Need some compensation Advice

Ccerv92199

Possible part time flying gig.
Need some advice on flying a Bonanza 2 days a week, Daily compensation?
Also flying a Baron 1 trip a month for 4 days, Daily compensation?

CFC

Possible part time flying gig.
Need some advice on flying a Bonanza 2 days a week, Daily compensation?
Also flying a Baron 1 trip a month for 4 days, Daily compensation?

CFC
Where are you located?

Are you required to have liability insurance?

Who pays your expenses on the road?

What are the training requirements? Who pays for it?

What kind of availability must you maintain?

Are you providing your own flying equipment (charts, tablet, etc.)?

Will there be ground duties (trip coordination, cleaning the planes, etc.)?

Your fee is, in part, determined by your answers to these questions.

Disclaimer: I'm not a pilot, but I have some experience in aviation contracting.

IMHO.........

YOU set the price based on market (@Nihon_Ni $450 seems fair) or what seems fair to you with consideration given to the mission (I.e. The trip is 10 days long, owner guarantees the 10 day, you can give a break and do it all for 425/day. This lets the owner know you’ll work not only for him but WITH him). Also (for me), I charge more for international operations (more headaches, more pay).

I’ve turned down numerous trips when I’m told, “Well so and so will do it for ”X” amount!”; “OK, thank you for the call and the opportunity to discuss”. More than once, people have called back and hired me at my rate.

DON’T be the Tool that tries to undercut a single day rate and the market (and your fellow pilots) by asking for much lower.

Outside of personal negligence, the insurance falls on the owner. Make that clear from the start.

All travel expenses are in addition to your contract price ($450/day in THIS example). My day rate is what it is; whether I’m on a commercial flight headed to/from the gig or flying your aircraft, the price is the same per day.

You, the pilot need to walk in the door trained and current. Pilot pays.
[SIDE NOTE: I was out of currency in a plane with a four day trip looming on the horizon. I drove the two hours to meet the plane a few days before the 4-day trip. From there, I flew an out & back trip with another pilot. They paid my travel expenses only. And although I ”flew for free” that day, I essentially paid for the plane use so I could get current. A few days later, I took the four day trip]

As a contractor, you’re not bound to keep your schedule clear “just in case” someone calls. When a gig pops up, take it if it works for you. THIS is the beauty of contract flying.

The pilot needs to have current charts/data. I carry two updated iPads if I’m flying a with avionics that doesn’t display the needed info. One iPad if it does.

There will ALWAYS be “ground duties”. Pilot should expect that they will file flight plans, coordinate with FBOs, AND clean the INSIDE of the aircraft. I’ll clean windscreen but nothing else outside of a “general” wipe down. I WILL wash the aircraft too but it will cost more. Your not going to pay my day rate and then expect me to paint your hangar (although I might actually consider that.......hmmmm.......)

My disclaimer that all of the above has and does work for me over the years, it might not work for you. Also, all of the above is for day to day contract flying only.

In the OPs question, I would negotiate a set fee per month on the scheduled in advance, 4-day trips. The owner will pay me that set amount per month whether I fly it or not; this is more or less a retainer fee that gives him a pilot guaranteed, me a schedule to plan other gigs around, and provides a somewhat steady income.

Back