My Trip to Germany (Lots of Pics)

Vector4Food

This job would be easier without all the airplanes
bowdown.gif

Finally got around to uploading all this.

I made a new thread because I just wanted to compile everything here into one.

I've already talked a bit about renting a car for racing on the Nurburgring. Something that even though I have a little bit of experience in fast cars, was absolutely a visceral experience. I will repeat it many times, nothing in my life has compared to it for pure adrenalin.

Yes I rented a "Stage 2 Suzuki Swift" but for your first time on the Green Hell even experienced racers suggest it, the track is just too challenging and dangerous to learn using anything bigger.

Four laps I did, and witnessed four crashes, including one totaled Porsche GT3. Best lap time I did was 9:45 Bridge-Gantry lap.

The pictures of the SS Weweselburg is the site of the SS headquarters just outside Paderborn. The "Black Sun" on the floor is on the cover of most SS history books.

The concentration camp is Dachau, just outside Munich.

These are the best pics I found going through over 600 quickly.... I drove over 1800 miles all over Germany in a total of 6 days. Just an absolute awesome country, everything about it is awesome, including legal prostitution.
naughty.gif

Anyway, enjoy....

CLIFFS:Raced Cars, Saw concentration camp, saw SS HQ drove 1800 miles on the Autobahn.

My rental car for the week

mpOWzEPl.jpg

rJqSZT7l.jpg

Any Archer fans?

bBQ0J6ol.jpg

Schloss Weweselburg (SS Headquarters in WW2)

rRMHvd8l.jpg

U9vfTnNl.jpg

The long lost Castle???!?!?!?! (Painting was on the wall there)

4E7B6Q1l.jpg

45qDBjnl.jpg

SZy469Yl.jpg

YjUf5Odl.jpg

4cI4XNEl.jpg

Hitler Radio, distributed to the population

nNHLaxTl.jpg

MmeUkgyl.jpg

fbSl1NYl.jpg

J4yOga4l.jpg

Photos were not supposed to be taken here apparently.. I find it a little disturbing that a room built around such hate, has been made into such a casual setting.
pC10Uu3l.jpg

aBeyDCdl.jpg

Dachau Concentration Camp

I've read just about every WW2 book, study you name it. I've heard the worst stories. When I set foot in those gates it was the first time in my life I was simply awash with emotion, and sadness. I'm not jewish, I didn't lose family in the camps, and I've never believed in "Energy" of places, it was just simply overwhelming at times.

KhxOCePl.jpg

This reads "Work will Set you Free" A Slogan common on most Concentration camps

g0Tuzkol.jpg

Only a few of the barracks remain as examples of the living conditions

K9VPOdxl.jpg

The main building as it was in 1941

WVf1vXjl.jpg

and Today

Q8jlj0pl.jpg

VCNoW2Rl.jpg

OUmgR0ll.jpg

aBwoV6Ml.jpg

These poplar trees are original, two each were planted in 1940 in front of each barracks, this sight, and picture for whatever reason caused me to feel the most emotion of all, which seems weird, but I think it's the face those trees grew there alongside the death, and it makes you wonder the stories they could tell.

wJmF6wol.jpg

UvEbAstl.jpg

mc7EjD6l.jpg

cBykyqEl.jpg

lUdKPmXl.jpg

uDQq5EWl.jpg

wMLcgkPl.jpg

The one gas chamber at Dachau, the small box on the wall on the left was where Zyklon-B would be dispensed into the chamber, above is a viewing port for those outside

wF0jWXll.jpg

QiG3SbNl.jpg

QYADDTWl.jpg

j6Rfo0dl.jpg

Cruising down the Autobahn towards Berchtesgaden (Eagles Nest)

H0V3aPwl.jpg

Part of Hitlers original retreat here, it sits beside the woods with many signs forbidding photography...

By the time I arrived it was very cloudy and the Eagles nest was closed, not much to see anyway, it's now a restaurant, would have been nice to see the Alps.

mQyXaNSl.jpg

e2RGDK4l.jpg

s50tZB1l.jpg

This trail, I found by searching on the internet before my trip, leads to the original Wolfs Lair, I did find it, there is a bunker complex in there, unmarked, unfortunately it was so dark none of the pictures turned out, but if you google for it, you will see this same path and what's in the woods.

I was • creeped out in there alone
laugh.gif

j9cKjrQl.jpg

Nurburgring.... details posted above... the Kid in the photo with me is some random dude from Cleveland I ended up sharing my rental with to save some money. (4 laps alone is more than 8 laps split) and he asked to come along while I drove my 4 laps so he could understand how to get around a race track... nice kid...

OY9fZoWl.jpg

JfUpO8Cl.jpg

Acn5JJ3l.jpg

0q554n6l.jpg

5tasDx7l.jpg

rrWAGocl.jpg

Thanks for looking
wavey.gif

EDIT: I copied this from another forum I peruse... didn't know everything would come with it

Awesome pictures.

I lived in southern Germany from 95-01 and absolutely loved it. There used to be a US Armed forces hotel on the same mountain as the eagles nest. I remember hiking around the area and finding those bunkers, very creepy.

Thanks for sharing.

Incredible pictures! Thanks for sharing those! I love reading/studying history, and visiting the concentration camp is something I've always wondered if I want to actually do. Did you find it difficult at all to go to Dachau?

Also, driving the ring is on the bucket list for me! I really want to get over to Europe in general and play tourist for a couple weeks.

I've only been to Cologne but it was fascinating to see the Nazi museum and the Dom cathedral. It would freak me out to drive in a big German city but maybe it's not too bad in the country.

I've only been to Cologne but it was fascinating to see the Nazi museum and the Dom cathedral. It would freak me out to drive in a big German city but maybe it's not too bad in the country.
It's fine, the drivers there are head and shoulders above North American drivers, it's easy enough to get around, drove downtown through Frankfurt including.

Incredible pictures! Thanks for sharing those! I love reading/studying history, and visiting the concentration camp is something I've always wondered if I want to actually do. Did you find it difficult at all to go to Dachau?

Also, driving the ring is on the bucket list for me! I really want to get over to Europe in general and play tourist for a couple weeks.
Walking around Dachau was the first time in my life I've been overwhelmed with various emotions, all in total silence without talking to anyone. Just stepping foot inside the gates I felt a feeling I've never felt before, and hope I'll never feel again.

However, Im very glad I went.

Considering how well the trip went overall, it's alright, however I can only imagine how incredible it must be in person... Ah well!
The bus ride to the top is fun too, and the giant elevator to bring you up to the main building is fascinating. There were paragliders everywhere, nearly 360 degree views, hiking trails that went into the mountains from the Nest, and a really good pub. I had a giant beer with a view. Plus the city of Berchtesgaden is pretty neat, including the salt mine tours.

Munich/Bavaria is a place I would like to return to in the future.

Very cool, went to almost all the same places while there with my brother recently. We just drove our rental on the 'ring though :)

Walking around Dachau was the first time in my life I've been overwhelmed with various emotions, all in total silence without talking to anyone. Just stepping foot inside the gates I felt a feeling I've never felt before, and hope I'll never feel again.

However, Im very glad I went.
It's beyond sobering, painful and gut wrenching. Your mind just goes a million miles an hour and even though you are there in the location of one of the worst events in the entire history of humans on the planet, you still cannot even wrap your mind around how something like that could have occurred. You think of the children, and the women especially and it's very difficult to keep any emotional control of yourself. But, it is something that everyone should see and something that must remain as a reminder and a memorial. I thought visiting Omaha Beach was difficult. The camps are far far worse. Thousands of souls lost. A true view of hell. I couldn't even manage to visit the crematoriums. I had to go outside and just ball and shake like a baby.

Awesome pics!

But....

Where's the pics of the girls?!? :def:

Looks like a great time! Taking a few laps at the ring would be amazing!

The bus ride to the top is fun too, and the giant elevator to bring you up to the main building is fascinating. There were paragliders everywhere, nearly 360 degree views, hiking trails that went into the mountains from the Nest, and a really good pub. I had a giant beer with a view. Plus the city of Berchtesgaden is pretty neat, including the salt mine tours.

Munich/Bavaria is a place I would like to return to in the future.

My hockey team when I lived out there would start every season with a training camp in Berchtesgaden. Beautiful city.

It's beyond sobering, painful and gut wrenching. Your mind just goes a million miles an hour and even though you are there in the location of one of the worst events in the entire history of humans on the planet, you still cannot even wrap your mind around how something like that could have occurred. You think of the children, and the women especially and it's very difficult to keep any emotional control of yourself. But, it is something that everyone should see and something that must remain as a reminder and a memorial. I thought visiting Omaha Beach was difficult. The camps are far far worse. Thousands of souls lost. A true view of hell. I couldn't even manage to visit the crematoriums. I had to go outside and just ball and shake like a baby.

The time I went was a really dreary rainy day too. Makes it that much more difficult.

Last year when my inlaws were visiting DC they wanted to check out the holocaust museum. I was expecting a similar experience, but man...that museum holds a lot back compared to Dachau.

Spent 10 years in Germany - 79 to 82 and then 85 to 92. Spangdahlem / Weisbaden and then Bitburg.

Would not trade the experience for anything

Loved the Nurburg ring. Watched many races there and even drove the old course. For those of you that think 4 laps is easy, this is probably the toughest race course to master. 1 lap is roughly 14 miles, around 160 curves and approximately 1000Ft difference in elevation. You could be racing in sun/rain and snow before 1 lap is done.

Nice pictures! I lived in Germany from 91-95. Ramstein AB. I was just a kid back then but I remember most of my experiences there. Can't wait to go back now as an adult. Sounds like you had a blast!

Back