My 1st solo! w/ one problem

Cessnapilot29

Hey all, well it's finally here. My instructor and I went up and I did 5 touch and go's and a full stop. With hearing my instructor saying I'm not here... :) Going on 3 touch and go's my instructor said give me 2 more good ones... My 4th one I came in not straight, and haven't had much practice with my cross wind landings... I tried correcting it with rudder. I come down next thing I know I see the plane going off the center lines, I danced on the rudder pedals, got it back to the center full throttle off I go. Everything else was great... Coming in on final I hear him say give me a full stop taxi back to the ramp, yeah this was when the butterflies, and me getting really nervous in a 95 degree Cessna... As hot as it was outside... I mentioned big mistake I know.... Which I said I don't feel like myself. He replies and says thats the last thing I wanna hear before I sign you off :D I corrected myself and said I'm just really nervous. Anyways parked the aircraft with a shirt like a just got out of a pool, and my arms and legs shaking... We went back inside, in the a/c :nana2: He says give me your logbook, and said hey I need your log book and give me 2 touch n go's and a full stop... He says give me your medical, I forgot my medical certificate to bring it with me... I drove home picked it up got back to the school I gave it to him, and the problems begun. I have a 1st class medical, but I didn't have a student pilot, I was told to call the FAA and order a new one... I called the next day, and explained I have my 1st class medical but not my student pilot they said hey we will send you a new one... Should take about a week... Well my instructor is leaving on vacation soon, and will be gone for a half a month, even though I called the FAA could I just call the doctor's office up that tested me and they can solve this issue to speed this process up? Thanks for reading, and happy landings...

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't your medical certificate you student pilot certificate? Mine was...

Yeah it's supposed to be. They told me, on the very top it's supposed to say something like medical certificate, and student pilot on the top. Mine just says medical certificate.... I think...

I had a student that did the same thing. Obviously the solo was delayed a bit, and he ended up just going back to the AME to get the proper certificate. I do not remember how long that process took. I'm sure it was mostly my fault for not making it clear which box to check.

See if there's an examiner around who is familiar with IACRA (the FAA's internet certificate/rating issuance platform) and is willing to spend the few minutes required to get your student pilot certificate issued. They might charge you a small fee, but you should be able to just print it out.

Yeah it's supposed to be. They told me, on the very top it's supposed to say something like medical certificate, and student pilot on the top. Mine just says medical certificate.... I think...

The medical form comes with two detachable cards on it. It sounds like they gave you the white one, which is simply a medical. You need the tan one, which is both a medical and a student license. Any DPE should be able to issue you a student pilot certificate. It may cost a small fee to process it, but it's fairly simple.

When my wife was learning to fly, she had to go get a new pilot certificate because the medical was good for 36 months, but the student license was only good for 24 months. She took her medical to the local FSDO and got a new pilot certificate the same day.

The medical form comes with two detachable cards on it. It sounds like they gave you the white one, which is simply a medical. You need the tan one, which is both a medical and a student license. Any DPE should be able to issue you a student pilot certificate. It may cost a small fee to process it, but it's fairly simple.

:yeahthat:

Our DPEs issue student pilot certs all the time. It's a quick and simple process.

Good luck.

I had a student with the same thing. Got the medical only when he needed the student certificate. I sent him to the local FSDO to get the proper paperwork. He was in and out within a few minutes, student certificate in hand.

You have to specifically tell the person you are getting the medical from (the receptionist that types the thing) that you need a Student Pilot Certificate w/ Medical.

They like to get tripped up because they think you HAVE to have a 3rd class medical for a student pilot certificate - so even if you just paid them for a 1st class they might try to hand you a 3rd class.

Nevertheless. . .once you're done with your student pilot training - the next medical will simply just be a white piece of paper instead of Tan with the medical on one side and the student pilot certificate on the other.

:D Well ladies, and gents. I finally got to do my 1st solo on the 31st. Wow!!! What a great feeling. All of my friends showed up, taking pictures and video. After my instructor, flew with me we parked the aircraft went inside and he finally signed me off... I was a bit nervous taxing but once I made it to the run up area it all went away... I almost turned down the wrong taxi way, and they were training a new guy in the tower at the time. :banghead: :D He told me to extend downwind I thought they forgot about me. I was getting kinda nervous then finally decided to ask him can I turn base? 1st no answer, then I thought they called me the radio broke up. So I called to see if they called me. 2 minutes later they said turn base. So when I finally did I could barely see the runway... So I was hauling when i got on final pretty far out with other traffic continuing on downwind turning base with a new guy in the tower making mistakes with a guy shouting in the back round, and a Lear jet coming in. In front of me but it will be a day I will never forget. I just have another 9 hrs to go... :rawk: I can't wait I will be posting some pictures soon... Thanks for your support brothers and sisters. Fly safe

Congrats!
Good luck with your training, and enjoy it
(I got my PPL in mid-May, and those days of doing solos are a great memory.)

Great job! There was also a trainee in the tower during my first solo, but nothing crazy like that happened.

It does not make it fun when you get screwed around like that due to a trainee in the tower. But regardless those are memories you will always have. I still fight the trainee at the field I fly from every single week but you will get use to it and wont care who is controlling... Congrats

Good job! Just remember, if you're extended downwind and you don't hear from the tower in a while feel free to speak up! Sounds like you did but that goes for anytime you aren't sure whats going on. If there is any doubt, speak up. Depending on what's going on, they may in fact forget about you for a little while, they are human too. Good job, keep it up!

Back