Need tips on flying the DC-3/C-47

Parkite

I have the opportunity to fly as a co-pilot on a C-47 this summer going to various airshows on the weekend. Pretty exited! The captain retired from Ozark and has over 10,000 hours on type. Just wondering if anyone has flown this historic aircraft and what was it like?

Sounds like a rare opportunity. Te captain you're going to fly with is probably the best source of info.

10K hours in type. Is the guy 104 years old ? :laff:

I have the opportunity to fly as a co-pilot on a C-47 this summer going to various airshows on the weekend. Pretty exited! The captain retired from Ozark and has over 10,000 hours on type. Just wondering if anyone has flown this historic aircraft and what was it like?

No landings in the DC-3/C-47 but a few hours in it. You will find that those pedals on the floor turn a stubborn airplane into a nice machine. Rudder rudder rudder.

A few landings in the C-46 and I own a Swift. IF you get to big kicks on the rudders, you are more than likely well behind the airplane. You will learn more about wind and crosswinds in the upcoming summer than all the years prior.

With 10,000hrs in the -3, your friend is going to be a wealth of aviation knowledge, lore and war stories. Ozark was one of those regional carriers which blossomed with the -3. Be sure to keep a diary of your flights. You have been afforded a step back in time and you won't pass that way again.

Here are the thoughts of a few...
http://www.flyingmag.com/airwork/738/airventure-adventure-in-a-dc-3.html
http://www.centercomp.com/cgi-bin/dc3/stories?1901

this one is about a -3 in Ozark colors out of Bloomington..
http://www.douglasdc3.com/dc3compare/dc3compare.htm

Finally, remember Ozark spelled backwards is KRAZO! Ask your old buddy about the Ozark years.

Good for you! You're going to love it (and you'll be the envy of all your fellow pilots). Like you, I've just started flying a DC-3 from the right seat at a small part 135 cargo op. Only have a couple of hours in her: two takeoffs, one landing. But.....what an experience! After a lifetime spent dreaming of flying such a plane, to finally have the dream come true was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

First impressions? Much more docile and cumbersome than I had imagined (very unlike the smaller twins, which feel like hot-rods by comparison), but also much more `manly', if that's the right word. It takes a lot more muscle on the yoke and pedals than a light plane. The above articles are excellent, as is the other advice above.

Watch the old guy closely and learn from the master.

Grandeur is the word that best describes the experience.

The very first take-off I did in a 3, I was sole manipulator, and the instructor told me to "Turn right to bla,bla,bla...", and I initiated rudder and aileron inputs but felt no movement. I freaked! I sincerely thought we had left the aileron and rudder clamps on those surfaces. Sweat! Then the instructor repeated the turn right command with a little body language suggesting 'use more muscle'. That was it. The dang thing took thigh muscle and forearm/bicep/shoulder muscle to crank in control input.

The first two or three flights, I was actually muscle-sore after the flight, but after a few more, I began to handle it with fingers and toes, and she became just like a big 'ol two-motor Cub. :D

The first two or three flights, I was actually muscle-sore after the flight, but after a few more, I began to handle it with fingers and toes, and she became just like a big 'ol two-motor Cub. :D

...then you were working too hard. Feed the input in slowly and you will find a nice dance partner. Muscle it around and you will be the loser (looser for the internet geeks)

dont do it. youll probably crash and die.

instead, please give them my number, i will humbly volunteer myself to fly that scary, old plane so that you may live.

:sarcasm:
*yes, im very jealous!!!*

dont do it. youll probably crash and die.

instead, please give them my number, i will humbly volunteer myself to fly that scary, old plane so that you may live.

:sarcasm:
*yes, im very jealous!!!*

:yeahthat:

and before you crash and die, be sure to give them my number for an emergency contact.

Lucky! I got one ride in a DC-3 when I was 17. Got in huge trouble from my mother for doing it, but the punishment was totally worth it! :D

Back