Need advise/opinion about a career "transition"...what do you think?

There's a large range of supplementals, too. There's a huge difference between borderline domestic/flag cargo carriers and an outfit with one or two airframes.
Apparently they are all "rag tag" unless it's a major. LOL. I've known more than a few dispatchers with questionable ability end up at the majors.

I don't work at a supplemental, but I don't consider them ragtag.
I am sorry. There are a perfectly respectable Supplemental Carriers. There are a few that are scary. I consider my tenure at them priceless because I got experience I couldn't have gotten elsewhere. I was referring to the few scary ones out there. Peace.

Apparently they are all "rag tag" unless it's a major. LOL. I've known more than a few dispatchers with questionable ability end up at the majors.
If they DX'd for a Supplemental they really had to know what they are doing because they do not have the support they would get at a major. However, they might have picked up a few bad habits at a scary one.

Footnote: There are scary regular 121 Carriers out there as well. While jumpseating on company metal at AS, I happened upon a Captain that worked at the same Supplemental I did. He was telling me about giving a ride to a pilot from this scary regular 121 carrier. (Said carrier shall remain nameless to protect the innocent employees that work there.) This particular jumpseater would not allow his wife to non-rev on his own metal because losing an engine in flight was more frequent than he was comfortable with. He would send his wife on ID-90's on any other metal. So, to be fair, Supplementals are not the only scary operators out there.

It depends why the openings exist. Is it people moving up from a regional? Then no. In fact for a newbie, it would maybe be a good thing to look for. If they cite management or pay or culture and its a lot of lateral moves or people leaving the field, then bad sign.
I know that, in electronics, it's a BAD sign when there's a permanent help wanted sign up!

Back