Navy Warrant Officer pilots

BravoHotel

I met one for the first time today. Struck me as odd, I thought only the Army had Warrant Officer aviators.

The USN instituted Warrant Officer aviators for rotary wing and patrol planes (don't know if E-2/C-2 also) a few years ago. So yes, they're there alright, as most of the originals have by now finished their training and are out in the fleet. Unlike Army Warrants, I do believe the USN WO's have to have been an E-6 minimum before qualifying, whereas the Army guys can be off the street.

Yes they are only selected from experienced and vetted E-6's (there may have been a clause for E-5's can't remember. E-2/C-2 was not part of the program, as jets/tacair werent either. It was a test program for a year or two a few years back and I'm not sure if it was continued (previously selected and now winged folks notwithstanding of course)

Interesting. When I was talking to USMC recruiters in 1990, I had expressed interest in rotary-wing and asked about a WO program. They told me the WO program had been phased out. Guess they brought it back?

You can look at this program in two ways:

1. It's a source of cheap labor. They get pilots for less money.

2. It's an opportunity for service members who want to be pilots who don't want to jump through Officer hoops like a degree, OBC, command and staff time, etc.

I still don't know why they don't let them into the jet or E2/C2 community. If they make the cut, why not?

I still don't know why they don't let them into the jet or E2/C2 community. If they make the cut, why not?

Curiously, did you see any as students who were doing T-6s? Or do you not see any of the primary folks running around?

The reasoning I heard was manning issues and this addressing a need for more bodies in the cockpits and less heads vying for DH in those communities. Not sure if that is/was true though

Back