New dispatcher looking for some advice

nWestfall13

Hello everyone,

I recently completed my dispatcher course and received my license and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to proceed. I know that I'm asking a very vague question but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently seeing what jobs are open while I update (totally redo if I'm being honest) my resume. Any advice or suggestions either about where/how to job hunt or resume help would be amazing.

Start by reading the stickied “New Disptcher FAQ” thread. It will answer a lot of questions you didn’t even know you had, and be able to generate questions that are a bit more precise. Not trying to sound rude, but there’s some good info in there that would benefit you.

Don't trust a puddle pirate...lol j/k

Good advice, don't sell yourself short - apply anywhere you can! But most importantly, sell yourself in the interview!

Got my license, and the next day I pulled up a wikipedia list of every airline in the United States. Just went through every Airlines Careers page and threw my name in the hat with literally anybody that was hiring (including 135s, and yes, even Trans States and No Go Jet hahaha)

Got called for three interviews, and I was offered a job at Republic as I was walking out of the interview. Didn't even show up to my SkyWest interview or whoever the third one was.

As was said, you can get into a regional quite easily. You just have to have your bags packed and be willing to live in less than ideal places like Dayton OH, backwater Missourah, etc. while you put in your dues.

Well I hope you took the decency to call SkyWest and the other and tell them you would like to cancel the interview.
This is a small career field and I can pretty much guarantee if you just didn't show up for your interview, they made a note in your file for both the company HR and Dispatch Manager.

Well I hope you took the decency to call SkyWest and the other and tell them you would like to cancel the interview.
This is a small career field and I can pretty much guarantee if you just didn't show up for your interview, they made a note in your file for both the company HR and Dispatch Manager.

Of course I did. I was 23 so I wasn't as ignorant as I was in my younger years haha.

Also turned down an offer from Spirit when I got the job at Allegiant. Kicking myself for that one...you want to offer significantly more money and I work significantly less hours?!?! Bleh....

Back