Need some info...

CJIceD

For a while now, I've been considering attending Sierra Academy. From what I read and learned from this forum and other sites is that the only really bad thing about it is the money and the facilities. I really don't mind that, its just the quality I'm really going after. Is the quality of training good? I mean, not considering how old or ancient the planes and/or facilities are compared to others like FSI, just when it comes down to the curriculum and flying is all that matters to me. I read somehwere, and please if someone could clear this up, that while attending Sierra, they guarantee (i think) at least 1500 hours of flight time. I know it seems kind of unreal but its been a thought thats been begging to be answered.

Anyway, the only other school I've looked at is Embry Riddle but the downside is the amount of classes you're bogged down with and the limited flight time you get. I'm looking for a school that can help me get my Masters, though I'm not really certain at this point that I wish to pursue that, it would just be nice to have it as an option at the school wherever I attend. I know that whichever school/academy I choose to go to will cost an arm and a leg, so it doesn't really matter. I'd really appreciate it if any current Sierra student or grad or anyone else for that matter who could tell me more about this school. Thanks.
cool.gif

Ive been to 2 other schools.. 1 a local FBO, and the other a big flight school which Ill leave unnammed, and I can tell you that the quality of instruction at Sierra Academy is very good, while its true the facilities arnt the best, and their planes arnt all new, although they have been replacing them slowly, they are a good flight school.

As for "they guarantee (i think) at least 1500 hours", I looked through their brochures and material and the only mentions I can find of 1500 hours is them saying you can get 1500 hours as a Direct Track Intern which why they dont say it in there ad, is not a guaranteed job, unless 1. you have a 90% average on all your test, and 2. there is a spot open.

While at Sierra you can take ERAU classes at one of their extension locations, which is located just down the street from Sierra.

While their are alot of other flight schools, and some cost more then others, my advice would be to check out the ones that interest you first then make a decision.

Ryan

Thanks, yes I've looked at a whole bunch of other flight schools in the past week and decided to stay on two, either Sierra, or Embry. In the beginning, my mind was set on Embry, mainly because of its national recognition as well as the reputation of a good flight school, however, once I heard of Sierra, I started to lean away. Mostly, because of the hours (assuming you land the internship) and quality. Both of these schools are relatively very close to where I live (Vegas). However, I still need help on choosing which one, I've looked at all the courses they both provide and the benefits, both seem good, both are good schools. I know you'd be biased and recommend Sierra, but all you other people (those that go to Embry or vice versa) I'd really appreciate it if you'd give me your insights on the schools. What I'm really after, as stated in my first post is the quality. Thanks ahead.

Actually CJIceD, if I had the money I would goto ERAU.. not because Sierra is bad, and I have nothing to gain by you going to Sierra, its just ERAU you get the degree quicker as your working on your flight training and your degree at the same time, then again is it worth the extra 90 grand I dont know.. only you can decide that..

I dont do plugs, I've been around the block a few times and tell it how it is.. to me quality of instruction is the most important thing, not a new plane, or million dollar simulator, or new facilities.. I've been to nice flight schools before and its the instructors, and the management of the school that counts..

I'm sure ERAU has excellent instructors as well after all they do have a excellent reputation. There alot alot of good schools and each has its pro's and con's.. I'm sure as well that Pan Am, FSI, etc.. are all excellent schools as well.. for me.. Sierra was just a finicial decision.. I happen to have a place I can stay for free, I was working out here in the IT industry after moving from florida to do so, however If I was in florida still I probably would of picked one of the other schools in florida.. but I dont regret going to Sierra.. they are definately the best school Ive been to so far..

Ryan

My son just started SIerra a couple of week ago and so far I'm very pleased with the level of instruction he's receiving. We really only looked at Sierra due to the proximity (live at home) but I talked to a variety of people I knew about the school, including the responsible person at Oakland FSDO, and the designated examiner who gives most of Sierra's checkrides. The DE said he couldn't remember the last 'bust' he had on an oral and most checkride busts were 'nerve' related. As a pilot for over 30 years, I quiz him daily about both flights and ground school. The one statement he made which stuck in my mind was the fact the he felt 'everyone was there to help you'. It certainly helps to not have a serious 'pecking order' kind of environment. I can't compare this to ERAU (and don't really see how anyone could unless they'd been to both). By the way, they're now doing all private instruction in C-172's.
Good luck to all!

Back