Muscle relaxer

Fins Up

I saw an old thread regarding muscle relaxers and flying. I'm not going to do that but how about during your off time? What are the restrictions as far as how long you have to wait after taking them before your fly? Are there any a doctor might prescribe that I am not allowed to take? Thanks.

None of the muscle relaxers are approved by the FAA. As a side note, there is little to no evidence int he medical literature that they even work. You must wait 5 dosing intervals before flying, i.e., if it is a 3 time a day or every 8 hour medication, you must wait 40 hours to fly.

What do you recommend for lower back pain? My doc keeps wanting to put me on skelaxin and I keep telling him no.

Well I never got around to going to see a doc for the neck pain. What seemed to work best was running a few miles for a few days. I took a break when the neck pain began but it seems running must have shaken loose whatever was kinked up in there.

None of the muscle relaxers are approved by the FAA. As a side note, there is little to no evidence int he medical literature that they even work. You must wait 5 dosing intervals before flying, i.e., if it is a 3 time a day or every 8 hour medication, you must wait 40 hours to fly.

I have a lot of tension in my masseter muscle, mostly due to stress, I have tried to stay away from medications due to how they may affect my flying abilities...

Anything I can take that won't keep me grounded from flying?

Just so I'm clear, while no muscle relaxers are permitted while flying (obviously), they are permitted when away from work if you wait 5 dosage intervals (or is if 5 half-lives?) between the last time you take them and returning to the cockpit. Is that right. I was recommend Robaxin 750.

You are correct. Just a short comment - there is no good scientific evidence "muscle relaxers" work at all. Just take ibuprofen.

Thanks. I have tried Ibuprofin up to 800mg and I didn't do anything to help with the stiff neck. Time to try something else.

FWIW, I was prescribed muscle relaxers a few years ago for a back injury, and they worked. They also made me sleep 12-15 hours at a time...so be prepared for that should you ever take them.

Check out the Egoscue method. Some books out there and it has helped me with chronic back pain a good amount. They have clinics that do free evaluations but the sessions are $$ after that.

If the Doc says they don't work then I believe. Epson Salt baths, walking/moving at every chance, and a foam roller have really helped my back out. It's best to avoid the drugs.

Back