New-hire "pool" at the airlines?

F16Flyer

New-hire \"pool\" at the airlines?

Dumb question but what exactly is the new-hire "pool" at the airlines? A group of people that have been hired, but are awaiting a training class date? Or a group of people that have interviewed and are awaiting a call in which they've been hired by that company?

Thanks for any feedback.
grin.gif

Re: New-hire \"pool\" at the airlines?

First answer.

Basically you've gone through the process, been hired and are awaiting the telephone call to say "Get your butt to training."

The training department (pilot makers), marketing (pilot uses), and the human resource department (pilot getters) are usually out of sync so therefore a pool forms.

Says it all in the name - A group of people that have been HIRED and are waiting for a class date.

When I first of hired at Delta, there wasn't a pool, but about six months later, lots of guys were waiting up to 3 months to get called for a ground school date.

wink.gif

Aint no thang but a chicken wing!

If there isn't a pool, would that mean Delta hired you on the spot, or right after the interview?

Well, it was a three part process back in the day.

The first day I showed up for computerized skills testing, and then a gentleman went over my scores and offered me an interview.

When I came back for the interview, I was offered a conditional offer of employment (which more or less means you're hired with a billion different caveats).

When I came back for the flight physical, MMPI (Minneosta Multi-phase personality inventory) and an afternoon visit with a psychologist, they told me to expect a letter in the mail in the next week after they've recieved my FAA-required training records (Pilot Record Improvement Act junk).

Three weeks later (my own airline delayed processing their request to the legal limit), the letter came and congratulated me on a position in a new hire class at my earliest availabily and to call a number to arrange a start date.

Needless to say I called immediately, got into a class starting in two weeks and scribbled a quick "two weeks notice" letter to my chief pilot.

Yep, my husband spent a year swimming in Delta's pool before he got a class date. Compare that to when he was hired at Eagle and he was in class within 6 weeks of submitting his application!

I keep waiting for him to walk into the pilot lounge, but I'm about to takeoff for PHX!

It's "Steve", right?

[ QUOTE ]
I keep waiting for him to walk into the pilot lounge, but I'm about to takeoff for PHX!

It's "Steve", right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, Bill.

He's back on RSV Tuesday, maybe you two will cross paths sometime!

Back