New GI Bill..anyone have the scoop?

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
As normal the VA website is useless. Just wondering if anyone has read anything, or more interestingly, know for a fact if this new GI Bill will help with up front costs when it comes to the current way of doing flight training and being reimbursed 60%?

As normal the VA website is useless. Just wondering if anyone has read anything, or more interestingly, know for a fact if this new GI Bill will help with up front costs when it comes to the current way of doing flight training and being reimbursed 60%?

The "ways" of the program are still being figured out. The VA has a projected date of May for releasing further information. I don't think they will ever pay "up front"...that was not part of the revamped program. The only real advantage will be that it will potentially pay more...up to the maximum in-state tuition rate for a state school. If I remember, that could be about 22K a year, but I can't remember what state that was.

I have read a lot on the new GI bill and here is how I understand it.

The New GI BIll will not pay for traditional flight school (or any vocational school). The old GI Bill option will still be available if you paid into it.

The only way to have the new GI Bill pay for flight training is to attend an accredited college or university.

Please correct me if I am wrong. This is how I interpreted it.

I have read a lot on the new GI bill and here is how I understand it.

The New GI BIll will not pay for traditional flight school (or any vocational school). The old GI Bill option will still be available if you paid into it.

The only way to have the new GI Bill pay for flight training is to attend an accredited college or university.

Please correct me if I am wrong. This is how I interpreted it.

Accredited college with a flight program?

I don't really expect any changes in the rate of reimbursement for flight training under the GI Bill anyhow. Here's why:

First, people used to get gouged with the GI Bill back in the day. Some flight school owner would say, "just sign the whole thing over to me, I'll get your ratings." Often as not some poor GI went over budget, or woefully under budget, and was out a big lump of cash either way.

Enter the "Sixty Percent Rule".

To prevent that from happening the VA only pays 60% reimburseable costs. The problem with this? As schools are required to put you through a 141 program so you can get those funds, you're likely hosed. Many 141 programs are billed at the same rate as part 61 programs. The additional hours required run the bill up fast. Net result? The 40% you pay out of pocket for a 141/VA program can be MORE than *100%* of a part 61 program you pay for entirely yourself.

Second, it would require actual progress on the part of the VA. It's a government institution, and change there moves at a glacial pace.

In other words, do the math, and choose wisely.

Not going to bother geting into the new GI Bill issues. . .because, if you want to use your veteran benefits for flight training, you'll be using the old system.

Essentially, you can not use the "New" GI Bill for Flight Training.

Some schools that offer VA services will nickle and dime you. The establishment I went to did not.

In the end, I got more money back from the 60% that allowed me to complete my CFI.MEI.CFII using the additional funds from the IA, CMEL, CSEL disbursements that I could do my instructor certificates Part 61.

End result? I made money.

Not sure about the "New GI Bill" system but the old GI Bill worked great for me. I attended FlightSafety Academy and they have a dedicated VA rep that takes care of you.....(i.e., VA forms, calls, etc.). This rep was a pleasure to work with and I got every penny from the 60% offered in a timely manner (1 month reimbursements). No complaints.

So I gather from previous messages that the "New GI Bill" is taking away this "60%" of approved charges from a 141 flight school?

Back