Need help for Aviation Saftey Class

USAFplt

I have to stand up in class tomorrow and give a brief about how Part 119 came into existence from 135. My class is aviation safety. I have looked all over the internet but cant really find anything?? Can anyone give me some insight about why part 119 was a big impact?? Thanks a ton

It was a direct result of the two Eagle accidents in one year, 1995 - RDU J32 and Roselawn ATR.

It was publicized that commuters had a "different level of safety" - that being 135 and 121, so Congress stepped in (and of course common sense went out the window) and asked for "one level of safety."

The most ironic thing about this was that Eagle was already 121. They had discarded all 135 operations earlier that year.

Part 119 was used to "transition to one level of safety" so pilots of smaller aircraft could still fly more hours, i.e. 19-30 seaters could still do 1200 hrs/yr, 120/month and 34/week, as opposed to "true" 121 stds of 1000, 100 and 30.

Like most rulemaking processes it was horribly political and did not really do anything to increase safety, but did increase paperwork by requiring old 135s, now 121/119s to have dispatchers.

Unless someone can educate me otherwise, the work rules are essentially still the same since the 119 change.

One positive note, thanks to NASA, a few years ago the "legal to start, legal to finish" rule was blasted out of existence over huge opposition from the RAA and other airline agencies. They claimed it would require them to write new software for their crew tracking programs (debatable!)

But now the duty limits for a day are hard limits. You cannot be on duty more than 16 hrs at a 119 carrier. Believe it or not this was not always so - I remember one Eagle crew sitting in the lounge waiting to do their last turn to Punta Cana, which had been delayed 7 hrs already. They had been on duty for 19 hrs by 10 pm and they really wanted to go home, but Crew Scheduling said "Legal to Start, Legal to Finish!" and would not let them go. They finally called in "Fatigued" and went home. You don't want to use the "F" word in airlines, as these guys found out. The next day they were subjected to interviews, doctors examinations, and all kinds of harassment just because they used "Fatigue" to "get out of work" supposedly.

you are a life saver!! I'm going to study the casefiles for those accidents right now
wink.gif
thanks a ton!

I'll give you a hint: One involved icing and the other involved training records from Comair. The training records was pure political BS if you ask me, and we have that accident to thank for the new Pilot Records Improvement Act.

One way to summarize the changes to Parts 121 and 135 is as follows:
All of the management qualifications; what constitutes a particular kind of operation (e.g. flag, domestic, supplemental); airplane payload and seating capacity limitations; certificate application procedures; and certificate administration procedures, were moved into FAR 119. The operational requirements for a FAR Part 121 or 135 operator are still found in the applicable Part of the FAR.

This allows a common source document (FAR 119) to determine which kind of certificate is required (FAR 121 or 135), and how it must be managed.

this was done when the FAR 135 "commuter airlines" (regional airlines) were transferred to FAR 121 regulation under the "one level of safety" concept.

FYI, FAR 135 "commuter" operations still exist, but they are limited to scheduled non-turbojet airplane ops with 9 or fewer pax seats and payloads of 7500 pounds or less (or scheduled rotorcraft ops) -- see FAR 119.3.

In short Part 119 did not come from 135 but was intended to enhance the requirements to obtain and hold a 135 certificate due to the number of 135 commuter accidents. The history or reason for an FAR change can be found in the Preamble to each Regulation.

Back