Need Advice...

drumminpilot

I just started back into flying, and I'm working on my comm. I'm using two instructors that work together as a team. It was going very well, until something they started saying kind of got me worrying. We were talking about checkride prep, and they said "Yeah man, we sit in on all his (the examiners) rides, and we've written down every question he asks, so we know exactly what questions he'll ask you, and exactly what your flight will be." This kind of got me worried, because I'm going to be doing my CFI right after my comm. and I'm going to have a career in aviation. What good will it do me, to have a breeze checkride where I already know the next question before he even asks me? I know my CFI ride won't be that easy, and when I get hired as a corporate/airline/whatever pilot, I know my training won't be that easy. Do I have a valid cause to worry? Am I stupid for not wanting to "just get the ticket signed" or just have the easy way through? My option is to go ahead and start flying with the guy I'm doing my CFI with. He's been instructing for like 30 years, and is one of the toughest instructors around here. He has a 90% pass rate for CFI candidates with the feds, where the overall pass rate at OKC is like 10%. Well, to stop my rambling, I guess my question quotes a song... "Should I stay, or should I go?"

So you're worried that your CFI's are giving you the gouge on your examiner? Don't be. Consider yourself lucky. None of my CFI's ever had experience with the DE's they sent me to. I was totally unprepared for some of the questions I was asked on my oral. Even the OEG cannot prepare you for everything the examiner may ask. In these situations, getting the gouge from someone who had that examiner before is immensely helpful. Believe it or not, you can get the gouge on FSDO inspectors too if you know who to ask.

As long as you know everything in the PTS don't feel bad about getting the gouge. You should continue to study and learn even after your checkride. As long as you do make an effort to continually learn new things, there is no reason to feel guilty about getting the gouge on an examiner.

It's only a bad thing if you only stufy what they tell you. If you are a diligent student and cover all your bases there is no problem here....just don;t fall into the trap of doing "just enough" to get by because you know the questions.

Couldn't agree more with Alchemy. It is just using all available resources. Nobody said everything had to be super difficult.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else here. The FAA issues all of the questions and answers to the written exams, and there are a ton of oral exam study guides. There's nothing wrong with it at all!!!

mmmmmmm....toasty.
cool.gif

Back