Nasal Polyps/Sinus surgery

Sorry, man! The narcotics always worked wonders for me. I’m betting they gave you a low dose. I always have to push them to give me a real dose because they’re all so unreasonably skittish about opioids nowadays.

It only takes a few days to go away, though. Then you’ll see how much better life is intended to be without sinus problems. Worth it! Trust me.
Haha well it’s too late now, no turning back. Last dose finally seemed to do something and I managed to sleep a couple hours.

Bit of an update. Doing fine now and ready to return to duty, however, checked with my AME and I need FAA approval/review to return. I’m hoping it’s just a paperwork thing since my surgeon said I’m good to go, but knowing the FAA’s efficiency as we all do I’m worried this could take awhile.

What was y’all’s AME process to return if any?

Yeah, that would be a problem. :)

But you can still get advice from them, you'll just have to pay a small fee for it. Check them out here: Individual Assistance - AMAS
Thanks. Sent off to them. $50 is less than $300 at the moment. Not sure what I’ll do if they come back and say you’re good to go having two different answers to the same question, but that seems to be aviation doesn’t it. I’m sure if I also asked AOPA med they’d have a different answer too. We’ll see.

Thanks. Sent off to them. $50 is less than $300 at the moment. Not sure what I’ll do if they come back and say you’re good to go having two different answers to the same question, but that seems to be aviation doesn’t it. I’m sure if I also asked AOPA med they’d have a different answer too. We’ll see.

Trust me, AMAS is THE expert on this stuff. Wouldn't necessarily trust AOPA, but you can trust AMAS.

Trust me, AMAS is THE expert on this stuff. Wouldn't necessarily trust AOPA, but you can trust AMAS.
They got back to me within the hour. Said I could just self declare and report it at my next medical. Told him who my AME was and said he was shocked he would say that because he knows him. I go to this AME because he has a reputation for being good with paperwork if a need for it arises. Now I’m wondering. Gonna talk to one more AME that’s closer to me (my current one is a 50 minute drive) and if he breaks the tie he’s gonna be my new AME. No point driving all that way if he’s just doing paperwork unnecessarily.

I have a consultation for this very same surgery this Friday! I have a deviated septum, chonic rhinitis, and hypertrophy of the turbinates according to the last time I saw the doc 3 years ago. I can rarely breath at all through my left nostril. super excited and have been putting it off for too long. @averettpilot our pictures are very similar haha.

I had this done (specifically, I had a cyst in my right maxillary sinus that was drained, and they also did a few other "as long as we're in here" sort of things to make it easier to breathe) when I was in my early twenties and it was and is a non-event on my medical application. I rarely get colds at all, nowadays; I was getting one a month and now they're maybe once every six months. Except this summer when I had one two months in a row, but I'm going to chalk that up to making up for last year when I had zero colds.

The narcotics didn't do anything for me after surgery either other than make me queasy, but I also had very little in the way of pain post-surgery.

I'll disagree on the pain front. I definitely wanted my painkillers for the first two days after surgery. Make sure they give you the good stuff instead of that 5 mg crap.

I’ll report back. This ENT was recommended by my AME years ago so I won’t worry about going back to DR Ross until after the surgery. Based on what you guys are saying it’s a non event and I don’t have plans to fly in the next month or so anyways.

Whelp, got the surgery today. They gave me antibiotics, anti nausea, 250mg hyracodeine. So far mostly discomfort over pain but man I can’t believe how much mucous and blood there is. Both nostrils are 100% clogged right now. It they told me to breathe through ky mouth the first two days anyways.

Back