My visits to flight schools

daniel10

JC has been a huge source of information in helping me choose a flight school, and after a few months of research, I have spent the past three weeks visiting school in order to make my decision.
I am posting this so that other people looking at flight schools can get the same help I did from JC, and I do not mean to start any arguments, this is just my own impressions and thinking process and they maybe different from others.
Anyway, I tried to look at different styles of schools and keep the financial matter out of the decision process for now and compare schools on quality basis only and try and find what fits me best, and only then worry about the money. I narrowed it down to 7 schools before my trip which were: Pan-Am, Ari-Ben, FSA, PEA, DCA (all in Florida) and Mazzei in CA.

Pan-Am:
This was the first school I visited so I didn't know what to expect, but I was quite impressed with what I saw. Due to Hurricane damage the place is being rebuilt and it looks like they will have quite a nice facility soon. The representative that met me was very nice and answered all my nagging questions, we toured all the offices, hanger, flight line, classrooms and housing. He also arranged for a 45 min intro flight (not a back seat) which was great, but it was difficult trying to ask the instructor questions about the school rather than enjoy the flight... I also spoke to most of the students I saw and they all seemed quite happy with the school and their choice (which turned out to be the case in all the schools - so maybe I didn't ask the right people?).
The program seemed very serious and structured, with a good amount of multi time (~110h), and I have little doubt it will be a good education. The housing seemed a bit expensive for what you get - 2 per room, 4 rooms per apartment for 495 a month is a bit expensive, and the housing looked a bit run-down.
The planes (mostly pipers) seemed to be in good shape, all with G430 and the plane to student ratio was very good. One issue I had with the G430 - I was told by the instructor that since the plane has the GPS, it has to be on and used during the flight. Although I know I will also learn how to fly with no GPS, my philosophy says I rather learn to fly with no GPS and then learn how to use it rather than learn with a GPS and then learn how to deal with it failing... I feel you become less dependant on GPS in my approach (but then, I'm not a pilot). Pipers do seem more comfortable than Cessnas though.
I was told the management had been changed a few months ago, which is both good and bad - things were not going to good here before and so might improve, but then you never know with new management...
The ACE part of the program seems nice but the cost (~8K) is a lot for something I'm not sure I really need.
I did feel the everyone there was quite honest with me and did not try to sell me loads of disinformation, which is the impression I got from the forum.
Overall I had a good impression from Pan-Am.

Ari-Ben:
Just across the street from Pan-Am, this school is on the opposite side of the scale - very laid back, do it at your own pace kind of school. Probably more like an FBO, and so is the price.
Much more self study, they have some classes (I think for PPL and CFI) but mostly it's up to you to learn the stuff, the instructors are there if you have any questions. I have nothing against this approach, it's just different from the classroom style but it could also work better for some people. The big advantage of this school is the multi time - 200h which is a big advantage when it comes to meeting the minimums of the regionals, and you may be a better pilot by spending so much time learning in a more complex aircraft rather than a single, fixed gear and prop plane. One advice I got was that what makes a good pilot is experience, not ground school, and this school sure gives you that. On the other hand, they do not use any simulators, which I see as a disadvantage because I think some things can be taught better in an FTD, while in a real aircraft you can not exceed certain limitations you can in the FTD and therefore be more prepared for that when it happens in real life.
The planes were a bit old, but then if they are maintained correctly it should be OK and it is one of the reasons for the low cost.
The housing was quite nice - only 1 per room, 3 rooms per house, first three months for free, then 500 a month.
Overall, a much smaller school than the previous one, but I don't think that's what makes the difference.

FSA:
This school gives a very strong impression through it's size - it's like walking into a small university. Everyone and everything seemed very professional and very strict. They have all the extra stuff that will make you a better pilot. Sophisticated classrooms and tons of planes. I don't think there is any need to go into detail so I will get to the point - I liked the internship option you get if you get hired as an instructor - that could be very helpful if regional job opportunities get scarce. The 4 hours in the Zlin are nice and probably useful. The housing seemed OK and the price is around 500 a month.
Overall you will certainly get excellent training and if comparable to a similar school - Pan-Am, I would choose FSA because I think at a similar price you get better value for your money and an excellent education.
So I ruled out Pan-Am.

PEA:
Another style of school. The tour was OK but I just didn't feel comfortable with this school for my own reasons.
Some points - they have a new program where the FAA approved them to do the COMM with only 160h. Me being a skeptical person, wasn't sure if to believe them, but I have heard the same thing from another school so it probably is true, however, you get less hours 160 (141) compared to 190 (141) and yet the price is the same. The way I think it is done is by skipping the time building section of the course which means you only get 10h solo for PPL and 2h more for COMM. Basically this means that almost all of your flying is with an instructor and almost no hours solo. I believe solo hours are very important for experience and confidence building because that is where no one is there to catch you if you make a mistake and I think I'd rather have them.
Anyway, I ruled out PEA.

DCA:
Again a very big and impressive school, similar to FSA and Pan-Am so I won't elaborate.
Here are a number of points - there is a 4 month waiting list to instruct at the moment, and after that you may get to instruct ground school for two months. They also have the 160h COMM program which I didn't like (see PEA).
I think the school is fine and some people may like it better than me but I would prefer to go to FSA for a similar price. So DCA is ruled out.

ATP:
My last school in Florida. My visit was not too great, and I got the feeling that the person giving me the tour was doing me a favor by showing me around. Probably comparable to Ari-Ben in style.
The main issue was the speed 60+90 days from start to finish. First let me say, I have no doubt that ATP will deliver what they say - I think they can get me through the program that fast, so that is not the issue. What I question is how the learning is done. You have to pass the PPL written 7 days after getting there, and I have no previous knowledge. I was told this is done mainly by learning from the Gleim books. When I asked if I will really know all the material, I was told I just needed to know enough to pass the written, and that I will really learn the stuff later. I just don't like this kind of approach where it's up to you to fill in the gaps. I would rather take some more time and do things the right way.
One more thing that bothered me - I had a list of questions for the school, ones that I wanted to get a reply to in person. When I asked them some difficult questions I was told I should ask the main office (two different places). When I asked for directions how to get there I was told I am not allowed to go there and I should call them. I didn't fly 7000 miles to be told to give them a call. It's not a matter of principal, it's a matter of attitude.
Another thing was that when I spoke to the students, I met four new PPL (60 day) guys and it bothered me that none of them really checked (physically, not via internet) any other school before they decided on ATP.
One plus: the free provided housing is quite nice.
Overall, if I compare the two schools which give a lot of multi time for cheap - I would prefer to go to Ari-Ben and learn at my own pace and know the material better than rush through it, even if it takes me a little longer. I know how to push myself, and I don't think it will take me more than a few month more if I invest my time. So I ruled out ATP.

Mazzei:
My last school, and one which is not talked about much in JC.
It has what may be described as a different approach to things than most schools. No glass cockpit stuff, no training for the airlines, just regular flying.
I spent 2 days with the school, spoke to a few people, and back seated a flight.
I really liked the schools attitude, the syllabus seemed very comprehensive and very well prepared. instead of formal ground school it combines self study and 1 on 1 tutoring.
This school seemed very serious but without the big offices of schools like FSA,DCA and Pan-Am.
Some points - The housing was quite nice and for 250 a month you can get a private bedroom in a two bedroom apartment.
This school uses PA38 Tomahawks as the basic trainer. (Yes, I have read all the stuff about the PA38) and I would have liked to take a flight lesson in one to be able to compare it to the 152 but unfortunately (believe it or not) my rental car broke down on my way to the school the last day (Alamo) and by the time I got things sorted out it was too late, so no flight.
The one disadvantage of this school is you only get 50h multi at the end and this may pose a problem when you need to meet regional minimums.
Overall I really liked this school, probably more for personal taste reasons.

So now I have to make a decision - I have FSA, Ari-Ben and Mazzei left. After a long conversation with a relative of mine that has a COMM with about 800TT his point was to go where you get the most flying, as that is most important. He thought I should have no problem learning on my own and I will know just as much as from a fancy classroom both from a motivation aspect and that I have spent the past four years studying for a degree in EE and he believes I should be OK with this material. I decided that as nice as FSA may be I could do just as good with my other options which are half the cost, especially considering my potential income in the next few years. So I ruled out FSA.
The two options left are quite different and one has the advantage of 200h multi but with no FTD, while the other has the advantage of maybe a learning environment that I feel better with but has only 50h multi. I haven't made my final decision yet, and am trying to think of some questions I should ask the schools that could make my decision easier. Just a thought - go to Mazzei and if needed buy 100h multi for 7K later?

I think the biggest point I can emphasize from this experience is that there is no replacement to visiting schools. I could not have come to these decisions without visiting the schools, and if I would have made my decision based on information I have read on the internet (as helpful as it may be) and phone only, I would have probably come to the wrong decision.
I can also emphasize that everyone has a different personality and the school I feel is right for me is not always right for him.

This post is long, and I have much more to say about the schools so if you have any questions about a school just PM me.

Daniel.

That was very interesting. It's impressive that you have traveled all over to help you make a very important decision rather than believe everything you see in the ads, or, for that matter, everything you hear at jetcareers.

Mazzi doesn't get talked about but I know a guy who went there, went on to instruct at ERAU, and is now at a regional. I wouldn't put Mazzi down cause their program has less multi time. You can go get more multi time somewhere else if you want. You left out Skymates? Don't like Texas?

Some of the smaller flight schools can provide excellent training at an attractive price. You just have to find one with good equipment and a good CFI who is willing to work with you full time. Not always easy to find. Have you thought along those lines at all?

Anyway, that was a very nice summary and something many jetcareer members can take a look at.

just a bit of advice. when you are looking at schools dont forget to look also at how soon graduates of their programs get hired as instructors and then move on. quite a few schools have 6+ month waits

I like a lad that gets his "hustle" on. I'm sure you probably took the search further than you posted, but even if this was it, it looks like you should do well. Good luck and if you're in Phoenix, look me up and I'll treat you to a Starbucks.

DE727UPS,
I left out Skymates for two reasons - they seemed very similar to Ari-Ben, and going through Texas would have really complicated my trip.
Smaller flight schools might be a good option, but in my case I don't think it would be a very practical one as I don't live in the US at the moment and it would be very difficult to find a good one without being familiar with the area. My plan is to move to the US and start flying right away, that is also why housing was important to me - it gives me some time to adjust and less worries at the beginning.

I asked a lot more questions than I wrote, such as contracts, refund policy, pre study, ground school and briefings, insurance, extra costs, payment breakdown, instructor hiring possibilities and benefits, cost of living and also talked to some students and instructors. But it would make a very long post much longer so if there are any specific questions about a school feel free to ask.

I forgot one more thing - after visiting the schools, got back and read the forums again, especially the posts from other people's visits. A lot of things are much more clear and make more sense!

This is a good post. I am always amazed the amount of money people spend without doing much research. With the thousands you are going to spend on training, the cost of checking out a few schools is well worth it.

When I was in your shoes back in 2000, I did the same thing. I visited Sierra in Oakland, Comair (now DCA), FSI, and Mazzei. Pan Am did not exist at that time.

My observations were similar to yours. I ended up going to FSI and received good training. I also instructed there for 2 years and left the academy after achieving ATP minimums. Of my 1100 hrs of dual given about half were in the twin.

I would not be so quick to discount Mazzei. I was very impressed when I visited. The only reason I did not go there was FSI was bigger, so I thought I would have a better chance of working there. Mazzei was definately a better deal. I currently work with someone who was an instructor there in the early to mid 90's and he has good things to say about the place. The program at Mazzei is similar to FSI, if you do your instrument in the multi (FSI includes 55 hrs of Seminole time in their commercial course as well).

There may be some confusion over minimums needed for a rating. In a 141 school you normally only need 190 hours of total time to get your initial commercial rating. Of this, up to 30 hours can be completed in a FTD like the Frasca, leaving 160 hours of flight time. You mention some schools that only require 160 hours for the commercial, so this could be what they were telling you. (It may also be possible to achieve this with less hours with FAA approval, but part 141 does specify minimum times for each rating and I was under the impression that these were not subject to negotiation.)

The way you get so many hours of multi time at Ari Ben and ATP is that they pair you up with another pilot during your 'time building' phase. So one of you flies under the hood and the other pilot is the 'safety pilot'. That way both of you can log PIC time during the flight. Since you are splitting the cost of the twin with another student, it cost about the same as a single engine plane, although you are only flying half the time. If you go to one of the other schools, you will be flying solo in a single engine plane instead. I guess both have their merits, but I think it is better experience to have to fly by yourself.

The best way to get multi time is to have someone else pay for it, and that is the advantage of these schools. FSI, Mazzei, ATP, and Ari Ben all use twins for much of their training, so instructors there get a lot of multi time. This is also a reason I chose FSI, about half of the dual lessons there are in the twin and after doing a few private pilots, I spend the majority of my time in the Seminole. It was great until I started getting CFI students in the single again once I had 400 hrs dual given (although it is rewarding to teach future CFI candidates, you can only get so excited about S-turns across a road and hearing the same briefings over and over was enough to make me scream).

I would also caution you to be careful about enrollment contracts. It has been noted in the Pan Am forum that if you decide to leave that they can keep your money for 60 days and charge a $2000 penalty. I do not think any of the other schools on your list do this, but make sure you understand what you sign. Also, do not ever 'pay in full'. It is probably reasonable to keep $10 to $15 thousand in your account at one time, but if any of the schools offer you a discount to deposit more than this, do not do it. I do not think any of the schools on your list encourage this, but you only have to look at the ATA forum on here to see why it is a bad idea.

If money is not an issue, then FSI is a good choice. It really does not cost much more than the other 'big' schools and it is probably the best place to work. If you get hired they have the best equipment, pay and benefits.

If money is an issue, I would go with Mazzei over Ari Ben or ATP. I am not a big fan on doing everything in 90 days and the equipment at Ari leaves a lot to be desired. If you instruct at Mazzei you will probably get more than enough multi time and it seemed like the employees were happy.

daniel
for what its worth Skymates has student housing 3 months included in the "Ab initio" course thats the pro course and $400 month their after.

[ QUOTE ]
If money is an issue, I would go with Mazzei over Ari Ben or ATP. I am not a big fan on doing everything in 90 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very strongly considering attending ATP in PHX.
They both have a 90 day program as well as a self pace 10 month program.
I have yet to visit the program out there an look around but from what I have seen and read ATP sounds like a huge part 61program.

-Matthew

If something drastic happens, I would ATP's self paced program is my second choice. Right now, I'm at Airsafety and "D. Pinkston and the crew" seemed really cool. I'm a loyal fellow so I decided to keep my business there, especially since they exceeded my expectations.

[ QUOTE ]

This school uses PA38 Tomahawks as the basic trainer. (Yes, I have read all the stuff about the PA38) and I would have liked to take a flight lesson in one to be able to compare it to the 152

[/ QUOTE ]

How big are you? A C150/152 is a very small plane. A PA38 is small, but seems huge compared to the 150 series, and will hold taller people quite well. Also, the visibility in the PA38 is just about the best of any GA plane. But with that, it is a huge greenhouse in the sun. That may be in issue over there in FAT.

I think I'm around 400hrs or so in the PA38. Great planes.
Not sure where you are at, but if anywhere near WVI, stop in, and I'll get you up flying in one if you wanna check it out before making your decision.

Hey ananoman,

I'm so happy to read a post from someone who has visited Mazzei as well, perhaps if Mazzei was talked about more in this forum I would have an easier decision.

I re-checked the facts and what I meant by a shortened COMM program was actually 120h flying, not 160h.

Very good point about the solo time. I was a bit worried though, since "multi time is gold" that perhaps a school that trains in multi could give me a better edge later on with the regionals, and Ari-Ben can give that edge. At Mazzei, getting hired back is harder and I was worried I could have a problem finding a job in a school that would let me build multi, but then there's always the option of buying a 100h block at Ari-Ben or Skymates if it comes down to it. Mazzei graduates do seem to get good jobs afterwards even if they don't stay with the school.

I tried to get a copy of the enrollment contract from every school I visited, as well as the refund policy. Pan-Am was straight forward about the 2000$ issue when I spoke to them. Actually the only school that would not let me keep a copy of the contract was Mazzei, but I did take my time reading it and spoke to the owner about any questions I had.

An interesting point about PEA - their refund policy said a penalty of 15% of the remaining agreed tuition. So I asked if I agreed on, say, 35K, trained for 5K and quit, that meant I still had to pay 15% of 30K which is 4.5K. The answer I got was that in most cases the balance I keep with the school (through payments) is usually not that big so in that case I simply don't add any more money to reach the 4.5K I still owe them by the contract, and "walk away". I said Isn't that a bit on the questionable side, and I was told they would not chase me for the rest of the money, that's how it is done... That made a small red flag jump up...

About the money (It always comes down to this...), FSA will really take my budget to the limit, with very little leeway after that should I go over or run into a problem. I could do it if I though that there is no other option other than FSA, but I think Mazzei and Ari-Ben are good alternatives and leave me something to help out with the hard years to come... I wasn't sure if the extra perks of FSA were worth the difference in price.

Josh,
I see you have flown both 152's and PA38. My size is not a problem (5' 7'') but when flying the 152 I did feel like the front visibility was not to great and I would probably get a seat pillow or something like that to sit higher and see better out the front if I would train in it. When I flew a PA28 it felt much better. I only sat in a PA38 but it seemed to have good visibility. I know what you mean about the greenhouse, but I hope once you are in the air it gets better. Did anyone else have the same feelings about the 152 and PA38?
Unfortunately an ~18h flight stands between us, so I can't take up your offer, but I appreciate it.

Where are you from? Since you want to work for a regional in the US, have you done any research into your ability to attain the right to work here? Is that something the schools you visited addressed at all? Just curious...

Nice Post. Everyone looking at flight schools should do exactly what you did. Go visit as many as your time and money allows so that you can get a first hand opinion of a place. Heckuva effort on your part, but will probably be well worth it in the end.

There is alot of talk of how 'multi time is gold', but I would not worry to much about this. I think it is important to do your instrument rating in the twin if possible, but beyond that you really don't need to have hundreds of hours right out of flight school. Keep in mind that if you go to a place that includes around 55 hours, you will probably finish with close to 65 anyway. Then if you do your MEI and actually spend the time you should, you will probably have another 10 - 15 by the time you get your checkride.

When the regionals are really hiring, all you really have to have is around 100 hours. If they are not hiring much, you will need many more hours and the best way to get them is by instructing. It is kind of funny there is so much emphasis on multi time anyway. The workload is the same as a big complex single when everything works, which it usually does. It is not like you have to worry about identifying the failed engine and feathering a propeller so you do not end up in the trees at the end of the runway when you fly a jet.

Back