My 1st baby bird flew from the nest today!

69_Bug_Dude

The Undertaker
Well my first official student that started with zero time 2 1/2 weeks ago, officially flew the nest solo this morning!!! His flight with me went great so I took a deep breath, contained my nervousness and sent him off on his own into the traffic pattern at SRQ. After 3 very good landings, he came back to the ramp with a huge smile on his face and I think that is around the point I could breathe again! o_O

Next up, XC training flights and his solo XC trips. Yeeehaw!!! :cool:

Nice! The thing I miss the most about primary instruction is taking a student from zero time to the point where they can safely take it around the patch a few times by themselves. It truly is a satisfying experience.

I don't look forward to this at all. Congrats Eric. I'll be right there with ya soon enough.

I don't look forward to this at all. Congrats Eric. I'll be right there with ya soon enough.
It's not that bad.. The first time is nerve wracking, but it becomes less so each time afterwards. Just don't get complacent or succumb to any external (or internal for that matter) pressures to send people out before they are truly ready.

As a new CFI, that's probably going to be the hardest hurdle in instructing that you just passed. Don't get pressured into soloing someone early. You know when it needs to happen. Congrats

Thanks guys! The school that I am working with is very supportive of their instructors and they are all for sending a student solo when the instructor and chief pilot say so. :)

Back