Need advice on choosing flight school in SoCal

Artem

Hi! My friend who is on the forum told me you guys can help me with this question... Right now I'm an international student on F-1 visa in a Los Angeles college. I decided it's about time to finally get my Private Pilot, but for that I will have to drop my current school, because I don't think I can afford both. That's why I need a school that issues I-20 forms to international students, so I wouldn't be out of immigration status. So far I came up only with Group 3 at VNY and American Flyers at Santa Monica, but as far as I know they only have C172s with glass cockpits, I guess that's the reason their PPL programs start at $10,000 and up. While doing my research I came upon a few schools that have programs for around $6-7k total but these are in Washington state where the weather would probably extend my course for a couple of years. Do you guys know of any schools in LA area that provide I-20s and don't cost so much (maybe with a fleet of C150s)? What other options do I have as an international student? What's the right price for this course if I already have a little experience and I guess need only the minimum? Thank you all in advance.

If your willing to drive south towards orange county at SNA you can check out Sunrise Aviation. They usually have some international students. There training standards are higher than most places I've seen and been to.

http://sunriseaviation.com/

There is usually a company at Bracket (La Verne) that does international students.

Do discovery flights at a few places. Pick the one that seems to be the most organized. Ask questions to see if you get a canned response, or a more tailored response. Take a lesson or two with different instructors. You are going to be spending a lot of time with them. The most important thing is a personality match, aside from good maintenance. Then, get your immigration stuff handled.

Yea sunrise costs quite a bit. And if your in the LA area it is a long drive. I would check schools at LGB and SMO.

I have no knowledge on SoCal flight schools.

However if I read that correctly, you're looking to drop out of a non-flying degree to pursue a private ticket? Finish that degree, start working and then fly. I know, it sucks but it is the more financially responsible thing to do.

Thank you all for the replies. I'm going to see Krieger this week. Everything there seems to be what I was looking for. LGB is indeed a great location for me.

I have no knowledge on SoCal flight schools.

However if I read that correctly, you're looking to drop out of a non-flying degree to pursue a private ticket? Finish that degree, start working and then fly. I know, it sucks but it is the more financially responsible thing to do.

The thing is that I already have a degree in business, and this is my second degree, but I didn't exactly get what I wanted for this semester, so it will be more reasonable to drop it for now, besides I can always go back to it. It's just that I'm 23 and always wanted to fly, actually when I came here I thought I could make it to the Air Force, but things aren't exactly going as I planned. So I guess if I want a career in aviation I should give it a start right now before it's too late.

Royal Aviation at SNA... i wouldn't go to Sunrise or OCFC, those places the only thing they are good at is to take your money

Back