New Jersey FBO help!

jspeed87

I know this belongs in the FBO section, but I need any info on Solberg Aviation Flight Training. I'm narrowing my choices down to Lincoln Park or Solberg for PPL.

Caldwell does get busy at times, but it's a good experience for you! I took a few lessons at Century Air before moving to Florida for a year. I never really had any delays due to busy traffic. I earned my private in Florida along with my multi add on. I am now back living in NJ and was looking to finish my instrument rating somewhere here too. I am thinking Century Air, again but not sure. I will be looking at Lincoln Park too. Do some research on Century Air and maybe schedule a visit. They have a really nice facility there along with a great staff. As for Solberg, I am getting checked out on one of their aircraft tomorrow. If you learn in Solberg you wont really have to worry about traffic. It is usually very slow out there. They have a very nice staff there. THey also have alot of older aircraft that are cheaper to rent making your training cheaper. They also have a very nice 172SP that you could choose to learn in.

Caldwell does get busy at times, but it's a good experience for you! I took a few lessons at Century Air before moving to Florida for a year. I never really had any delays due to busy traffic. I earned my private in Florida along with my multi add on. I am now back living in NJ and was looking to finish my instrument rating somewhere here too. I am thinking Century Air, again but not sure. I will be looking at Lincoln Park too. Do some research on Century Air and maybe schedule a visit. They have a really nice facility there along with a great staff. As for Solberg, I am getting checked out on one of their aircraft tomorrow. If you learn in Solberg you wont really have to worry about traffic. It is usually very slow out there. They have a very nice staff there. THey also have alot of older aircraft that are cheaper to rent making your training cheaper. They also have a very nice 172SP that you could choose to learn in.

sweet, keep me posted! Let me know how the instructors are. I also heard they are closing is this true?

I don't know if Solberg is closing. I know they are having multiple problems with their land trying to be taken, due to laws with eminent domain. I hope it doesn't get shut down, they are all a nice bunch of folks up there who really care about aviation.

Yea Caldwell can get a little busy but I see it as a great place to learn. I actually instruct at Century...

I think I am going to get my Instrument done there! I just got the info today. Not positive yet though. How long have you instructed there? I took a couple lessons there before I moved to Florida.

I would go with CDW, a towered, busier airport and get the experience. It may cost more but it will be worth it in the long run.

I learned to fly at TEB, when such was practical during the 70s (it was still quite busy back then), and have no regrets. On my first solo I took off behind a Lear!

Try either Century or Air Fleet at CDW.

I would go with CDW, a towered, busier airport and get the experience. It may cost more but it will be worth it in the long run.

I learned to fly at TEB, when such was practical during the 70s (it was still quite busy back then), and have no regrets. On my first solo I took off behind a Lear!

FWIW, I second learning at a towered field. Not that learning communication is that hard, but I find it makes me more comfortable in busier situations as I progress. When flying down through Philly and Atlantic City airspace or up through NY I think it is a good idea to get flight following. The frequencies can get pretty busy and it is beneficial to be comfortable on the radio so you can focus on other aspects of flying and not be worried about that one thing.

Also, as you move on to your instrument training and communication becomes mandatory you will have the basics down. It makes learning how to copy clearances and talking to multiple controllers in the space of a few minutes much easier to deal with.

Good luck and have fun! Learning to fly is a great time! :rawk::rawk:

I'm still going get training in Towered airports anyway. I'm just trying to save a few bucks lol. Edit: Any info on Air Fleet?

I got my ppl from airfleet out of caldwell. I know they used to have a school in linden, did they do away with that location? Airfleet was ok for a school. CDW was difficult to see coming in which was annoying. Flying under class B was also kind of annoying. TEB has a DME approach that goes right through that area and morristown has an approach that goes through CDW's class D.

That said, I did get some good work with scanning and communication skills.

I'm still going get training in Towered airports anyway. I'm just trying to save a few bucks lol. Edit: Any info on Air Fleet?

Solberg will be quite a bit cheaper than any school in CDW for your Private. They have a bunch of 152s which are cheaper per hour than 172s. None of the 3 schools at CDW have 152s. Also, Solberg is part 61 so the instructor rate is lower than the 2 141 schools at CDW (Airfleet and Century). MacDan is 61 but only has newer 172s (135/hr). Solberg is pretty unstable in the instructor department, though, so you may end up having to go through a few instructors by the time you get your license. Century has better maintenace and better aircraft than Airfleet, but costs will reflect that.

PM me if you have any questions, I'll be glad to give you an unbiased student's point of view.

Solberg will be quite a bit cheaper than any school in CDW for your Private. They have a bunch of 152s which are cheaper per hour than 172s. None of the 3 schools at CDW have 152s. Also, Solberg is part 61 so the instructor rate is lower than the 2 141 schools at CDW (Airfleet and Century). MacDan is 61 but only has newer 172s (135/hr). Solberg is pretty unstable in the instructor department, though, so you may end up having to go through a few instructors by the time you get your license. Century has better maintenace and better aircraft than Airfleet, but costs will reflect that.

PM me if you have any questions, I'll be glad to give you an unbiased student's point of view.

All good points. As of 2 weeks ago Airfleet now 205/hr for 172 p. And Century about 165/hr 172 p... My good friend at Airfleet is really taking a beating with the new rental prices....

All good points. As of 2 weeks ago Airfleet now 205/hr for 172 p. And Century about 165/hr 172 p... My good friend at Airfleet is really taking a beating with the new rental prices....

Do you know what the rate at Century is for the G-1000 Cessna with a CFII?

Depends on what your goals are? My first 500 hours were spent at an uncontrolled 1200 foot grass strip in nothing but cubs, citabrias and stearmens. I wouldnt trade that experience for anything, and now I laugh when people complain about dash 8's being hard to land. If you want to be a proffesional pilot, you can pick up all your radio skills while doing your instrument.

Back