new record? 10:03 flight JFK-DTW

dakovich

left at 8:10pm arrived at 6:13am. 8+ hours of taxi, one lady freaked out, let her and ten others off, then back in line. it was a mess. learned a lot that flight. also learned a lot the trip before this. past year and a half have been trouble free for the most part, but lately i've been feeling like i'm secretly being tested for Capt. upgrade. of course i've left out many of the details of both this flight and last trip, but i'll just say these last two trips have taught me more about the responsibilities of the left seat than any thing in the past 1 1/2 years here. i'm still shaking my head.

8 hr. taxi? Holy ####! Most I've heard of was 5 hrs. And people wonder why I hate JFK and you couldn't pay me enough to be based up there. Why was JFK so messed up?

weather. ramp closed-opened-closed about 4 times. departures did the same thing. it was crazy, should've just canceled the flight looooong before, but the pax who stuck it out were really nice and appreciative that we didn't cancel the flight. i was expecting mutiny at many points, but they were very happy to get home.

If I were a passenger on that plane, I would have been out the emergency exit before I sat on the taxiway for over 8 hours..... There is NO WAY I would do that.

Unless the ramp was closed the entire time and all the rampers were gone (which I doubt at JFK), I'd have pulled the plug on this one a lot sooner. 8 hours in an RJ??? Come on...

ohhhhhh, trust me, another crew member and i were ready to cancel WELL before it got out of hand. WELL before. i told you i learned many lessons on that one leg.

Yeah, seriously the weather the last few weeks has been especially challenging. EWR has been affected similarly and I've been making it home past 2:30am on multiple occasions now.

These situations in my opinion are unique challenges...Planning when to board, leave the gate, how much fuel you'll need, try to get some rest, all while trying to keep the passengers "in the loop" and not feed them too much bs. It's unbelievably stressful.

On the positive side as a fairly new captain, (1+yr) it's good to be exposed to as much crap as you can, and when you get through it, it just makes you stronger.

:yup: Duh!!
weather. ramp closed-opened-closed about 4 times. departures did the same thing. it was crazy, should've just canceled the flight looooong before, but the pax who stuck it out were really nice and appreciative that we didn't cancel the flight. i was expecting mutiny at many points, but they were very happy to get home.
I think after the B6 issue (and there were others in the same situation that day too) and others that took place subsequently (like the AA SFO-DFW incident) people have started becoming a bit more understanding. Either that or they were all New Yorkers who know how things roll over in this neck of the woods. ;)

oh boy, now the company has magically knocked off 2.5 hours from that flight and our pay. guess they didnt realize i check my times, and check them often. the company has implemented a new sceduling software that has been proven to be jacked up and the union be non to happy so icheck and double check times/pay now. punks

8 hours is ridiclous. Another reason I love corporate.

Bizjet: "Teterboro ground how long of a delay southbound?"
Ground: "It's gonna be awhile, probably 1-2 hours."
Bizjet: "We'll call you back later, our pax are going to go get dinner."
Ground: "Roger."

Back