New Dispatcher FAQ

You dispatch off of vis and in very rare cases ceiling as well (think ETAR) however the crew cannot start their approach if they do not have sufficent vis and ceiling. It's a good idea to always keep the ceiling in the back of your mind.

You dispatch off of vis and in very rare cases ceiling as well (think ETAR) however the crew cannot start their approach if they do not have sufficent vis and ceiling. It's a good idea to always keep the ceiling in the back of your mind.
Plus for a circling approach you would always require ceiling to dispatch. As well as if the chart requires it. I think there are a few airports in central and South America that say “CEILING REQ”

How soon after hiring at a regional (and/or major) did you guys start class? Trying sort out the logistics of a career jump and with the Air Force moving to an “indefinite enlistment” after 12 years, it might prove to be a challenge.

From what I gather I can apply for separation NLT 6 months prior, which I don’t think would mix well with hiring on somewhere. I figure I’ll have to supplement with the Reserves and hope for the best but I was curious about your guys’ experiences.

If we sat around playing with theories or “what ifs” then flights would never take off. Vis is what you need to dispatch and if it’s down to a go/no-go decision like that, you are going to have AT LEAST 1 if not 2 alternates so what’s the anxiety for? If you have the vis, launch the flight and keep an eye on em. Let them at least give it a poke and if they can’t do it divert.
The way I was looking at it was if its gonna divert anyway due to the cigs being below mins while VIS is still legal then why not just delay the flight until the weather improves.

The way I was looking at it was if its gonna divert anyway due to the cigs being below mins while VIS is still legal then why not just delay the flight until the weather improves.
Cuz ceiling forecasts are seldomly that accurate. Not launching when you have excellent vis and a ceiling that is illegal by 100ft would feel pretty silly. Especially on a long haul flight. I've seen dispatchers be concerned about BKN 010. Next time you see a low ceiling in a metar at a nearby airport with great vis look outside and you'll realize vis is much more important than ceiling.

Had a flight today that was forecast to be OVC002 with a ~400’ DH. We talked and decided to go check it out, made it in no problem and said they made it out before mins. Solid alt and ct fuel, might as well go take a look if the vis is good

Don't think of the ceiling on the plate as relating to cloud cover when it comes to the destination. Think of it more as a continue/go around point. If you get down to that point and can see the runway environment (lights/runway/whatever) you continue your approach, if you can't you go around. In this way, you could theoretically have a 0 ceiling but the pilots can continue the approach if they see the runway at that height.

How soon after hiring at a regional (and/or major) did you guys start class?

At all the regionals I was at, it was in the month range. I would be offered the position then take a drug test and submit my background check within a few days. The official offer would be extended right before the 2 week mark.

About what I expected. Do you think a hiring manager would be willing to answer questions from prospective applicants? I figure getting first hand info from the people making the decisions would help, but didn’t want to overstep my boundaries. That and I think the whole military thing complicates it a little since it’s not as easy as putting in my 2 weeks notice.

There aren’t too many times you’re going to have a ceiling below 200 ft when the vis is spectacular. Most of the time it’ll be ovc001 fractions for vis and FG.. not usually ovc001 P6sm.

I’m really struggling with the details of the 1 nav 2 nav rule, I’m hoping someone can clear it up for me.

We had a specific example in class. Same piece of pavement, two different runways and approaches. Runway 14R and Runway 32L.

ILS Runway 14R navaid frequency is 110.9 and its identifier is IBEJ
ILS Runway 32L navaid's frequency is 110.9 and its identifier is ICHJ

Since its the same frequency but different identifying codes is this considered one nav or two nav?????? Our teacher told us it's two and that we could add 200 and 1/2 but I feel like it might be just one?

Also I’m happy to see this thread being used for such good legality questions. When I was a newbie dispatcher I struggled with a lot of the more complex dispatch rules and it was through private messages with a few people on here that I learned this stuff. I’m thrilled this is being put in the open so other people have a chance to look at it all.

As long as there are 2 different identifiers it is two separate approaches. Because there are 2 identifiers, it means that there is equipment at either end of the runway to do an approach. If they had the same identifier, one would be a back course meaning it uses the same equipment.

My understanding is if codes are different then 2 NAV applies
As long as there are 2 different identifiers it is two separate approaches. Because there are 2 identifiers, it means that there is equipment at either end of the runway to do an approach. If they had the same identifier, one would be a back course meaning it uses the same equipment.

Thanks for the quick responses, that helps a lot. Now I'm flipping through a bunch of different approach plates and it seems like every single one has two different identifiers where the 2 navaid rule would apply. But GPS and RNP are one navaid only

Thanks for the quick responses, that helps a lot. Now I'm flipping through a bunch of different approach plates and it seems like every single one has two different identifiers where the 2 navaid rule would apply. But GPS and RNP are one navaid only
Correct, because they both use the same equipment for the approach: the satellites. The assumption is that the external equipment could fail. If 1 side of an ILS fails, it wouldn't take out the other if it was a different identifier, however if the satellites go down it will take out both GPS and RNP.

In order to be able to calculate using both approaches though, you need to be within wind limits. Alternate approach(es) always need to be within wind limits. Destination does not.

Hello. I’m new to the forum and have a couple of questions for the group as I’ve been slowly preparing myself to start studying for the dispatcher certificate.

So my understanding is I can study for the ADX written on my own but must attend a “school” or approved “academy” in order to be signed off for the practical? Is this true?

I also work for a major airline (iam 141) and have a solid understanding of weather, metars, and tafs.. besides studying weather theory, the ADX test prep, and the part 121 section is there anything else y’all would recommend?

Also, how difficult is to to get hired on to any airline large or small without experience? And has anyone used their certificate to work abroad? My long term goal would be to take my early retirement from my currently company and try to get on with a Cathay pacific, Singapore, Thai company.

thanks in advance.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and looking for some information. Previously I worked in public safety as a first responder. Unfortunately the body has started to give up on me a little and I have decided to find another gig. Was looking into dispatching and have started looking at schools. I love in Florida a d Sheffield would be then most convenient for me. My problem is unfortunately there financing. I have recently completed my FAFSA and have been approved for financial aid, but I have not been able to locate a school that will accept it. Does anyone have any insight on a school or program that I could make work? Thanks for your time.

Back