Networking & Large Corporate Flight Departments

VUOFlyer

So I was reading an online Professional Pilot mag article about the SAT based Valero Flight Department a few days ago while killing some time. In it, there was mention about one of their first officers being hired on into their fleet of G450's and G550's with around 1000TT and 100ME. I was thinking he must of had quite the inside connection or really networked, networked, networked. So I was curious, how often does it happen where one can get hired on with a department operating such nice equipment as the G450 and G550 with a low amount of time?:drool:

I was thinking he must of had quite the inside connection
That is effectively the ONLY way into fortune 500 flight deptartments.

They might post a job ad, but it's just for show and/or HR policy. They've already got someone they want to hire, and he flew freight with one of their pilots a few years back.

Friend of mine got his first "big gig" when he was 20 with 800TT flying a CE500 for a politican. He is 21 now with a little over 1000TT and flies a Lear 60 for a company. PIC type rated in both planes and not even old enough to get his ATP. How did he get these jobs? He knew people!

One thing that helped him was he flight instructed at a very busy airport with lots of corporate and private traffic.

So I was reading an online Professional Pilot mag article about the SAT based Valero Flight Department a few days ago while killing some time. In it, there was mention about one of their first officers being hired on into their fleet of G450's and G550's with around 1000TT and 100ME. I was thinking he must of had quite the inside connection or really networked, networked, networked. So I was curious, how often does it happen where one can get hired on with a department operating such nice equipment as the G450 and G550 with a low amount of time?:drool:
Network Network Network!
I was promised a job today by a friend i made who works at a large corporate company on field. Do as much as you can, go out there and talk to people out there. I had recently picked up a DA40 from this place after some maintenance was done, and i made some small talk with one of the guys, had a few laughs and all. Little did i know, this was the guy who is in charge of hiring.
Back to today. After messing around in a Hawker, Falcon, and Galaxy, my friend took me to thank the guy in charge of hiring, and he remembered me and we started to talk again.

So, just get out there, you never know who you'll meet!

Honestly, some get a lucky break, others go their entire career with no such thing. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

I got mine by simply sitting at the front desk of a mom & pops FBO and directing a corporate pilot, which I didn't know at the time, up to the boss' office. It was 30 seconds of interaction that led me to where I am today. I did a few things on my own along the way to pad my resume, but I still consider myself one lucky bastard to be sitting in the left seat of a brand spanking new corporate jet.

I know for a fact that my next job will be through someone that I met and networked with at this job. I know it is very optimistic to say that my next job will hopefully be one from which I retire, but even so, I will continue to network in case things slip through the cracks.

It IS networking. If you get the 4000 TT, 2500 PIC jet story, they don't know you well enough.

Absolutely it happens and more often than you think. For instance when I hire I first call my friends. Even if they may have less time I still know them and would rather fly with someone that I know will get the job done properly. Keep at it! Take care.

Network Network Network!
I was promised a job today by a friend i made who works at a large corporate company on field. Do as much as you can, go out there and talk to people out there. I had recently picked up a DA40 from this place after some maintenance was done, and i made some small talk with one of the guys, had a few laughs and all. Little did i know, this was the guy who is in charge of hiring.
Back to today. After messing around in a Hawker, Falcon, and Galaxy, my friend took me to thank the guy in charge of hiring, and he remembered me and we started to talk again.

So, just get out there, you never know who you'll meet!

:rawk:

telal was right, i should spend more time around you haha:D

:rawk:

telal was right, i should spend more time around you haha:D
Haha, talk to Talal, He and John helped broker the Global.
I guess the guys looking into a Citation or King Air for clients, and he'd throw my name in for that.
You never know who you'll meet.

Ill be at the Taj Mahol this weekend for the community days thing, gotta bring 37TH there and back, im gonna try to network.

Back