New Guy

av8Banner

Hi my name is Jack Banner! I will be going to high school this year and I am currently thinking about taking private pilot lessons from my local FBO.

I am now currently interested in going to ERAU. Which by the way, will be 4 years down the road. Is it tough trying to get into this school? As it stands now, my calculated GPA is a 4.00. I got this figure from adding my grades from 5th to 8th grade. I have read tons about ERAU and I do agree that by going here really is not the only route in becoming an airline pilot. I think that by paying $150,000, I receive the same hours as going to a community college and flying at FBO's. Anyhow, I am so glad I found this site! I hope to gain a lot of information ( and I know I will ), and hopefully be able to be an actual airline pilot when I grow up!!

My first question right off the bat is, from your perspectives, how long is the airline industry going to be down like this?

If I knew how long the airline industry is going to be down I would be a financial adviser and not a pilot! Don't let anyone rain on your parade and have you considered majoring in something besides aviation so when it slumps again you have back up?

In four more years, Riddle's tuition will be out of sight rediculous (not that it isn't already). I second considering getting a degree in something cheap and easy as a backup.

[ QUOTE ]

Hi my name is Jack Banner! I will be going to high school this year and I am currently thinking about taking private pilot lessons from my local FBO.

I am now currently interested in going to ERAU. Which by the way, will be 4 years down the road. Is it tough trying to get into this school? As it stands now, my calculated GPA is a 4.00. I got this figure from adding my grades from 5th to 8th grade. I have read tons about ERAU and I do agree that by going here really is not the only route in becoming an airline pilot. I think that by paying $150,000, I receive the same hours as going to a community college and flying at FBO's. Anyhow, I am so glad I found this site! I hope to gain a lot of information ( and I know I will ), and hopefully be able to be an actual airline pilot when I grow up!!

My first question right off the bat is, from your perspectives, how long is the airline industry going to be down like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got into ERAU with a 2.3 GPA, so you shouldn't have any problems there.

Currently, the industry is in flux as you say. For how long things might be a little slow depends on who you talk too. I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure. Could be a few years, could be sooner or later.

Lucky for you, time may very well be on your side.

HiJack...

...I mean...what's up Jack...

ERAU will take you if you have the money and they have room for you. I had a 3.0 GPA through HS. You sound just like me at your age. Riddle has the best brochures and website, so you get a hard-on to go there (can I say "hard-on"). I graduated in 1983 from ERAU with a degree in aviation. Riddle is good at what they do but it's not really necessary to go there. If you have other interests outside of aviation, I'd recommend a non-aviation degree and training at your local flight school...just my opinion based on having gone to ERAU and being in the business for many years. Where do you live?

Getting your Private license is a great idea. I'm working with a 17 year old this summer who wants to fly professionally someday.

I've seen downturns in aviation before...this one is bad but things always turn around. Airline managements have been able to get unprecidented concessions from pilot groups during this downturn...I'm afraid this will have a lasting effect on the profession. At the same time, it's still a great job if you love flying and I can't see myself doing anything else. How long will it last? Who knows, but as young as you are I'd say you will see an upturn and another downturn before you are ready for the big time...whatever that ends up being...

Re: HiJack...

I've seen it time and time again (just being the wife in "the know")... that more and more airline pilots are taken on by the major's without having gone to an expensive aviation school...

in my perspective, ERAU didn't really help doug get into delta - what helped him was that he had the hours required (TT, Multi, single etc) to make the grade. all we ever hear from ERAU now a days is "help your alumni.." blah blah blah every other day in the mail. you'd think with the $$ they're making from just the student population, that they wouldn't need alumni help! haha

not that i'm a pilot (i've just watched doug from beginning to now), but i am pretty fiscal with my $$, my ideas and my time.... so my suggestion (if i can suggest anything) is get a degree in a possible 2nd career (something to fall back on when times get tough like this) and start earning your flight mileage... the quicker your mileage builds up, the quicker you make contacts and start moving up through planes and companies!

Re: HiJack...

[ QUOTE ]
Riddle has the best brochures and website, so you get a hard-on to go there (can I say "hard-on").

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you just did..... twice.
grin.gif

Back