Narcan

Are y'all having a statistically-significant number of in-flight deaths due to opioid overdoses?

Like I assume AEDs are present because they are a low-cost response to the number-one cause of death in the US: heart disease.

Overdoses aren't in the top 10 (across the average of all demographics), so based on that I don't see a justification for it.

Are y'all having a statistically-significant number of in-flight deaths due to opioid overdoses?

Like I assume AEDs are present because they are a low-cost response to the number-one cause of death in the US: heart disease.

Overdoses aren't in the top 10 (across the average of all demographics), so based on that I don't see a justification for it.

Only on Spirit….

I’m all for preventative measures to emergencies (which is why I have a pretty robust trauma first aid kit and tourniquets in my cars) but damn. Like where is somebody doing enough opioids in a plane to get to the requirement for Narcan, and if they are wandering through the airport in that condition how the F are they boarding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypothetically, there is someone out there that looks a lot like me that gets a lot of medicals on particular segments. What those segments may or may not have in common is the origin… maybe it’s a popular cruise port or a city where you may have lost some wages… The common thread is a passenger that goes from mostly sea level to a mile high cabin altitude while suffering from the effects or after effects of their disconnect from reality of their choice.

On a bad day, the aircraft is met. On a good day, it’s the 2 O’s. OJ and O2.

The most common thread connecting all of the irregularities is the hole in the cheese that is the operational pressures at the gate and the cabin crew.

Personally, I make a big deal to my cabin crew that we need to catch things prior to the door being closed. And I make sure to empower them to immediately bring the issues to me along with stressing that they are the eyes and ears, if they aren’t comfortable… neither am I.

So, rather than stocking a no-go kit with additional supplies, I think the answer is to hold people to the legality that is the FAR’s and the fine print of the carriage agreement.

Preventable issues make for good story time.

I don't see why not. There are all kinds of other, way more controlled, drugs in the EEMK on board. I know we've had a few overdoses on board in the past few years, mostly out of Vegas. Narcan is cheap, effective, has low risk of complications, and the nasal injectors are super easy to use. I carry one in a a trauma kit in my car, as well as one in a med kit in my hiking pack.

I don't see why not. There are all kinds of other, way more controlled, drugs in the EEMK on board. I know we've had a few overdoses on board in the past few years, mostly out of Vegas. Narcan is cheap, effective, has low risk of complications, and the nasal injectors are super easy to use. I carry one in a a trauma kit in my car, as well as one in a med kit in my hiking pack.

I think it's politics.

But if it's saving someone and having the requisite paperwork and "effery" after someone expires on your jet, hell, it's the size of an epipen, throw it in the red bag and be done with it.

I disagree a bit with the “low risk” of complications part about Naloxone. If you slam it you run the risk of someone having some very projectile vomiting - not to mention killing their high which has its own inherent issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think it's politics.

But if it's saving someone and having the requisite paperwork and "effery" after someone expires on your jet, hell, it's the size of an epipen, throw it in the red bag and be done with it.

Wait... there's politics around narcan availability?

I disagree a bit with the “low risk” of complications part about Naloxone. If you slam it you run the risk of someone having some very projectile vomiting - not to mention killing their high which has its own inherent issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But did you die?

According to this NBC News article, Narcan has been approved for over-the-counter sale, and will be $50 for a two-dose pack. An applicator has a shelf-life of three years.

I don't know enough about the burden of maintaining a first aid kit for an aircraft (where Narcan falls in the list of priorities), but $1700/year for a 100-aircraft fleet when you're in the livestock business doesn't seem crazy.

I think it's politics.

Someone was arguing the cost/benefit angle of having it in the bag.... I would ask what is the cost of a diversion should the need arise and you don't have it....

Someone was arguing the cost/benefit angle of having it in the bag.... I would ask what is the cost of a diversion should the need arise and you don't have it....

There are far, far crazier things in an EEMK than Narcan. Lemme see if I have a contents list somewhere.

To be fair....

You'd probably still have to divert. It's an uptake inhibitor, so after it wears off (which happens pretty quickly), if the subject had enough drugs in their system they could overdose again.

To be fair....

You'd probably still have to divert. It's an uptake inhibitor, so after it wears off (which happens pretty quickly), if the subject had enough drugs in their system they could overdose again.
fair enough. I suppose they would have a large supply on board. I know my wife will routinely end up giving multiple doses. Like mentioned I suppose the hassle of someone passing onboard would be enough to hope it was there....

fair enough. I suppose they would have a large supply on board. I know my wife will routinely end up giving multiple doses. Like mentioned I suppose the hassle of someone passing onboard would be enough to hope it was there....

I just looked in our OnBoard Manual. We have Narcan onboard. Is it controversial?

Back