Need reinstatement

LostComm

Hello Friends-
I'm trying to reinstate my CFI/II that I let expire. I'm in South Florida and it's tough to get anyone to even return a phone call. I guess business is good. I can take a ride, or add an MEI, but if anyone has scoop on a good school, CFI, or DPE I'll be grateful. Of course, along with the reinstatement I'll need the FR and ICC, as I'm not current, either. Thanks in advance everyone!
LC

Hello Friends-
I'm trying to reinstate my CFI/II that I let expire. I'm in South Florida and it's tough to get anyone to even return a phone call. I guess business is good. I can take a ride, or add an MEI, but if anyone has scoop on a good school, CFI, or DPE I'll be grateful. Of course, along with the reinstatement I'll need the FR and ICC, as I'm not current, either. Thanks in advance everyone!
LC
American Flyers out of PMP. MEI no issue.

Hello Friends-
LC
Kinda same boat. LMK what a MEI is going to cost ya!

I don’t know how much has changed but my old man taught me how to fly. He got his CFI in the 1960s. Fast forward to the late 1990s and he basically had to do his CFI ride all over again.

Kinda same boat. LMK what a MEI is going to cost ya!
I spoke with American Flyers yesterday. I'll do a little shopping around, but am likely to go with them if only for their size and availability of CFIs and planes. Of course no one can say for sure, but they ballparked 10K for an MEI. They suggested taking the double I ride again, which makes a ton of sense, since there's no need for a complex aircraft. This is the probable route I'm going to take and am planning 3-5K out the door. They said DPEs around here are between 6 and 1000, so we'll see where that lands.
LC

Holy crap! Those prices seem pretty outrageous. I just renewed my CFI again this year, despite not using it for 15 years. You never know right?

Holy crap! Those prices seem pretty outrageous. I just renewed my CFI again this year, despite not using it for 15 years. You never know right?
Seriously. The disparity between renewal and not using it vs lapsed and redoing is ridiculous. I wouldn't trust my teaching someone lazy 8s or accelerated turning stalls in a bonanza right now. But I'm current with no more oversight than I listened to some videos a few months ago.

I can't disagree. There's a lot of other places I'd like to throw that cash, but this seems to be the rate. Other schools in the area have reputations for cancelling at the last moment, and time is always a premium...!

I just went through this recently. This is the table of what needs to be done per the testing standards. Not a full ride. (Sounds like the flight school system might be trying to take you for a ride...)

Find a DPE that can give you the reinstatement ride. I do know one outside of PIT but you'd probably have to fly to him on a day off.

It was a course of sprouts - changing my mindset from 121 ops to basic flying stuff and teaching was challenging.

1634757507359.png

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/media/faa-s-8081-6d.pdf

I just went through this recently. This is the table of what needs to be done per the testing standards. Not a full ride. (Sounds like the flight school system might be trying to take you for a ride...)

Find a DPE that can give you the reinstatement ride. I do know one outside of PIT but you'd probably have to fly to him on a day off.

It was a course of sprouts - changing my mindset from 121 ops to basic flying stuff and teaching was challenging.

View attachment 61361
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/media/faa-s-8081-6d.pdf
Thanks very much- comparing CFI-A to CFII-A I'm thinking instruments is the way to go. I expect there'll be an emphasis on everything of course, but the number of tasks are far fewer. Thanks!
LC

We can go to Jack Brown's together!

That's where I did mine. 2 days of flying and never getting over 500' AGL. Hook Dupin and I went down there and did it together.

It's also my only busted checkride. Had a complete brain fart and could NOT remember how to step-taxi. Stupid on my part. Fixed it and passed.

That's where I did mine. 2 days of flying and never getting over 500' AGL. Hook Dupin and I went down there and did it together.

It's also my only busted checkride. Had a complete brain fart and could NOT remember how to step-taxi. Stupid on my part. Fixed it and passed.
I did mine at Kenmore in Seattle. Some of the most fun I've had in a plane- we went out to little islands and had lunch at their seaside restaurants and beached the plane at random spots. I always meant to go do a commercial seaplane, if only for my ego!
LC

In case anyone is following, I did a few hours of ground towards a FR last weekend. No flying due to local storms, but things are moving forward!
LC

I did mine at Kenmore in Seattle. Some of the most fun I've had in a plane- we went out to little islands and had lunch at their seaside restaurants and beached the plane at random spots. I always meant to go do a commercial seaplane, if only for my ego!
LC

I did mine under my Commercial, so I'm CSES. And yeah, it ain't real useful but it sure was fun. I still keep the column in my logbook. A whopping 7.6.

Back