Need to buy headset

Solo10

I didn't notice a buy/sell forum on the list so please don't pull out the napalm if I shouldn't post this.

I'm looking to buy a headset and the instructor recommends the David Clark H10 13.4. Every website I've been to has them for the same price, $292.95. The used ones on ebay aren't selling for much cheaper (MAYBE $200 if I'm lucky and I wait a while).

Any suggestions for a cheap source? Plus I haven't done any research on this but what the heck is worth a difference between $100 new and $1000 new. Opinions from fellow cheapskates please.
tongue.gif

I recommed Lightspeeds. I think DCs are overpriced, but that's just my opinion. I'm not trying to start a flame war.

No that's exactly what I'm looking for, is advice. What model do you think is a good value with the Lightspeeds? I obviously don't want something that gets irritating on a long flight, comfort wise, but I don't want to pay a lot for extras that I don't need such as sound cancelling.

[ QUOTE ]
No that's exactly what I'm looking for, is advice. What model do you think is a good value with the Lightspeeds? I obviously don't want something that gets irritating on a long flight, comfort wise, but I don't want to pay a lot for extras that I don't need such as sound cancelling.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I ask why you don't want the ANR? I was skeptical at first when getting them, but by spending $100 more is a small price to pay for hearing. I love my 20XL's, they are comfortable and they sound much better than any DC without ANR, ENC, etc.

Those abbreviations are...electronic noise control and active noise reduction? So far I've just been using a cheap set supplied by my instructor and they seem fine. Who knows, maybe if I tried a nice set one time I would change my mind. So far I'm skeptical though. Three bucks is tough to swallow when I can only afford to fly once a week.

the cheapest ANR would probably be the lightspeed solo series. They are pretty comfortalbe however i would recommend going with the XL models and above.

I have a David Clark 10-40 and a Peltor Pro GT anr. and i would definatly recommend getting ANR if you want to hear as an old man.

Marv golden has good prices on headsets and of course there are great deals to be had on EBAY.

As far as finding the lowest price...

Many of the headset manufacturers have a minimum advertised price. The dealers cannot advertise the headsets for less than that price, for the DC H10 13.4 that price is $292.50. But, if you put it into your shopping cart, you will see the actual price that you'll pay.

For example, ipilot.com (which I have found to have the best prices) advertises for $292.50, but when I put it in my shopping cart, it came up as $269.00.

I've always gotten great prices and service from ipilot, I've also heard good things about Marv Golden.

And, go for the ANR's, you'll be glad you did when you can still hear in 20 years.

I've been using my David Clark H10-13.4 for eight years now ... the headset works as well today as it did the day I took it out of the box in 1996. I've found it to be comfortable on flights as long as five hours non-stop. Our King Air has Bose X headsets in it ... honestly, my DCs are more comfortable, but the noise canceling is nice. I wouldn't use the Bose if the company didn't pay for it, though ... I wouldn't spend $1000 on a headset if I had Bill Gates' bank account.

FL270

DC 13.4's are awesome. Best headset I've ever owned. But I haven't used the electronic noise cancelling headsets in a GA aircraft as of yet.

Or any aircraft because the MD-88 is whisper quiet in the cockpit. Almost as quiet as a cheap laser printer.

I third the vote for DC 13.4's. I've had mine for five years now, and even after a full day of CFI'ing or a long trip in the Bonanza, my head is fine.

Do a search on ANR headsets, it's a recurring question here. Those who use them swear by them, me included. I've got mild mid-range hearing loss from too many years with my walkman cranked to 11 during my youth, which manifests itself as being able to hear everybody but the person standing next to you in a crowded bar, for example. Very annoying.

The long-term verdict on ANR is still out, they haven't been around long enough to know whether a pilot who uses them from early on will have better hearing when he/she/it is 60 than someone who only had a passive headset. I will say that long cross-country flights are much less fatiguing with ANR than without.

If you can't afford to drop the coin on an ANR headset now and don't have a credit card or some other way to spread out the payments, I know Bose has a 12 months, no interest payment plan that makes it pretty doable.

If you're pretty sure you're in this aviation thing for the long haul, getting a good ANR set is a wise investment. I have the DC H10-13XLs, and spinnerspilotshop.com had the best price outside of California, which was important to me to avoid sales tax. MarvGolden.com is a great source as well--I can vouch for those guys personally as they're located at my home field and I've done a goodly amount of business with them. They've got great service and aren't a fly-by-night outfit by anymeans; they've been around forever.

[ QUOTE ]
Or any aircraft because the MD-88 is whisper quiet in the cockpit. Almost as quiet as a cheap laser printer.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly does a cheap laser printer sound like? "erurerur"?
grin.gif

I guess I have a sensitive melon, cuz I get headaches very easily if a headset is too heavy or doesn't fit well.

At my present job, we all get issued Bose X's. They are incredible: ANR is awesome, they are super light and they fit great...BUT I don't think I would pay $1000 out of my own pocket for my own set. Plus, if your battery dies and you don't have a fresh one, you are SOL because the X's have no passive capability.

My personal headset has been a Sennheiser (passive, no ANR) HMEC 200. It's pretty good - very comfortable and light, and pretty CHEAP too. I have worn them on some long hauls in the old Convair (up to and including about 7 hours straight!) and it has performed well. I have the Oregon Aero earseals on them, and LOVE them. Someday when it is time to buy a new headset, I will get the O.A. earseals for them at the same time - Strongly recommended!

I have tried D.C.'s a couple times in the past and I can't stand them. They don't fit me well, and they give me headaches. They are bomb-proof though.

Dude, the most important thing: if you can, try and test-drive a few different types of headseats and pick the one that works best for you.

Dude, it's a personal thing, Dawg!

(yeah, I'm ashamed to admit that I'm anxiously awaiting tonight's American Idol).

Wow, everybody wants to weigh in! This is great, thanks for all the advice. I will look into the various websites and different headset models you all suggested.

Hey what's the deal with stereo headsets? Does the tower broadcast in stereo or is this just for listening to CDs?

Sportys sucks and so do stereo headsets. They only work with stereo audio panels- don't spend the extra dough. The aircraft you'll be flying probably won't have one anyways. Whether it does or not, you can still hear ATC through both ears with a "normal" headset. If you do buy stereo you'll be sorry when 8 people are trying to transmit at once on 122.8 and you hear a squeal so wicked that fingernails on a chalkboard sound like a symphony orchestra.
smirk.gif

I have, and use, both the H10-13.4 and an ANR H10-13X (not at the same time, smarty-pants). Great headsets and DC stands behind their product better than anyone.

Back