need some dining/hang out ideas

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
Where would be a good bar and/or restaurant in chitown to hang out at or eat/drink/be merry?

Other than the event, we need some places to eat/drink/hang out etc... anyone have ideas?

of course i can search the internet, but i'm looking for people who have been there/done that and know the good places to hit.... :)

The area around Addison and Clark is good. Right by Wrigley Field, there are numerous bars there, like the Cubby Bear, John Barleycorn, Goose Island Brewing Company, and about 100 others. Go farther down Clark towards the "downtown" part of the city, and you'll find more in terms of restaurants and bars. Depends what you want... "In the loop" type bars, which are actually in "downtown," or bars that are slightly outside the downtown area but still deep in the city?

Throw some general ideas about places you'd like (pubs, clubs, Italian restaurants, Mexican restaurants, etc.) and I'll start popping out names and general locations.

By the way, places like Gino's East and Giordano's are great and all, but there are some much better joints for pizza and pasta in the city. I can think of two favorites right off the top of my head that are in the same price range... one being right downtown. It is a bit small, so we'll have to see how big our group is. When it gets closer to the event, I can call and see if we can take over the back room of the one place I'm thinking of.

Here is my favorite restaurant in all of Chicago. Corner of Ohio and Milwaukee. I hear they closed it down recently, but I don't know for sure. It would be a shame if this place closed. I guess REAL places like this can't compete with the joke chains of today. Good placed to get "Whacked" by the way. :)

1027_1.jpg

Como Inn is/was great! I haven't heard if they closed it down or not. I went there many times with my parents as a kid. Haven't been there recently, though.

Here is the place I really enjoy: http://www.pizanoschicago.com/state.html

My favorite, however, is this place: http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/dining/29711,0,1146512.venue

It is actually two blocks West of Chinatown, just South of The Loop. GREAT food, very inexpensive, great atmosphere... definitely what a Chicago restaurant should be. I'm not into the chain-type restaurants, personally... I always find the best food is at those restaurants where their reputation depends on the service and meals. Not like the big chains where losing one restaurant to closure will not really make a dent in their bottom line.

Just like Aux Deux Canards, right Tony? Chuck? :D

I remember going to Pizanos once, good place for Thin crust if I recall.

Hey Mr. Beef on Harlem is BY FAR the best beef stand anywhere. You gotta check that place out once. I wanna say its just south of Irving Park Rd and Harlem.

The area around Addison and Clark is good. Right by Wrigley Field, there are numerous bars there, like the Cubby Bear, John Barleycorn, Goose Island Brewing Company, and about 100 others. Go farther down Clark towards the "downtown" part of the city, and you'll find more in terms of restaurants and bars. Depends what you want... "In the loop" type bars, which are actually in "downtown," or bars that are slightly outside the downtown area but still deep in the city?

Throw some general ideas about places you'd like (pubs, clubs, Italian restaurants, Mexican restaurants, etc.) and I'll start popping out names and general locations.
general idea is somewhere near the EL line with good atmosphere but not sooo busy that we all wouldn't be able to get a table/sit. I don't have a clue on locations...i'd assume somewhere between ORD and downtown? I know.. that leaves a lot of areas open!

definitely no chains... real chicago food & attitude is preferred! oh and don't forget, we might have some kids along as well. :)

one being right downtown. It is a bit small, so we'll have to see how big our group is. When it gets closer to the event, I can call and see if we can take over the back room of the one place I'm thinking of.
yea.. do that, see if we can get it. :)

Chinn's is good as is Papa Deux...............a car pool would be needed however do to the drive (approx. 30min. to each.) If anyone plans on visiting Navy Pier while in town you may want to look into the Billy Goat. Good burgers and a great.......wait............GREAT atmosphere.

It is right on the pier, you can sit outside and look out over the water and at the dinner cruise boats. Very nice.

Something else to consider..................usually between Memorial Day and Labor Day...................every Wednesday and Saturday night (at 9pm. or 10pm) the city does a fireworks show right in front of Navy Pier. They do a good job! Might make for a good evening. Just a thought.

Billy Goat's - only place you can order a Bloody Goat, just don't ask for a pepsi. Billy is the reason that the Cubbies can't win a championship.

billy goats looks pretty good! and via their website, they're world renown....so, if they're down on the pier AND there's going to be fireworks going on, then that is probably a perfect spot for us on saturday night. the fireworks will work good with the kids.. the fact billy goats is a tavern will work for the adults..hmmmm...sounds all good to me!

however, Bertucci's sounds good too (and it's on a train line)... I guess it depends if people are in the mood for some italian, a hot dog or cheesburger! haha

any other thoughts? I'm trying to stay away from getting too far from the train or having to shuttle people around.

Only other thing that I might beable to add concerns Navy Pier or the Shed Aquarium. They are both with in walking distance of each other.

Best way to get there would be to take the train into union station and hop a short cab ride ( 5 to 10 min. ) to the pier. Even if people are driving in I would recommend this route. As parking at the pier is usually $25 a day, I think.

If anyone is thinking of flying in in a GA aircraft let me know. I think I will be around for the weekend (if I am) and I might have a couch or two. You could fly into Aurora and I can pick you up (I live about 15 min. from the airport). Then I can drive or we can take the train. PM if interested.

*** Warning.....it is a two bedroom apartment........not very large***

Another great place that is out near ORD and the hotel is Moretti's in Edison Park. Huge outdoor seating area...great atmosphere and great pizza. Moretti's is probably only a 10 minute drive from the Marriott everyone will be staying at. I know I'll be there and will have my truck so I can fit 3 or 4 people in with me.

Only other thing that I might beable to add concerns Navy Pier or the Shed Aquarium. They are both with in walking distance of each other.

Uhhh....those locations are more than a mile apart! And the El doesn't go to Union Station, but does get you closer to the downtown attractions than the suburban trains that do go to Union Station.

Don't be afraid to use the bus to get from place to place in Chicago. There are maps at many of the downtown stops and the routes are pretty easy to figure out. They use the same cards as the EL, and you can transfer onto a bus from the train for a quarter, I think.

Mike

Uhhh....those locations are more than a mile apart! And the El doesn't go to Union Station, but does get you closer to the downtown attractions than the suburban trains that do go to Union Station.

Don't be afraid to use the bus to get from place to place in Chicago. There are maps at many of the downtown stops and the routes are pretty easy to figure out. They use the same cards as the EL, and you can transfer onto a bus from the train for a quarter, I think.

Mike

Come on now...a 1 mile walk along the lakefront from Navy Pier to the Shedd on a nice sunny day. That's probably one of the coolest walks in the city with the views of the skyline and all the boats at the Marina to look at.

Back