Need some serious career help

navyac

Alright here is the deal, i was prior Navy controller with 2 CTO's, got out with the intention of getting picked up by the FAA. Well that was in june and I am still waiting on my FOL after receiving my TOL and turning in all my paperwork around the time of the Memphis PEPC. Since it was taking so long, i received an offer to work for BNSF railways paying me $260 a day to attend school and they pay for my lodging for the entire 4 months of school. The only problem is that it is in TX and not my ideal location. I am already 3 weeks into the school and really not liking it. I wanna be a controller again but I am scared that the FAA will not be able to match my current pay. (I have child support, car payments, bills etc, so yeah it is about the pay, career is a perk) I am looking for an honest assesment from any VRA applicants that are currently in the academy or at their facility. My TOL was for ORF, Norfolk Tracon which is level 9. (I am from VA and my son lives there with his mom.) Salary was $38K and some change per annum with the $20K sign on bonus. i am eligible for the GI benefits which I have come to understand are $1321 a month. So, after this long winded thread, what is a honest monthly pay you are receiving if you are receiving GI benefits or the OJTI rate? I would really appreciate any help, I need to make a decision about this soon, like in the next 2 weeks.

Alright here is the deal, i was prior Navy controller with 2 CTO's, got out with the intention of getting picked up by the FAA. Well that was in june and I am still waiting on my FOL after receiving my TOL and turning in all my paperwork around the time of the Memphis PEPC. Since it was taking so long, i received an offer to work for BNSF railways paying me $260 a day to attend school and they pay for my lodging for the entire 4 months of school. The only problem is that it is in TX and not my ideal location. I am already 3 weeks into the school and really not liking it. I wanna be a controller again but I am scared that the FAA will not be able to match my current pay. (I have child support, car payments, bills etc, so yeah it is about the pay, career is a perk) I am looking for an honest assesment from any VRA applicants that are currently in the academy or at their facility. My TOL was for ORF, Norfolk Tracon which is level 9. (I am from VA and my son lives there with his mom.) Salary was $38K and some change per annum with the $20K sign on bonus. i am eligible for the GI benefits which I have come to understand are $1321 a month. So, after this long winded thread, what is a honest monthly pay you are receiving if you are receiving GI benefits or the OJTI rate? I would really appreciate any help, I need to make a decision about this soon, like in the next 2 weeks.

Level 7 CPC take home $1400/bi-monthly.
Got the $20K ($13.5 after taxes)
Got the GI Bill, great while you're in training...For me it was $925 first 6 months, $650 second 6 months, tax free.
Don't forget you will also get night diff., Sundays and holidays so add about 10% to base pay.
Most importantly, do what you love doing. You want to enjoy going to work everyday, and if that means seeing your son everyday after work, then do it.

HD

Back