New Employer Background Checks

tj102692

I have a friend who has gone to rehab for alcohol in the past and has been sober since. There were no legal issues like a DUI involved, he went on his own accord. He is about to leave for training for a part 91 charter company. He has to sign an agreement to release all medical records IF NEED BE which includes treatment facilities. He needs help with figuring out if they are going to look into the past or if this agreement is only put in place for possible future occurrences.

Does anyone have experience with an employer specifically asking you to sign for disclosure of information SPECIFICALLY for past substance abuse treatment?

Thank you in advance.

Is it normal for p91 companies to want medical records? I don't think I've ever signed anything like that for a job. Unless I did without realizing it. :ooh:

I have a friend who has gone to rehab for alcohol in the past and has been sober since. There were no legal issues like a DUI involved, he went on his own accord. He is about to leave for training for a part 91 charter company. He has to sign an agreement to release all medical records IF NEED BE which includes treatment facilities. He needs help with figuring out if they are going to look into the past or if this agreement is only put in place for possible future occurrences.

Does anyone have experience with an employer specifically asking you to sign for disclosure of information SPECIFICALLY for past substance abuse treatment?

Thank you in advance.
I would never give up my medical records to an employer. F that.

This industry wants enough out of you already, I'll be damned if I'll let the industry have access to my body too. It's not any of their god dammned business.

Your medical records are private and that is protected by law (HIPPA).

A law which has provisions allowing for the sharing of health information with the person's consent.

Why anyone would consent to sharing their information with an employer though is beyond me.

Part 91 Charter Company? That should be your first clue, second a public company would never ask for this. However if it is private they might be able. Heck, if a person asks me for time off, I can't even ask why any more. Like it matters, but as long as you show up and do your job.

Disclose all legal issues, as requested. Disclose no medical records unless needed to show fitness to fly based on issues you disclosed or related to disclosed legal issue or FAA issue.

Thanks for the info. After looking over the small print in the contract about 10 times, it became clear that this information would only come from the federal aviation records. Because there was no conviction or legal issue involved, there is no record of the occurrence held by the FAA so it wouldn't be an issue. The wording just makes it a little open to interpretation at first glance. I'm pretty sure what they are looking for (if they even ask) would be DUI's that are on file with the FAA.

Back