Needles found in Delta business class meals

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
All out of AMS.... ironic

What appeared to be sewing needles were found in sandwiches served in business-class cabins on four Delta Air Lines Inc. flights to the U.S. from Amsterdam on Sunday, the airline confirmed. A passenger on one of the flights was injured but declined medical treatment from paramedics after the plane landed in Minneapolis, Delta said.

"Delta is taking this matter extremely seriously and is cooperating with local and federal authorities who are investigating," the Atlanta-based airline said in a statement on Monday. "Delta has taken immediate action with our in-flight caterer at Amsterdam to ensure the safety and quality of the food we provide onboard our aircraft." The airline said it requires all of its caterers "to adhere to strict criteria in order to offer our customers the very best onboard meals. The safety and security of our passengers and crew is Delta's No. 1 priority."

A Delta spokeswoman said the affected flights were met by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, local law enforcement authorities, paramedics and Delta staffers. The Federal Bureau of Investigation was in telephonic contact with Delta headquarters, she said.

In a statement Monday, the federal Transportation Security Administration said when it learned of reports of possible foreign objects being discovered in meals on several flights to the U.S. from Amsterdam, it immediately notified all U.S. air carriers with flights from that airport to ensure awareness. "TSA continues to closely monitor the review of the incidents as well as the security protocols being conducted by the air carriers and the airport authority," the statement said.

The Delta spokesman said the needles were discovered in sandwiches on two flights to Atlanta, one to Minneapolis and one to Seattle on Sunday. In all, Delta operated 17 flights to the U.S. from Amsterdam that day. In some cases, flight attendants or federal air marshals discovered the objects. In another case, a post-flight search of the aircraft led to the discovery of a needle in a sandwich that was not served to a passenger. But at least one passenger on the Minneapolis flight bit into the sandwich and found the foreign object, the spokeswoman said.

After Delta learned of the incidents, it stopped loading sandwiches into its business-class sections and substituted pre-packaged pizza slices. The sandwiches were the second, smaller meal served in business class on the transatlantic flights. The spokeswoman said no problems were discovered in the coach-cabin catering on Sunday and no problems have been reported Monday, during which another 17 Delta flights are scheduled to leave from Amsterdam.

Gate Gourmet, which supplies Delta's catering in Amsterdam, is providing its "complete support" to Delta and law enforcement investigators, a spokeswoman said Monday. "We take this matter very seriously and have launched our own full-scale investigation. We've increased inspections and security" in light of what she called "a highly unusual incident." Gate Gourmet is a unit of gategroup Holdings AG of Zurich.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303754904577531151835767684.html

So now the food will have to go through TSA metal detectors and pat downs along with the passengers. I feel another TSA budget increase coming.

This sounds real, but I'm kind of skeptical because of the "Pepsi" and "Wendy's" frauds.

I'm skeptical too, but for a different reason. The last time there was a commercial aviation related (terrorism) scare out of Amsterdam was Christmas 2009. Also a Delta/NW Flight. As a result, TSA received more scanning equipment, money, and authority. Although a perpetrator went to jail for it, later in Congressional hearings never aired by the US TV networks, State Department Official Patrick Kennedy ended up admitting that the US Gov't helped orchestrate it.

The complete story is still Classified.

I'm skeptical too, but for a different reason. The last time there was a commercial aviation related (terrorism) scare out of Amsterdam was Christmas 2009. As a result, TSA received more scanning equipment, money, and authority. Although a perpetrator went to jail for it, later in Congressional hearings never aired by the US TV networks, State Department Official Patrick Kennedy ended up admitting that the US Gov't helped orchestrate it. The complete story is still Classified.

Dont worry, behind closed doors your "elected" officials are making sure that you're safe. Just dont ask any questions and do what you're told.

I know you know better than that, but this whole terrorism thing has seem to unfolded a lot like the sinking of the lusitania, or to some extent pearl harbor.

For a government to sit there and say that no one ever saw this coming or didnt have anything to do with it is absolutely absurd. Another example of a manufactured story to justify funding for a useless agency.

Thanks!

And Arizona. Where were you? :)

Demonstrating side slips in a glider to prove that it's safe.

glider.jpg

I was sitting on the crew bus going to get my car, NEXT to the FA who had just come off of the flight where a couple of these needles were found. She was talking about the report and how one person had gotten poked. They had to take take everyones meals away from them. Scary.

I was sitting on the crew bus going to get my car, NEXT to the FA who had just come off of the flight where a couple of these needles were found. She was talking about the report and how one person had gotten poked. They had to take take everyones meals away from them. Scary.

Yes. It is scary. Where was the TSA? I want to feel safe. I demand a larger Gov't bureaucracy to protect me. I want my neighbors' homes searched. I want everyone's email traffic monitored. I want the Constitution suspended until this threat is over. This sandwich crisis is Obama's fault !

Scary indeed. I can't imagine trying to take meals away from people. That would cause quite a scene, and possibly some violence.

Or maybe just a whole lot of....

crying_baby.jpg

Yes. It is scary. Where was the TSA? I want to feel safe. I demand a larger Gov't bureaucracy to protect me. I want my neighbors' homes searched. I want everyone's email traffic monitored. I want the Constitution suspended until this threat is over. This sandwich crisis is Obama's fault !
I know this is blasphemy, but i blame it all on reagan.

Back