Nailing Laser pointers from Airplane...could it work?

MaRiO FDZ

JJ Abrams you Insensitive Bastard.
I had another Laser encounter last night and I started thinking if there could be a way to get rid of them... Discussing it with anoher pilot, we came up with this idea, wondering if it could work. GA seems harder to make it work, but airlines could definetly try it.

How feasable could it be to install a launcher that releases like a small, disposable smart bomb that locks on a cordinate upon where a laser pointer was fired at an aircraft (even if only for a couple of seconds), and once it reaches the target coordinate it bursts and releases a UV or Infrared dye that police can pick up on the ground ??

I know this may be a loooong shot, but I seriously don't think this is too far fetched. Whatcha think, could it be done?

Take Care

How feasable could it be to install a launcher that releases like a small, disposable smart bomb that locks on a cordinate upon where a laser pointer was fired at an aircraft (even if only for a couple of seconds), and once it reaches the target coordinate it bursts and releases a UV or Infrared dye that police can pick up on the ground ??

Between the cost, developing the technology, installing such technology in a commercial aircraft and the ensuing chaos both in the air and on the ground along with the insurance/liability issues........I don't see a problem. Even if they can't find the person, they'll have plenty of blood from the shrapnel to test his DNA with. :D

Last edited:
How about a sensor, that could measure the angle, strength (what ever else the engineers need). That in combination with the aircraft co-ordinates they might be able to get a location.

Probably the easiest solution to actually implement, but it will still cost a lot of money to catch a handful of idiots per year. Don't see it happening. A far less expensive solution would be to just issue flight crew with anti-laser glasses

http://www.phillips-safety.com/lase...glasses/laser-strike-eyewear/pspbgr-lens.html

KTUS tower was just talking last night with me and another bird airborne at 2330, following a laser incident against a Sheriff's fixed wing from a car that was being followed and eventually caught, that the TUS area has one of the highest, if not the highest, rates of reported laser incidents against aircraft. I hadn't known that.

Probably the easiest solution to actually implement, but it will still cost a lot of money to catch a handful of idiots per year. Don't see it happening. A far less expensive solution would be to just issue flight crew with anti-laser glasses

http://www.phillips-safety.com/lase...glasses/laser-strike-eyewear/pspbgr-lens.html
Hmmm tombstone technology?? I figure the glasses work, but If you catch a dozen idiots doing it and make an example out of it you'll have people double guessing if they should...

Take care

If you catch a dozen idiots doing it and make an example out of it you'll have people double guessing if they should...

These idiots should serve their time in the stocks, placed just outside the local airport's main parking lot. With a big sign explaining what they did.
Maybe getting kicked in the taint a few hundred times by pax and crew would be a good example for others.

The detection of the laser and the subsequent geo-location of that spot after it had been turned off would be difficult.

Lasers, by nature of their energy being so focused, are difficult to detect unless they are being pointed directly at you. When they are being pointed at you, it is tough to get past the "dazzle" of being painted to be able to follow the direction of the laser back to the source. Lots of bad guys would like to have this technology sitting atop their valuable military targets right next to a GPS spoofer.

The lasers (usually ND:YAG) that are used to guide weapons and can be used to generate weapons-quality coordinates (so the "dye bomb" would actually know where to go) are more powerful and expensive than consumer-grade lasers. Until there is some change in technology, it would be prohibitively expensive.

Even in the .mil, we were just issued Laser Protection Eyewear as protection (in my jet's case, CLEPIR glasses).

Last edited:
I'm gonna need a pair of these to wear on the overnight. And will we have an amendment to 121 requiring one crew member to be wearing the goggles at all times at night (or when the sun is below 6 degrees above the horizon when operating above 60 degrees north latitude)?

Attachments

• laser.jpg
    laser.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 140
Back