My troubles as a CFI

I think that instead of grabbing the controls, what's worked for me is to verbally tell them what control inputs they need to correct the problem as it happens.

For some reason the verbal commands do not seem to work with my students. It's not all of my student's who I have issues with, but that select few who simply do not listen. They acknowledge what I am asking them to do (Flare, Right Rudder) but even after they say "Ok" they just keep going straight towards the ground when on approach to landing. I can't let them make the mistake because I'd end up getting fired for a prop strike :confused: I don't know, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way

A lot of it has to do (in my experience) with how they perceive your attitude. If you seem like you're in constant fear for your life and ready to snatch the aircraft from certain destruction at every moment, they'll become demoralized and wind up freezing up/getting tunnel vision. Practice looking unconcerned even when every nerve in your limbic system is screaming "we're gonna die!". Keep your voice calm and controlled until it's time that you have to take over. When and if you do have to take over, laugh it off. "Ok, see, actually, that was fine until we almost hit the runway with the nose down. Your power control was good, you just forgot the pitch part of the equation. You turned base on speed and in the right place, you just sort of stopped slowing down at that point and came in hot on final with the nose too low." (Or whatever the case may be). Praise whenever possible, and work your criticisms in between the praise. Remember what it was like to be over in the left seat with no idea what the hell was going on. Remember how easy it was to get demoralized by the tiniest slipup and how totally overwhelming it was to start out.

Every time you take the controls, you're reinforcing the student's natural belief that flying is insane and they're going to kill themselves trying to do it, so do it as little as you possibly can.

Also, think about what you're trying to learn to do in the same way that you think about what they're trying to learn to do. Lots and lots of people have learned to be "hands-off" CFIs. No one (no one I know anyway) started out as one. Keep doing it, remember what you've learned, and you'll get it. Just like them!

PS. Practice yawning. Seriously. Yawn when you don't need to. Yawn constantly. Stare out the window when you're in cruise, like you're on a long car ride and you're getting ready to start singing "100 bottles of beer". Adopt the tone of voice you might have with a buddy when you're talking about beer or women. You get the idea.

PS. Practice yawning. Seriously. Yawn when you don't need to. Yawn constantly. Stare out the window when you're in cruise, like you're on a long car ride and you're getting ready to start singing "100 bottles of beer". Adopt the tone of voice you might have with a buddy when you're talking about beer or women. You get the idea.

I like to sing obnoxious contry music at the top of my lungs while my student is doing touch and gos around the patern. Under the supject of reasonable distractions, if they can handel that, they can handel anything.

Constantly joke with your students, self depreciating humor is one of your best tools. "Oh God, you should have seen me when I was learning! I couldn't even taxi!" If they are laughing at you, they are comfortable flying the airplane, and they can now work on proficiency.

That's a symptom of looking right at the ground where the nose of the airplane is pointing. It goes away if you get them to look towards the end of the runway.

Well the issue isn't that they don't know when to flare, it's that they just don't do anything at all. If we start rolling to the left or start turning they are still unresponsive. Going back to the approach to land, they just stare at the ground and let it come up at them, not like they're flaring too late or too soon, they just lock up completely.

Well the issue isn't that they don't know when to flare, it's that they just don't do anything at all. If we start rolling to the left or start turning they are still unresponsive. Going back to the approach to land, they just stare at the ground and let it come up at them, not like they're flaring too late or too soon, they just lock up completely.

That makes me think they are overwhelmed. At some point most students will just reach their max (and they lock up, have a death grip on the yoke, do otherwise un-piloty stuff.)

If it happens near the end of a flight then maybe it is to be expected.

On the other hand, if you are seeing this all the way through with a student, then maybe you need to work on the way you are presenting yourself to them. By that I mean, is your voice calm enough? Are you talking really fast or are you talking as slowly as you remember was helpful when you started your own training? Remember positive reinforcement, too. In my short time in the right seat I've solved a few situations of unresponsiveness by calmly saying, "NAME, insert command here.." and then be sure you back their correct reaction up with a pat on the back (figuratively). Oh, and when they get to that stage its time to wrap it up for the day. Learning has ceased....

Just a couple thoughts....good luck!:)

they just stare at the ground and let it come up at them...they just lock up completely.

I repeat the diagnosis. If you stare too close to the airplane, the ground comes up really, really, fast. Looking further down the runway makes things happen a lot slower.

I repeat the diagnosis. If you stare too close to the airplane, the ground comes up really, really, fast. Looking further down the runway makes things happen a lot slower.

you mean we're not supposed to stare straight at the ground? :sarcasm::D:sarcasm::D

Back