need some dining/hang out ideas

:yeahthat:

Have to agree with WindyCity on this one. On a nice day that is a great walk with a breeze off of the lake, very nice. Some might not believe it but the lake is very clean now and you can look into it and see all kinds of fish while you walk.

If you can't make a one or two mile walk..................how the H*&L can you pass a 1st Class Medical:sarcasm:

I think that I remember Doug talking up McCormik and Schmicks a while back. I haven't been there, but it's in the downtown/loop area... i.e. reachable from the Blue Line.

McCormick and Schmicks is not that cheap and not everyone has an airline discount.

Okay, since I'm getting in early Friday morning, I'm going to go play around the lake. I'll probably go to the Shedd, the Art Institute, etc. Hell, if there are women present, you can probably even drag me shopping up and down Michigan Avenue and I can watch how fancy stores separate women from their money. :D

Anyone gonna be around who's up for it?

Having spent a decent amount in Chicago over the years, I'd also recommend the Wrigley area, always something to do around there and a unique taste of Chicago for those that have never been.

Since I won't be there Friday, I have no input on that. I have some ideas for Saturday night though, but I'd like to know what types of places everyone is interested in. Irish pubs, martini bars, clubs (ick), "chill" joints, etc.? There are so many great places in Chicago, we need to start narrowing the list down. :D

I'd say clubs should be ruled out, simply because the loud music will keep everyone from hearing each other and mingling. That's the whole point of a networking event, no? Maybe a "chill" place and a more "club" atmosphere later? I think a venue with live music might be best... gah I dunno. Just want everyone's experience in Chicago to be top-notch!

Possibly. Is it still open? A few websites listed it as "closed." I don't know if the place is still in business.

Possibly. Is it still open? A few websites listed it as "closed." I don't know if the place is still in business.

I am not sure if it is open. I have to see. There have been a lot of famous blues restaurants and bars that are leaving for numerous reasons. I am not sure if this is one of them, but you could check some more and I may see if it is open if anyone else wants to go there.

I'd definitely say somewhere chill/lounge like where the drinks aren't over the top expensive... but where we can get a good drink, some good eye candy/people watching and still be able to hear eachother cuz remember.. the one thing we do the most all night long is TALK!

the question i have is: is everything "fun" considered dressed to impress or can we find a place where shorts are acceptable? Then again, i don't need to really worry about it cuz i've got legs that impress...but...i'm thinking we might not want to travel all the way back to the hotel to change after a day downtown since the hotel is a good 45 min train ride.

Might not be a bad idea if we can bring backpacks or something for those that "do" want to change somewhere i guess...

course we could always do the blues fest.. it is free!

You could definitely find places that would cater to the shorts/t-shirt style. Honestly though, I think you'd have the best luck dressing between the two extremes: Not dressed up, but not walking in from the beach either. I figure I'll wear a polo shirt with comfy chinos and sandals out that night (I need to pack my clothes for Sat tonight :(). Shorts would work too.

is everything "fun" considered dressed to impress or can we find a place where shorts are acceptable?

I think most places that will be fun are going to be places where shorts are not acceptable. Even in as laid back a city as San Diego, you don't do shorts when you go out. It just screams rube tourist!

During the day, shorts are fine but at night, if you want to go out, at the very minimum I'd suggest nice jeans. Something dressier works even better.

I figure if I want pretty women to look at me, I have to look good to them!

But then I may just be an elitist snob.:)

I've been doing a little searching and I think this place sounds cool!

http://www.clybar.com/index.php1

Or this one.

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/barsandclubs/mmx-7581_lgcy,0,2777764.story

Or this one.

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/barsandclubs/105625,0,1134287.venue

Back