Need a 2 year degree?

TheFlyingTurkey

Fetus Worshiper
I was browsing the ATP website, and it say's you need a 2 year degree (or equivelent) to start flight training. What kind of crap is that? What do they care if I have a degree or not, as long as they get paid?

How serious can you be about becoming an "airline transport professional" if you don't have a degree?

I sure as hell wouldn't want to fly a 4 day trip with someone who didn't know anything about anything but aviation.

ALOFT,
Your kidding me right? I am not an 18 year old right out of high school who doesn't want to go to college. I am 29. I went to a 5 year technical school for industrial air conditioning. And I have lived a lot for my age. Through my own ignorance, I didnt think I had the aptitude for college. But after studying for, and working in, a highly technical field, I realize that I am capable of carrying on a conversation about topics other than aviation with someone on a 4 day trip!

My goal is to be hired with a regional, and after a few years of flying, when my salary goes up, I will get my degree through distance learning. HEY, if I could do it all over again, I would have gone to college at 17 when I graduated high school. It takes some of us a little longer to realize our full potential. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Turkey,

I dont think its crap at all? I am glad there are schools that are looking for more than a student loan app from their candidates. I am admittedly biased becasue that is the route I am most likely to take. I admire that a aviation training BUSINESS asks for an oral, a written, and a sim exam (seeing if one is teachable) before accepting , instead of just shoving a bunch of William D Ford Direct Federal Loan sheets in front of ya. I presume you are comfortable with that as well.

My perception is (from lots of sources, not just JetCareers posts) is that at ATP there are a lot of people, students and instructors alike, that are so busy operating AT their full potential that they arent having to suggest what their full potential is.

Relying on my own brand of ignorance now, what are you referring to in your mention of 4-day trips of only aviation talk?? Has this happened to you recently?

Thanks, Bluelake

Bluelake,
I was responding to aloft when he said he wouldn't want to fly with someone on a 4 day trip, who didn't know about anything other than aviation.
As far as ATP screening its applicants, its a good idea. You get people who are serious about a career in aviation. Beleive me, I wish I had my degree. But as the saying goes, seniority is everything. I could be flying a regional in 2 years from now, then get my degree, and have seniority. Im 29, I dont have time, or the money, to go get a 4 year degree, then go to flight school. Hell, I wouldn't get a job flying for 5-6 years, and still be in debt for over $100,000.
My goal of earning my degree after I start working for a regional, is the only economical, and logical choice for a guy in my shoes. Every day I wish I had gone to college after high school. But at the same time I dont regret the path I took. I earn a very good living, and I am well respected in my field. I am willing to give it up to go after the dream, the same dream we all share.
I just dont think it is up to flight schools to decide who should be able to persue thier dreams, and who should just stay home. When the regional airlines start to require a degree, then I will have to re-think my plans.
Turk

----> Dont drink and fly <------

Don't sweat it. The requirement is there to weed out the immature, the unsafe, and the untrainable. Your background is substantially more than an AS/AA degree, which I earned [a Cum Laude /Distinction AS] by sleeping in front of a bunch of professors for 7 semesters.

The guuys who give you a go/no-go won't worry too much about it. Know your stuff in the interview.

I am glad to hear what Sig says.. that it sounds like a "soft" requirement.

But, FlyingTurkey, are you suggesting that if you got a 4 year degree then after that it would be too late for a flight career? If you did that you would be 33 and thats what I almost am, so if my age is hopeless please tell me so I can save a lot of money and effort /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif:):) said in good humor, but with a point.

Bluelake

They'd probably kill me if I let on that it was a 'soft' requirement, but it is wide open with the "or equivalent" addendum! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

It is a demanding program scholastically. Take that into consideration as well.

All the best... (I have a colicky baby strapped to my chest and I'm doing my XC planning for my commercial in the morning. Talk about stressors. DAMN.)

Screaming babies

Don't know how much this will help this late... stick the kid in the car seat on top of the dryer, throw some towels in, and run the dryer.

For some strange reason, being in a moving car or on top the dryer seems to calm the little ones.That plus a good pair of ear plugs.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Re: Screaming babies

I was a colicky baby as well. Maybe that explains why my dad chose painting automobiles and the local pub over flight training, for which he was offered... /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif::))

As for the above, am I correct that the word "scholastic" is a euphemism for "your gonna have to read and learn and study your ass off"??? tharts my interp of ATP's pace.

Bluelake,
No, by all means, I am not saying that at age 33 it would be too late to go for a career in aviation. But what I was saying, is that by 33 I could have been flying for 2 of those years, moving up the seniority list, while others are still in college.
If your 18, seniority is not as much of a concern as it is for a 33 year old trying to earn a living.
Turk

Remember if u get with an Airline when ur 40 years old.. you'll sill have 20 years before u have to retire from and Airline. Especially since u want to fly Regional. u have more than enough time.....

Turk,
Oh yes, I absolutely agree on that one. Here is the $1,000,000 question though... is a 2 year jump on seniority always gonna keep ya ahead of those that have more education (ie: a BS or MS or more..), especially if the next year or so are not gonna be spectacular hiring years..

I am under the hope, faith, prayers, that even though I am starting late, the fact somewhere between 21 and 33 is a very good education followed by a good job history is gonna help me.

I was happy when somewhere Doug mentioned that in his Delta class had a forestry major.... thats my heritage. Funny thing is, I have thought more about aviation in the past three years than seven years of forestry..... oh well.

Bluelake

Hey, you know what, I'm with Turk on this one. I'm 24 and half-way to a BS. I'm not going back to college now. I'm going to flight school and then get a job with a regional. Then I'll finish the rest of my degree online within a year or so once I've started my career. Turk's right. There are accelerated programs that can get you a 4 year degree in less than two years. They cut the crap and get to the point. Turk will have a degree just in time to apply for the majors if he does it right. Blue Lake, open your mind a little bucko.

Thanks Robair,
But the key is to get that degree. And yes Bluelake, those 2 years of seniority will help me at the regional over a guy 2 years junior with a BS. Because at a regional, a degree is not needed. Remember, it can take 5 up to 8-10 years to get to a major. Plenty of time to get that BS. And who knows, I may want to stay with that regional.

I can't remember how many times I've said it, but GET A DEGREE.

Not because I have an ivy league bias... Or that I'm a snob with a bachelors degree, but the truth of the matter is that for every one open pilot position, you may be competing with 10 other pilots, with degrees, for that same position.

Especially in this economy! There are lots of furloughed pilots with 737 time, RJ captain time, 4-year degrees, etc that you have to compete with for jobs.

Believe me, I've seen this time and time again over the last 9 years of being a professional pilot.

I wish I could show you the email I got from pilots complaining about not being called for interviews a few years ago when hiring was brisk and generally, the common trait they had was no college degree.

BTW, I've got a furlough that I'm sponsoring with a 737 type rating (with about 800 hrs in type), a bachelors degree, a few thousand hours of CL-65 PIC and he's having trouble finding a job.

This is the guy you're going to be competing with.

Just to answer the original question; No, you don't need a 2-year college degree. It's not a hard requirement, as such.
Work experience will do, volunteer work, you name it.

It's more a requirement to make sure an applicant isn't a 'bum', who's never done a day's work in his or her life, be it studying or working.
In a crash-course like this it's important, to say the least, that you can pull off some good long 'work'-days.

Cheers,
Helge

Back