Never Worked at a FBO Need some Tips.

jspeed87

Well their is a job here at my local airport in Linden NJ. Airport Linemen in Linden New Jersey. Duties include ground handling, fueling, and counter work. The pay is good at 12.50. per hour. They do say you need to have customer service skills. I really hope I get thisjob, They do have 2 cessna 172's and a Cirrus Sr20 for flight training. This could lead to a lot of free rides and cheap flight training !:nana2: Any tips for working as a linesman? Like how to tie-down and fueling ect?

You'll be trained on the job for Fueling and how to do tie downs, so don't worry about that.

Not really a whole lot to it, just show your willingness to work and get things done. Be proactive and take the initiative to do things without people asking you to do them. That's how it works here, and I'm sure it isn't much different.

You gotta have a good attitude about the job and have good SA while you're working (such as noticing trash by aircraft doors, helping with luggage, etc.)

Hey I live about 3 miles south of you! Are there alot of openings? I think you should go to the career specific section, and look for line jobs to get a good idea of what you are going to do. Man if you get the job please pm me and let me know if there are any more openings!

Hey I live about 3 miles south of you! Are there alot of openings? I think you should go to the career specific section, and look for line jobs to get a good idea of what you are going to do. Man if you get the job please pm me and let me know if there are any more openings!

yea they need more people for various shifts. Just go to the airport and apply the first hanger right next to the parking. Where are you getting your flight training done?

I worked at an FBO as a lineman/customer service type in high school for $5.50 / hr with no discounts on flight training. However, my dad was nice enough to match what I earned, so effectively I was getting paid $11.00 / hr. :D

Have a good attitude and be nice to all of the customers that you come in contact with. Even a smile when you first approach a customer goes a long way.

If the back of the engine has a great big black hole, it doesn't matter whether there's a prop on the front of it or not, it takes jet a.

I don't have any line service experience but I have extensive customer service. Best method is a smile and friendly attitude regardless of the other persons. If a person has a problem and you can tell they are upset as they walk towards you a "Hello" with a smile and a hand shake will help calm them down and keep the situation from escalating. Also, eye contact is huge. I can not tell you how annoying it is talking to somebody and having them looking down or looking around, some people take it as you are not listening and do not care.

Good luck and have fun! Take pictures of cool planes and post them up.

3 things you should always have on you just in case: something to write on, something to write with, and a flashlight. Fueling is easy, you will learn how to do it. Towing is probably the only difficult thing you'll need to learn. And just remember, if they say there's an MU-2 coming in, always volunteer to be the one to service it.

n57flyguy said:
....and don't forget hearing protection ;)

We're not really that loud. And filling our outers 20 gallons at a time really isn't that much of a chore. You know, back in my day, kids walked uphill both ways in the snow to have the opportunity to service an MU-2.

yea they need more people for various shifts. Just go to the airport and apply the first hanger right next to the parking. Where are you getting your flight training done?

I plan on getting it done at Century Air whenever I come up with the money...

3 things you should always have on you just in case: something to write on, something to write with, and a flashlight. Fueling is easy, you will learn how to do it. Towing is probably the only difficult thing you'll need to learn. And just remember, if they say there's an MU-2 coming in, always volunteer to be the one to service it.

The top part of that post is right on! The bottom part is garbage, if you hear anything about a MU-2 (actually you will hear it coming for miles) that is the best time to go on break or make yourself very scarce! Especially if they say "top all 6" in the middle of a snowstorm.... bad memories! :banghead:

Back