New Cirruses are Cheaper then Skyhawks!

CK

I was just reading the new AOPA and I noticed that Cirrus are cheaper then 172's new. The new SRV-20 (VFR only) is only 189,000 with a PFD and a MFD and two 430's. So is the Cirrus cheap or is the Skyhawk too expensive. I've always thought that the Skyhawk is too much. What do you think.

for that price, the 172 would be IFR ready. it depends on what you want. you start to see some of the new cirrus' in the training fleet's around the country,,,,,

I think UND has got some Ciri...... I don't think they were made for training...I can't count the amount of times I slammed a 172 onto the runway. Ciri don't look like they can take that kind of punishment. Could you imagine doing your first solo in one of those bastards. If I owned flight school I don't think I would let low and no time pilots use that kind of plane to train in, however they are some sweet ass planes!
smokey......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

We are thinking of putting one on in our flight school but the insurance will be $15,000/year. At that price, I don't think any school will put one on.

UND has one SR20 and students can take a familiarization flight in the Cirrus but can't do training in it. None of the courses here at UND involve that aircraft.

I have about 15 hours in an SR20. I don't think it would be impossible for a person to get their PVT in one. They are easy to fly and the avionics are wonderful. You flare flatter and should fly it by the numbers, whereas in a 172 you can be a little more sloppy. Overall a 172 is a better plane to let students beat into the ground, and it is more forgiving. Time will tell how durable (or not) the Cirrus is.

Skyhawks are overpriced... but they are great planes.

I'd much rather have an IFR equipped Skyhawk than a VFR only anything.

Back