Navy.. Recruiters.. Is there truth out there?

Tram

Hey guys-

I have been thinking about trying to join the Navy.. However, my GPA is sorta on the low end.. 2.7.. Is this too low to even try? One recruiter told me they only take 4.0's, another 3.0's and another 3.5.. One also told me he couldn't fill out any paper work on me with lowered than a 3.5... However, my dad said they HAVE to take my application.. even if i show up with a gimp leg and one eye.. He's ex-Navy..

So, I was hoping for a little advice!
smile.gif

Thanks guys

Jeff

that recruiter is F.O.S. we had plenty of people that just had GED's.

[ QUOTE ]
So, I was hoping for a little advice!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to enlist or get a commision? Any other pertinent info (i.e. things that make things more complex...)??

Personally, I think he's full of it.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think he's full of it.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. ^$#&ing recruiters... Only time I've ever heard one be honest is after they've finished their recruiting tour. It's important to go in knowing exactly what you want.

Calling all squids and deck apes! Okay, I couldn’t resist that.

Always take things with a grain of salt when talking to a recruiter. How are your ASVAB scores? Unless you are married to the idea of being sailor check out the other branches, a bit of competition between them can’t hurt. But above all, join for the right reason.

I went Air Force when I was 19 and after 6 years in Security Forces I got out and went into the Corps. Loved them both.

Hey bro like everyone else said recruiters are full of poop. He might be just using that line on you so that he can con you into doing a job you don't want to do. I just got out of the Marine Corps and have spent almost a year on various ships. If you have ANY questions about the sea life, or the naval service in general, give me a PM.

If he is talking about enlisting he is full of crap. They can get you in with a low GPA. If you are talking about a college GPA and are trying to be an officer, it all depends.

I work with people trying to get to OCS all the time and two years ago if you had a degree, met the physical requirements, and scored high enough on the ASTB more than likely you were going to get accepted to OCS. Not anymore. The navy met its officer accession goals in the first 2 months of the fiscal year this year because we had a backlog of people from last year. It will probably continue for a bit that way. My typical candidate that gets into OCS right now has a 3.0 or better in a technical field. Gets at least a 55 on the ASTB and is in very good physical shape. PM me with your specific situation and what you are trying to do and I will get back to you with more info on Monday.

alright Buddy !! it's been 9 days since you posted.

It would be nice to know if your a Highschool Grad or College if you want the right answer !!!!

For the Most part Shooter13 is Correct.
I'm currently Active duty in the Navy, Shooter13 is also.
Were enlisted.

Any question about our personal thoughts about the U.S Navy Feel free to ask( we can tell you the good or the Bad.
Good luck.

Good lordy, there might be one out there after all! I just had a recruiter call me at work yesterday and ask if I could meet with one of his prospectives, since he didn't know anything about the CT world. I was flabbergasted, but fairly impressed. Good on him. Anyway, I'm available, too, if you'd like some information that shooter or scorpio can't provide. I'm active duty enlisted as well. Feel free to PM.

No •! you were a CT? I was a code monkey and a linguist in the Marine Corps. Let me tell you how much I don't miss sitting in the SSES for 12 hours a day! I was on the Kearsarge in '01 and the Saipan right before OIF. They said the Saipan had just been pulled out of dry dock for upgrades before we shipped out to Iraq. Well, I couldn't tell they did anything to troop berthing. If that's how it is after the upgrades I can only imagine how it was before. We still had sling racks! I guess they had hammocks before it went in to dry dock. The Saipan did have the most awesome gym ever though. Ahhh! I really don't miss ship life. Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
No •! you were a CT? I was a code monkey and a linguist in the Marine Corps. Let me tell you how much I don't miss sitting in the SSES for 12 hours a day! I was on the Kearsarge in '01 and the Saipan right before OIF. They said the Saipan had just been pulled out of dry dock for upgrades before we shipped out to Iraq. Well, I couldn't tell they did anything to troop berthing. If that's how it is after the upgrades I can only imagine how it was before. We still had sling racks! I guess they had hammocks before it went in to dry dock. The Saipan did have the most awesome gym ever though. Ahhh! I really don't miss ship life. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Still am, bro. <ticktock, ticktock> Less than 90 days now!!
grin.gif
Yah, the nice upgrades were no doubt to the electronics packages, etc. Now if you'd been air force...
smirk.gif
It's terrible the way they pack the Marines in there. Fortunately and unfortunately for me, my whole time has been spent on Army bases. No ship crap to deal with (talk about rode hard and put away wet, a friend of mine was a rider-deployed over 320 days last year!), but man Army bases suck lol. (I know, listen to me whine, right?) Take it (sl)easy!

Yeah, you say that you can't wait to get out, but then as soon as the reality has hit and the last paycheck direct deposited, you realize how much you miss it. Well some of it! The lifestyle change is hard to get used to. It's been seven years since I was last a free man. I don't miss the duty or the time away from home on the important days. I do miss the flying, the cool trips and places as well as getting to work with some cool s*^t! I like being a civillian again, but I do think about the Navy sometimes and the great benefits they gave me.
This guy has written back, so maybe you all answered his question or he heard something he didn't want to hear. My advice to this guy is that Yes there are a lot of scheister recruiters out there. They bend the truth to the degree they can to get that quota. But there are those that will tell you straight up and will try their damndest to get you in and get you the job you want. My recruiter was outstanding he fought to get me in and get me what I wanted. He told me exactly how the Navy was and what it as well as bootcamp was like. If you don't like what he says, go see another recruiter somewhere else or call CNRC 1-800-USA-NAVY(I think that's still the number, don't quote me on it), ask them a question.

Oh, I know it's a hard transition, believe me. I know exactly why some people buckle at the last minute and re-up.The military is a nice comfort zone in a lot of ways (aside from the whole killing/getting killed part). NICE medical/dental, life insurance, education, etc., but as nice as those things are, the list of reasons I have for getting out is far longer.
smile.gif
So even if I'm a little anxious, I'll take my 214 with a smile.

You know it wasn't the paycheck I missed so much as I missed my friends. It sucks leaving all your buddies behind knowing that it just isn't possible to stay in touch with everybody. I had a real hard time on the outside at first, I was in pretty bad shape kinda lost touch with reality. I got discharged less than 2 months after getting back from Iraq, that's a lot to leave behind when all you have known for your entire adult life is the military. I've learned to deal with it a little better now, but from time to time I still want to choke the crap out of some of my classmates that complain about how hard they have it. I swore I'd never go back in, but now that I am living as a civilain I realize that I do like the military life. In fact after I graduate I will probably go back in if I still feel the need in a couple of years. I have good vision, so maybe I'll fly for the Corps, but right now I'm thinking JAG is where I really want to be. Until then I am happy just having served my country, and hanging out with some of those salty dogs at the VFW and Marine Corps League.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I know it's a hard transition, believe me. I know exactly why some people buckle at the last minute and re-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, maybe I'm different, but after 8 good years, I didn't look back...not for one second!!!! To me, it was one of the most awesome feelings in the world...I was FREE!!!!

The funny thing is that the day I went on terminal, I had a horrible cold, and I drugged myself up with every over-the-counter remedy available. The next morning, I slept until noon, and I knew that the civilian life was for me!!!!

Easiest transition I ever made!!!!
grin.gif

I have 17 months left and still don't know what to do. Stay in( Apply for officer program ) or getting out.
( To many pilots in the Navy;there allowing some pilots with less than 4 years in service get out).

Time does fly though. I rememeber back in Early September 2002 when i graudated boot camp .
4 years seemed like a long time, but it really fly's.

P.s just got out of work 3 hrs ago. it was - 10 degrees. and -25 wind chill . what a night !!

GO Navy !!!!
grin.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Back