Need some advice on how to best do this.

phoenix 23684

This is going to be a long post so I apologize before hand.

As some of you may know, I have been working as a FO for Colgan Air for about a year. Recently a great opportunity has presented itself and I'm going to take it. I have an opportunity to go to Afghanistan for about a year (90 days on 30 off) for a small aerial contract managing a couple of people and aircrafts, plus get to go to King air school as I will be flying very little, but enough to keep current. Basically, I can do this for a year and pay all my debt and then put a nice nest egg towards retirement.
Here's where I need the help. Colgan is going to be furloughing people but starting on Nov 1st. I would like to somehow get the voluntary furlough that they are offering so I can come back in a years term. I'm senior enough that I won't be furlough, but are looking for a way to sell the company into letting me do this. I personally think is a win-win situation for both since it allows them to keep someone junior who would otherwise be furlough, specially a q400 FO since they are the most junior, save on re-training cost about 20k. Also, I would come back and my cost to re-certify would be far less than a new off the street person. And I would come back with no debt what so ever so even if it puts me behind on upgrade I would not mind.
What do you guys think, is this something realistic, how to best present it to the company? I'm trying to avoid staring from scratch when I get back. Also, my ATP written will expire while deployed, am I protected while on furlough?

thanks

are you going to always fly for colgan? if not then why does it matter. you will be debt free and any time you start at another airline you start at the bottom again anyways.

how about presenting it to them just like you have here?

That's what I did, sent an e-mail to the HR lady that recruited haven't heard from them yet. Trying to see if anyone else ever tried anything like that. I don't plan to always work at Colgan, just trying to avoid going back to the bottom, I'm 33 so anything that I can do to avoid backpedaling would be great.

Hey Phoenix,

Does the company you're going to in Afghanistan need more pilots? There's a few of us in the help needed section that are talking about Humanitarian work in Africa, but I'm sure we'd go to the middle east/far east just as easily.

You shouldn’t be putting your life in danger over money, especially in Afghanistan since they are anti-American and provide a safe haven for the Taliban. Well at least if you insist on risking your life, don’t do it in the Middle East…go crab fishing in Alaska. We don’t need to see you on the nightly news as an American held hostage.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_2121.html

Hey Phoenix,

Does the company you're going to in Afghanistan need more pilots? There's a few of us in the help needed section that are talking about Humanitarian work in Africa, but I'm sure we'd go to the middle east/far east just as easily.

I wish, this is not primarily flying, instead is a manager position with perhaps a little bit of flying, as I understand it they use Mil guys and we have one contract flyer. I will mostly oversee the day to day operation, manage the crew, mechanics, and talk to the army.
I have heard of other outfits for flying, not sure what the companies are called, but I think there is a topic on APC. If I find an opening while I'm there I'll post the leads.

That's what I did, sent an e-mail to the HR lady that recruited haven't heard from them yet. Trying to see if anyone else ever tried anything like that. I don't plan to always work at Colgan, just trying to avoid going back to the bottom, I'm 33 so anything that I can do to avoid backpedaling would be great.

Make sure you get your chief pilot involved too.

You guys might think I'm crazy, but if I was in the same situation and didn't have a wife and/or kids, I'd do it.

Life's about the adventure man. Plenty of time to play it safe when you're 80.

Send Pictures Please

Make sure you get your chief pilot involved too.

You guys might think I'm crazy, but if I was in the same situation and didn't have a wife and/or kids, I'd do it.

Life's about the adventure man. Plenty of time to play it safe when you're 80.

Send Pictures Please

I think this will afford me an opportunity to return to flying without a lot of the stresses I/we share. Will def post pictures if I get the gig, and sadly I won't be able to attend the Vegas event.

You shouldn’t be putting your life in danger over money, especially in Afghanistan since they are anti-American and provide a safe haven for the Taliban. Well at least if you insist on risking your life, don’t do it in the Middle East…go crab fishing in Alaska. We don’t need to see you on the nightly news as an American held hostage.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_2121.html

:yeahthat:

There's nothing in that craphole country I ever care to see again. I might not have a choice, but If I did, it wouldn't be happening.

Back