Need some advice.

jon007

Hi to All.

Im from Chicago and have been reading a lot of the post's from everyone for a while now and I must say, it's great to see how people really interact, exchange information and help each other out. In this day and age, this site is a RARE find. Great job Doug and of course to all others that give volume to these forums.

I was considering going to American flyers for my flight training. Some of the reasons were location, part 141, professinal environment and most importantly, LOCATION.
Since I have a full time job, AF seemed to be the perfect choice but now with the recent NEWS headlines about American Flyers, I am lost and confused.

Can anyone recommend a great flight school that offers all that ratings and that are part 141 in the Chicagoland area?

Thanks in Advance

My first piece of advice would be that if you are seriously considering a career in aviation, DON'T get too attached to a single location from training until retirement. It's very rare that it will happen. If you read some of Doug's writings on the site, you'll see that he (a die-hard Left-Coaster) had to endure Wisconsin winters to claw his way up to Delta.

Do you have a college degree? If not, consider a program where you can get a degree and your flight training simultaneously ... whether that degree is in aviation or something else (that's a whole different argument). Like Doug, I am an Embry-Riddle grad, but recognize that that path is not for everyone.

I would shy away from American Flyers in light of the recent news. Whether there's anything to it, I don't know, but remember you're making a substantial financial investment, so due diligence is critical in selecting a training provider.

As to specific recommendations in the Chicago area, I am afraid I can't be of much help, but hopefully others on the board can. Remember to always keep your options open and you'll have a lot more luck making a career in this business.

Good Luck!

FL270

Agreed.

The absolute worst thing on earth for a person is to wholly commit himself to one city. When growing up on the west coast, I had no intention on earth of leaving California.

When I was younger:

-I figured I'd go to SJSU, CSUF or UCLA
-Instruct for a bit in Fresno
-"Get" hired on with Westair or Skywest
-"Get" hired by United and be based in LAX or SFO

But I went to school in AZ, moved back to CA, got a job in WI, moved to MI for a bit, then down to FL and then moved to AZ.

Ahh how plans change!

I swore I'd never move to the midwest, and my first opportunity was in WI. Then I swore I'd never move to the south, then I was hired by Delta.

Have you ever had any interest in living in Colorado Doug?

We travel there quite often, and I lived there for a short while... Would love to go back... it's just so expensive!

Nah, never really thought about Colorado, but it's very nice though!

I figure anywhere you want to live, so does everyone else, and the prices are going to reflect that.

Most people would love to live in Palos Verdes out in California, and the housing prices reflect that. Not a whole heck of a lot of people want to live in Ajo, AZ and you could probably buy a few hundred acres for a song.

[ QUOTE ]
I figure anywhere you want to live, so does everyone else, and the prices are going to reflect that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's certainly true. There are certain parts of the state that are cheaper than others... of course that's true just about anywhere.

What are the winter temps like around Scottsdale?

[ QUOTE ]
-Instruct for a bit in Fresno
-"Get" hired on with Westair or Skywest
-"Get" hired by United and be based in LAX or SFO

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with that? That's my plan, although I'm instructing in Hanford, not Fresno.
grin.gif

Flychicaga can probably recommend something in the Chicago area. Good luck

Surf

Nothing's wrong with that at all! That was my game plan when I first started, but my actual path varied tremendously from what I thought I'd do.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever had any interest in living in Colorado Doug?

We travel there quite often, and I lived there for a short while... Would love to go back... it's just so expensive!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all of Colorado is expensive. I lived for five years in Pueblo (about 100 miles south of Denver) and you could get a pretty descent 2 bedroom for 300-500 a month. I spent most of the rest of my life in the Denver area and I will admit Denver is pretty expensive though, and up in places like Vail, Aspen, Telluride, forget about it! Its probably more than the SF Bay area. Speaking of the SF Bay area I just moved here a few months ago and man oh man, do I miss those Pueblo prices! Do you have any Idea how hard it is to transition for $400 a month to $1400 a month!?
crazy.gif

We are actually thinking about moving to Colorado Springs. It seems like a nice community with a moderate cost of living, especially compared to the Denver area!

Back