New Dispatcher FAQ

I'm sad to report that I got bounced from my position. It wasn't for an inability to learn the new trade - I got really high scores in the classroom portion of the training tests & assignments. I was on the floor in the OJT portion and I needed a little more time before the comp check but they would not give me. Getting used to the 1:30am start was rough, but also we had a LOT of flights to release. On a Friday after my shift they gave me a list of things to improve by Monday "or else". And on that Sunday we had a couple sick calls so I had I think 50 flights on my desk, that certainly didn't help! I had some bright moments like PICs thanking me for giving them more gas before they could ask for it and giving them the heads up for storms. I got on really well with all the people in my class. Yes, the pay was a bit of a concern but I thought it could work out with a few extra shifts here and there which apparently are easy to pick up. No problems with the way people talked or treated each other. My bosses were also really nice about cutting me loose. They said (its in writing) that I'm eligible for re-hire and if I dispatch somewhere else they would consider taking me back, and also said they would be references. They knew how well I did in the class and interacted with the others...I have the aptitude for it but I think it was just this system plus my own focus. Now, I see that the market has completely fallen apart from last fall when there were new job postings almost every day so I don't know what the future holds. I'm in a strange town now all alone. I did apply for their System Control job so maybe I'll end up right across the room from dispatch....or across the country as I've got several apps out there. I really want to give this another shot, as now coming into it I already know where my weakness is.

If your bosses were really nice, they would have let you resign instead of get fired. A termination will follow you to almost every place you apply. Regionals and even majors get desperate at times for warm bodies in chairs but its much easier to explain on future interviews why you quit. Those interviewing you will likely be able to relate with leaving a job voluntarily. A termination will make them think you are really bad at dispatching or have a personality problem.

I'm sad to report that I got bounced from my position. It wasn't for an inability to learn the new trade - I got really high scores in the classroom portion of the training tests & assignments. I was on the floor in the OJT portion and I needed a little more time before the comp check but they would not give me. Getting used to the 1:30am start was rough, but also we had a LOT of flights to release. On a Friday after my shift they gave me a list of things to improve by Monday "or else". And on that Sunday we had a couple sick calls so I had I think 50 flights on my desk, that certainly didn't help! I had some bright moments like PICs thanking me for giving them more gas before they could ask for it and giving them the heads up for storms. I got on really well with all the people in my class. Yes, the pay was a bit of a concern but I thought it could work out with a few extra shifts here and there which apparently are easy to pick up. No problems with the way people talked or treated each other. My bosses were also really nice about cutting me loose. They said (its in writing) that I'm eligible for re-hire and if I dispatch somewhere else they would consider taking me back, and also said they would be references. They knew how well I did in the class and interacted with the others...I have the aptitude for it but I think it was just this system plus my own focus. Now, I see that the market has completely fallen apart from last fall when there were new job postings almost every day so I don't know what the future holds. I'm in a strange town now all alone. I did apply for their System Control job so maybe I'll end up right across the room from dispatch....or across the country as I've got several apps out there. I really want to give this another shot, as now coming into it I already know where my weakness is.
If they know you did well in the class and only gave you two days to correct what they told you to correct, then they are bad bosses. Either they're ignorant that they are costing the company more money by letting you go rather than give youmire time, or the reason they gave you for letting you go wasn't the real reason.

If they know you did well in the class and only gave you two days to correct what they told you to correct, then they are bad bosses. Either they're ignorant that they are costing the company more money by letting you go rather than give youmire time, or the reason they gave you for letting you go wasn't the real reason.

Yeah something is not making sense. Ive never seen a guy not get an extra week or two if requested. Especially if classroom had been good.

I have worked with several older dispatchers who are new to this industry. For some it was their first position as a dispatcher, and for others whom had left only to come back after several years away from the job. I have seen several older new hires struggle and drop out of dispatch shool, and others fail to latch on with their new company for the long term. Most of those I'm referring to are aged in their late 50's and some in their 60's. Sadly I've noticed a similar pattern with most is simply their speed and ability to process information and keep up with the demands of the desk can ultimately be considered unsafe and a liability from the company's perspective. Im not saying this is what happened here, but age can definetly work against you as you get older.

If your bosses were really nice, they would have let you resign instead of get fired. A termination will follow you to almost every place you apply. Regionals and even majors get desperate at times for warm bodies in chairs but its much easier to explain on future interviews why you quit. Those interviewing you will likely be able to relate with leaving a job voluntarily. A termination will make them think you are really bad at dispatching or have a personality problem.

Random question but can a company lie and say they fired you when you actually resigned?

Random question but can a company lie and say they fired you when you actually resigned?
I don't think so. If you can prove that it keeps you from getting hired, I think that would be Libel.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice

Even if you are fired, a company would be stupid to do anything but simply verify your dates of employment. Most companies understand that they open themselves up to legal liability by saying anything negative about a former employee.

Even if you are fired, a company would be stupid to do anything but simply verify your dates of employment. Most companies understand that they open themselves up to legal liability by saying anything negative about a former employee.

At most airlines, theres at least someone who at worked or has well known connections to almost every other airline. How it usually works are casual conversations about the person they are considering for hire.

Dispatch is a small world. In a good number of cases, reputation is known good and bad before you interview.

At most airlines, theres at least someone who at worked or has well known connections to almost every other airline. How it usually works are casual conversations about the person they are considering for hire.

Dispatch is a small world. In a good number of cases, reputation is known good and bad before you interview.
Agreed. I was only responding to the question about whether an airline can lie and say you were fired when you resigned. Most companies know better than to do anything but verify employment.
In the case of casual conversations with others who know the candidate, it wouldn't really matter whether they were fired or resigned in lieu of being fired.

A personality problem I would think would make them give me a "not eligible for rehire" because you can't change personality. Putting me in a different role, or letting me catch on somewhere else and then come back, can solve the problem they say they terminated me for, so they'd be ok with "eligible". So termination doesn't always mean a person is not a good fit for the company or even the job. I think.

yes, but a yes or no answer to the simple question "Is he eligible for rehire" can tell you a lot even if they can't get into specifics for legal reasons.

Sorry to hear about being let go.

We had a new hire that was given the chance to take their comp check three times and failed again on their third one, ultimately being let go. We also had another that passed on the third one but had to take recurrent later on and failed the recurrent comp check. For them they just couldn't get it and it was too overwhelming for them. It is good that management gave them the chance to take that many comp checks but personally I think if you don't pass the second it should be over. In regards to your situation, there were given extra training days before their checks which is something you weren't given the opportunity which sucks.

Sorry to hear about being let go.

We had a new hire that was given the chance to take their comp check three times and failed again on their third one, ultimately being let go. We also had another that passed on the third one but had to take recurrent later on and failed the recurrent comp check. For them they just couldn't get it and it was too overwhelming for them. It is good that management gave them the chance to take that many comp checks but personally I think if you don't pass the second it should be over. In regards to your situation, there were given extra training days before their checks which is something you weren't given the opportunity which sucks.
What does a comp check typically look like where you dispatch?

1000005779.jpg

Numerous section with various topics graded 1-4

Manual, regs, weather, communications, NOTAMs, navigation, airports, ATC, flight planning (software, weights, exemptions, routes, altitudes, fuel, alternates, aerodata, ETOPS if qualified), flight monitors, MEL/CDL, RAIM, dispatch release, emergency procedures

Back