MV-22B Osprey from Camp Pendleton Crashes in Imperial County, Reportedly Killing 5

A Life Aloft

1654794975495.png

The Marine Corps reported Wednesday that a MV-22B Osprey tiltrotor from Camp Pendleton crashed during training in Imperial County.

The aircraft from the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing went down around 12:30 p.m. near the town of Glamis in the Sonoran Desert east of Brawley.

Though there were no immediate official reports of casualties, the Los Angeles Times, citing a federal source who spoke on condition of anonymity, reported that four personnel in the tilt-rotor aircraft had been killed. A search was underway for a fifth, according to the newspaper.

“Five Marines were onboard the aircraft, and we are awaiting confirmation on the status of all members of the crew,” said 1st Lt. Duane Kampa, a spokesman for the 3rd MAW, “We ask for the public’s patience as we work diligently with first responders and the unit to identify what occurred this afternoon.”

There just hasn't been much info released as of yet. Damn. RIP Sirs.

That was one of my old units when I was in( a long time ago)they had the Phrogs. They were one of the last units that transitioned to the Ospreys in the 2012-2015 timeframe.

Ive heard through my channels there may have been 1 survivor. I was told it was the Purple Foxes. An old 46 unit.
I hope that someone lived..........even if just one. I understand that there are risks/dangers in these training events, but man, it hits hard, every time I hear/read of one...........especially from Pendleton, so close to home.

Ive heard through my channels there may have been 1 survivor. I was told it was the Purple Foxes. An old 46 unit.

All the differing news sources I have seen this morning are sadly reporting no survivors. There was mention of a possible one yesterday but no more it seems.

There was the F18 that went down as well out west within the last week or so as well. Not a good period for the Navy and Marines.....

RIP……
Both of these crashes were posted in “Military Pilots“. Sad news…

Ive heard through my channels there may have been 1 survivor.
All the differing news sources I have seen this morning are sadly reporting no survivors. There was mention of a possible one yesterday but no more it seems.

There was the F18 that went down as well out west within the last week or so as well. Not a good period for the Navy and Marines.....
Apparently, originally the 5th was "missing" for a bit which prompted some rumors of survival.

Apparently, originally the 5th was "missing" for a bit which prompted some rumors of survival.

With the Ospreys assuming there are two pilots. Are they planes more transport of 'combat' Marines ? Or are there more aircraft personnel than just the pilots?

With the Ospreys assuming there are two pilots. Are they planes more transport of 'combat' Marines ? Or are there more aircraft personnel than just the pilots?
There are enlisted aircrews on them as well as the pilots. Usually 2. There may have been a third for training in this case. I haven't heard any specifics though. I believe total min crew is 3.

Reactions: JEP
Sadly one crashed near my hangar at Marana, AZ in 2000 killing all 19 Marines on board.

Back