My ATP Jacksonville tour

smokey1

Ok guys,
I just got back from the 550 mile drive to Jacksonville. Let me be the first to say it's worth it! The first thing I did when I went there was go into a small classroom with Rich, and he broke down the whole private pilot program.....and boy it goes fast......I mean they're soloing people in 5 days(I've already soloed), but thats fast. They also had a guy there from Atlanta who was almost done with his PPL who had only been there 19 days. They showed me the room where the PPL groundschool is done....and it was a classroom type enviornment with 4 desks. Rich told me that they only except 4 people per month into the PPL program.

After seeing the class facilities it was time to see the planes and maintenence facility, but as we were walking out to the line I started talking to one of the students and we ended up talking for about 45min. After talking to a couple of more students he took me and my girlfriend out and showed us the planes. First he showed us the 172's.They were emaculate, much better then the crap I've been flying, you can tell that they really baby their aircraft. I saw 4 ATP painted 172's, and one that they had just purchased that had not yet been painted. The maintenence guy said it costs around 10k to get each plane painted. Rich and I got in the plane and he started showing me some stuff on the GPS. The 172's however didn't have the dual Garmin 430's. They had a different kind that was black and white but still effective.

Next it was time to see the Seminoles. These things were awesome. All total they had about 8 at the Jacksonville facility that I saw. From the outside it is hard to tell wich Seminole was new and which one was old. We got in the Seminoles and he showed me some stuff on the Dual Garmin 430's which was pretty neat too.

After we wiped the drool off of the Seminole we went into the maintenence facility, and that was first class as well. In the shop alone I saw about 11 brand new engines. They also told me they don't overhaul engines, they just replace em'.

I was very impressed.The atmosphere in the school was also cool because all the students were in there hanging out and seemed to be having a good time. Another thing I liked about ATP was that they were straight shooters. They didn't promise me a job, or an interview or anything like that. The only thing they promised was that I would get the best training possible.

Well that was my trip.......As soon as the loan stuff goes through I plan on starting the PPL course in Jan. I can't wait!!!!!

Smokey.........................

Oh yeah, the apartment facilities are nice too

Man, that sounds very very cool!! I might consider them for a flight school to go to!

[ QUOTE ]
What does the fast PPL program cost? Is it guaranteed at one price?

[/ QUOTE ]

The PPL price (85 hours) is fixed at 4995 plus housing, but you are only allowed to take the program if you are also going to take the ACPP.

Thanks for the report smokey, I'm interested in ATP as well, sounds like a pretty classy joint. Looking forward to seeing the pictures...

Thanks for the description Smokey! Enjoy your time at ATP.
laugh.gif

The GPS in the 172's are Garmin 300's. Its not as nice as the Garmin 430's, but they get the job done. And the 2000 models generally end their call sign with TP. and you can tell by the landing light as well.

[ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, the apartment facilities are nice too

[/ QUOTE ]

You got a chance to check out the housing? Its nice isnt it? Did anyone mention to you about the free massages? they're great, which reminds me, i got to go sign up for another one.

-Brian

I am really considering ATP also. I want to start my private closer to home though and then transfer to ATP for my professional pilot courses. I might come to Jacksonville, but I was thinking more along the lines of Manassas Virginia or Chicago so I can get into the mix of things (air traffic I mean). Atlanta seems pretty cool too. I will definately be touring somewhere though. Oh, were they picky about the two year degree thing. I only have 47 credits of college, but I plan on finishing up with an online degree so I can get hours built quicker. I really hope they are not too stingy about the degree thing. Thanks and good luck.

outside,
I am not sure if you were looking at the airline career pilot or not, but if you are ATP doesn't offer it at the chicago location.

They didn't seem to be too picky about the degree thing,even though I did ask, but I'll have my degree in December so that really wasn't a factor.
Smokey.

[ QUOTE ]
outside,
I am not sure if you were looking at the airline career pilot or not, but if you are ATP doesn't offer it at the chicago location.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was looking at that. I never noticed that they didn't offer it there. Thanks though. I am calling them tomorrow with a list of flight schools in my area to see if any meet their criteria.

Back