Myrtle Beach

CK

Has any one ever been down to the airport in Myrtle Beach? I'm going down for a week over spring break(with my family
crazy.gif
) and figured I'd ask if any one here knows what's fun to do down there. I guess I'll try to play a game of golf so if any one knows of any good courses that would be helpful. One more question, hows the airport (more spefically the FBO) there? I wouldn't mind spending an hour or two there, but wouldn't want to get arrested for lottering or conspericy to crash an airplane with my camera. Would the FBO tell me to get the hell away if I wasn't flying in?

Thanks.

I take it you are going to fly into Grand Strand (KCRE). Its only a few blocks from the beach. There are plenty of golf courses to play. If you like a wide open course checkout Wicked Stick a John Daly course. Courses there are like gas station they are everywhere. I am sure there will some of the theme parks open also. Eat plenty of seafood. And have a blast for us who will be working.,

CRE has alot more stuff nearby like Hooters. MYR is an old Military Air Base and not very personal. The FBO isnt bad but there isnt a hole lot there.

I usually go to Myrtle Beach a couple times per year. I've never been in the FBO, but I've driven by it a few times. It's located on the old Air Force Base. They are starting to develop the base, but it's fun to drive through. The street names are Mustang Alley and such.

There's also an airport in North Myrtle Beach KCRE I think. I was in the FBO there once, but there wasn't much happening.

I'm not a golfer, but there are a lot of golf courses to choose from. I think there's about 1300 restaurants to choose from too.

Have fun.

Myrtle Beach! The Redneck Riviera!

The last time I was in Myrtle Beach, the AFB was still open and A-10s were always flying up and down the beach.

I remember that there is a Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum, as well as the usual seafood and beach stuff.

Myrtle isnt the redneck riviera anymore. Panama City beach has taken that over and king for many years.....haha

I'm not flying in there so I'm not asking what the best airport to fly into is
tongue.gif
I'm just interested to know whether or not I'll be arrested for taking pictures around the airport.

[ QUOTE ]
you taking the family citation down to myrtle?

[/ QUOTE ]

My family doesn't own a Citation.
tongue.gif

Myrtle Beach is a very nice place, I was just there less than a month ago, as for the airport itself it is pretty quiet mostly air tran 717's and spirit DC-9 and MD-80's some GA aircraft, I did see a Hooters Air 737-200 (no hooters girls though
crazy.gif
) but that's pretty much it. I would definitely suggest going to the NASCAR restaurant, they got like 15 go cart tracks behind there it's pretty cool.

Myrtle Beach is one of my favorite places to go. At the old AFB (KMYR) they are a part time class C airport, really helpful people at Mrytle Beach Aviation. They have helped me get arrangements to the stay the night when unexpected weather moved in on my route back home. At Grand Strand (KCRE) they are more isolated from the "main strip" of myrtle beach the KMYR is. Everything is 5-10 car ride from MYR's airport. Up at Grand Strand CRE, the ramp 66 people were not very helpful, and they close early sometimes. I can send you pictures of the airport and area from the air if you would like.

[ QUOTE ]
Myrtle Beach is a very nice place, I was just there less than a month ago, as for the airport itself it is pretty quiet mostly air tran 717's and spirit DC-9 and MD-80's some GA aircraft, I did see a Hooters Air 737-200 (no hooters girls though
crazy.gif
) but that's pretty much it. I would definitely suggest going to the NASCAR restaurant, they got like 15 go cart tracks behind there it's pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are lots of great things in Myrtle Beach, and NASCAR cafe is definitely one of them, even though I am not a fan. Also Ripley’s Believe it or Not, Ripley’s Aquarium, Planet Hollywood, GOLF, GOLF, GOLF, and more GOLF, oh and the Boardwalk. I’m sure there’s lots more it’s been a while since I was there. When Hooters Air started last year I think all they flew was ATL to MYR. As for the Hooters girls I think there was some type of agreement with the FAA they would wear wind suits in the terminals and only take them off after they were in flight. Also it seems to me I remember someone telling me that they took a ATL-MYR flight with them and they did this whole production as they took the windsuits off. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Ahhh things to do in Myrtle Beach: Broadway at the Beach (off the strip (Hwy 17) but has TONS of shopping and Hard Rock etc etc), Nascar place as mentioned, Alabama Theatre, House of Blues (might be a bit too young), golf courses are EVERYWHERE!, the "Strip" aka Ocean Blvd I believe has tons of headshop type places and other tourist traps, The Pavilion (small amousement park might not be open yet), and Putt-Putt is EVERYWHERE also.

Myrtle Beach is a NEON HELL! I hate the place. The bypass to the bypass is congested. Pawleys Island just south is nice as a good family destination as well as the beaches north in NC. The Rednecks really come out at bike week in a month or two and remain ALL SUMMER LONG!

Myrtle Beach had it's glory days when the movie "Shag" was filmed there...back in the 60s when it was a nice place.

But for the first time user enjoy the beach and the warmer weather (still kinda chilly) and help the SC economy!!!!

If you're going to hang out at an airport in Myrtle Beach, make sure it's Grand Strand. I think you'll find a lot more interesting activity there than at the International Airport.

Ray

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you taking the family citation down to myrtle?

[/ QUOTE ]

My family doesn't own a Citation.
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just asking, but didn't I see another post that said something about your mother taking your citation down to see another JC member? Maybe I mis-read it?

Haha, you must have read it wrong. We don't own any thing, she flies down to that airport every other weekend for the owners and he lives by it, so I just arranged it so Brain could get a tour of the jet. That would be an expensive trip just to show a friend an airplane
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Think the FBO will care?

[/ QUOTE ]

No not at all. I've met the FBO manager there a couple of times, nice people. Don't act suspicious and if anyone asks what you're doing, just explain. Shouldn't be a problem.

Ray

Back