New Captain and Old FO

Wow, that is a huge list! I'm not 121 so I really have no idea where to begin on a lot of those. Is there specialized training you get when you upgrade on handling this kind of stuff, or are you kind of let loose to figure it out?

You've got your entire tenure in the right seat to pay attention and learn from the good captains.

So, yesterday I flew with a pilot who has been in aviation since he started as a FA back in the 80's... he then became a pilot and has flown for 20+ years at various airlines, including about 10 yrs as PIC, and then landed as a FO at our company a couple years ago. I have only been a captain for 3 months now.

During our time in between flights I asked him to prepare the cockpit and coordinate the boarding while I ran to the terminal to get some food for both of us.

I came back with plenty of time to spare and everything was ready to go, but he was rushing everyone (including myself) to push back because we were close to our departure time. I know he was just trying to get us all off on-time, but that is not really how I like to do things.

Any pointers?

Just go at your own pace. The Captain calls for the checklist. Don't call for it until you're ready. Whats he going to do? Force you to run it? You could say a simple let's slow down a little. Just communicate with him respectfully and it will be cool. Don't let it fester cuz it will get worse.

Just go at your own pace. The Captain calls for the checklist. Don't call for it until you're ready. Whats he going to do? Force you to run it? You could say a simple let's slow down a little. Just communicate with him respectfully and it will be cool. Don't let it fester cuz it will get worse.
Where I've worked it was the PF that called for the checklist. Is this different other places?

oh. I see. At SkyWest during boarding the PIC calls for checklist. Well then just speak your mind brotha. Don't let it fester. He's a big boy and I'm sure he can handle it. Also realize that since you're a new PIC you have a lot of experience to gain. This is just another experience under your belt. I upgraded 8 years ago and had similar issues and as time went by you saw the same things come up. After you've been threw them a few times you learn good ways to mitigate the problem. In other words, as time goes on, you'll learn how to control things the way you want to be done without seeming like too much of a jerk.

Where I've worked it was the PF that called for the checklist. Is this different other places?
Depends on phase of flight. Anytime in the air, PF calls for checklists. On the ground, CA calls for them. This has been true for each of the three 121 companies I've worked for.

Ineffective and douchey. :)

The captain sets the pace, unless it's rushed to the point of being unsafe. If the FO is rushing, just sit back and maintain your own steady pace until you're satisfied that things are done right. You're like the drummer in a band; control your band's tempo. :)
Works both ways btw. I've learned how to slow down if the CA is rushing too much.

I had a captain pace me during a trip and I asked him about it later...he explained the concept...funnily enough, a couple of days later with the same captain, after a delay, he was going fast and I paced him. He brought it up during cruise and actually thanked me for it...

Back