In particular, it is unlikely that any information could be retrieved from the plane’s cockpit voice recorder. Even if it functioned after years deep under water, the recorder operates on a loop, and the crucial early part of the flight when the aircraft altered course would have been erased.

Yeah but it should give the last two hours, assuming the data can be cleaned and read. My gut feeling is it's either going to be 2 hrs of absolute silence until the first engine fails from fuel starvation or 2 hrs of banging on the cockpit door by the FO to be let in.

What's on your CVR?

Audio.

What's on my Dashcam?

Audio and video. HD video. Hours of it. ;)

Cockpit Voice Recorders to become Cockpit Video Recorders.

Heard it here first. :)

FedEx Feeder Caravan guys like myself are getting boned with these things. Apparently it is only supposed to record engine data, but I call BS. It's a camera. In the cockpit. I don't believe anything management says about it.

https://www.appareo.com/aviation/flight-data-monitoring/vision-1000/
Why are these a problem if you're not doing something you're not supposed to be doing? If management is using it to make life miserable, then the problem is with them, not the recorder.

Why are these a problem if you're not doing something you're not supposed to be doing? If management is using it to make life miserable, then the problem is with them, not the recorder.

Sorry. It opens up a huge can of worms.

That's like saying it's no problem for the cops to search my car, because I have nothing to hide. Maybe not, but if you only refuse a search when you have something to hide, it becomes a de facto refusal equals guilt.

Back