NEATEST SIGHT

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't flying the plane, was on a commercial flight. But, on my way from San Diego to ATL last year, there were thunderstorms and we were flying around this HUGE thunderhead at night and the lightning was dancing all inside and around the cloud. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. It was the most spectacular light show I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen the same thing. I remember one time commercially coming here into RDU at night I saw a light show in a distance. On May 3rd, 1999, on my way to DFW, also commercially, I saw a light show & hail show flying through severe t-storms. I've seen a few more things also but I haven't got enough time on my hand right now to tell about them.

Out in Socal one day I had an America West A320 buzz over my head crossing from left to right at about 1000 feet. That was a pretty neat sight.
grin.gif

i would have to say....

st. elmo's fire dancing away on the cockpit glass at night while enroute to denver this past summer. It was probably one of the coolest sights ever, a picture would not have done justice to it.... but yeah.... definitely the coolest thing i've seen.

Actually I retract my previous post...I had completely forgotten about the northern lights during the solar flare...flying from EWR to MKE (on Continental Express) last month. The whole sky was covered in oscillating red, green, purple and orange--it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

" Neatest Sight " The View Outside the window when i'm in the Air. I'd say those are the " Neatest Sights "

is it me or does " Neatest Sight " sound Nerdy ???

Well unfortunately, all my coolest sights have been in commercial flights, but thats going to change....

Ditto the thunderstorms, I've seen a couple of those....

My coolest sight though was actually on a flight out of Seattle into overcast skys just before dawn. We broke out of the clouds at probably around 10,000, and right there was Mt Ranier bathed in the morning light. It seemed close enough to touch.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the sights out the window in Alaska, whenever I get there...

cj

This is going to sound a little like Scorpio's post, but what I like seeing best is the runway lined up with the nose. It's like stepping out to the plate in a baseball game or getting into the blocks on the track, but a bigger rush...the "here we go" moment, if that makes any sense. Sorry, I'm too junior in hours to have been visited by the ghosts of bombers past, so until then, that'll have to do.
grin.gif
Man, I hope that happens to me someday!

[ QUOTE ]
This is going to sound a little like Scorpio's post, but what I like seeing best is the runway lined up with the nose. It's like stepping out to the plate in a baseball game or getting into the blocks on the track, but a bigger rush...the "here we go" moment, if that makes any sense. Sorry, I'm too junior in hours to have been visited by the ghosts of bombers past, so until then, that'll have to do.
grin.gif
Man, I hope that happens to me someday!

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, nothing like being on a 2 mile final with a half dozen aircraft waiting to depart and no doubt all eyes are on you. Landings are undeniably what many people(non pilots) judge a pilots performance on.

[ QUOTE ]
Landings are undeniably what many people(non pilots) judge a pilots performance on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Captain Obvious.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Landings are undeniably what many people(non pilots) judge a pilots performance on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Captain Obvious.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You welcomem tool
cool.gif

My instructor and I were flying in the practice area NW of Prescott, AZ. I think I was doing Basic Instrument stuff when Alison, my instructor, took controls... after first i thought... great what did I do? She told me to take my foggles off and look. Infront of us was the NASA 747 hauling the space shuttle from the west coast back to Florida. It was only about 10,000 MSL, and when you are practicing at 8,000ish... it makes for an interesting sight. We radioed other school traffic on the practice area frequency to let them know it was comming thier way... we chased it as far as we could, but even wieghted down like it was, our little 172 was not match for the mighty 747!

Oh, that and the T-6 that was flying loops past me in the practice area... so much for the productivity of that flight
wink.gif

Marilyn

Coolest thing I've ever seen:

Hovering in a helicopter at 10,000 feet just east of Lakeland Florida for an early morning space shuttle launch. The sun was just coming up and there was a low deck of clouds. The shuttle pops through the cloud deck and against a florida sunrise heads into space.

When stationed onboard the USS Ranger (CV-61) I we encountered the Russians twice. The first was underway between San Diego and Yokosuka (sp?). We were up towards the Alaska/Russia area and a Russian bomber tracked us for awhile and was quite a sight to see. Later during the cruise while in the Persian Gulf we had a Russian helicopter land on the flight deck. I believe that this was a first in history. It was the weirdest looking thing. It had no tail rotor and two regular (is that what they're called
grin.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
Hovering in a helicopter at 10,000 feet just east of Lakeland Florida for an early morning space shuttle launch. The sun was just coming up and there was a low deck of clouds. The shuttle pops through the cloud deck and against a florida sunrise heads into space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.
ooo.gif

Can't even imagine how great that'd be.

I've gotta spend less time on the internet.
My first thought when I saw this thread, was a list of great URL's.
Merry Chirstmas all.

One time, me and my instructor were flying in his Aero Commander, doing surveying work over Henry County.... which begins at the North with KATL.... we were flying straight lines at 5000'. We flew in between the parrallel runways with the landing traffic on either side of us... going almost the same speed as us, like we were flying formation. We were doing this for about an hour. Ill never forget the controller asking if he needed to deviate the departing aircraft to stay out of our path! Deviate departures from the busiest airport in the world for US??
grin.gif

I remember a different time, we had just flown out of a storm in the very early fall. It was twilight fading to night, and the fog was forming on the ground below us. The sun was setting right in front of us, and you could see the Atlanta city lights in the distance to the north. All of the sudden WHAM.... huge streaks of lightning lit up the sky directly in front of us... seemingly out of nowhere. Scared the hell out of me... that was my first experiance with Clear Air Lightning!

Back